Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I think I need to pour myself a little somethin-somethin.

I was always the wheel man for the team. The one time I wasn't, my junior about wrecked us. Team Daddy fired him and drug me up front
Lord have mercy Dads are sure funny about taking care of the dang equipment! Every now and then ya got to remind them, “ Hey, we are Govt property too” Of course standard answer.. I can replace you.

So buddy flew down to Arkansas to attend Black Bear Bonanza with the Bear Grease clan. Gracie welcomed him

B263848F-0D8C-41A5-9BDB-820BA0380F37.jpeg

I finally got my new Ruger air rifle. Seems like a good piece. Defiantly made in China. They did a good job of trying to cover that up.
I have not cleaned it yet so no shooting.
The Amazon distribution people must be anti gun cause this thing was blatantly mispackaged.
The gun comes in a well packaged gun sized cardboard box but the Amazon person put it in this huge Amazon box with no stuffing materials.
Every time you pick it up it would get slammed into another plane of the box. I did it myself when I brought it in.
When i opened the amazon box there was Styrofoam everywhere and the barrel was starting to protruding from the end of the Ruger box.
I don't see any damage though I did clean some funny looking material where the barrel got pressed into the rear site.
It's probable glue but it seemed more like that stuff that grows on batteries but it passed the baking soda test.
I should get around to shooting it this weekend.

I finally got my new Ruger air rifle. Seems like a good piece. Defiantly made in China. They did a good job of trying to cover that up.
I have not cleaned it yet so no shooting.
The Amazon distribution people must be anti gun cause this thing was blatantly mispackaged.
The gun comes in a well packaged gun sized cardboard box but the Amazon person put it in this huge Amazon box with no stuffing materials.
Every time you pick it up it would get slammed into another plane of the box. I did it myself when I brought it in.
When i opened the amazon box there was Styrofoam everywhere and the barrel was starting to protruding from the end of the Ruger box.
I don't see any damage though I did clean some funny looking material where the barrel got pressed into the rear site.
It's probable glue but it seemed more like that stuff that grows on batteries but it passed the baking soda test.
I should get around to shooting it this weekend.
its an air rifle, open up a window, pick a target and report back!

shots-fired-shooting-gun.gif

First and only shot at 25 feet. I think it too loud and powerful to be shooting a lot around the house. At least a better setup that might hide the report. I was surprised by the kick.

20230307_162256.jpg

Last edited:
So today kicks off a five day instructors block. Students are trying to become NRA pistol instructors And RSOs. It is a long five days for me and my partner instructors. Today we are trying to get them qualified with pistols. Some can and some can’t. This was day one, so they will gradually improve. It is a humbling day for most. Guys think the qualification aspect is simple, right up till they have to shoot! Hah!

48FA692D-2E30-40E5-97EB-6EDBADBC0E69.jpeg

86BC66C9-E9D0-45A6-8EBA-CBC4E572A7A6.jpeg

So today kicks off a five day instructors block. Students are trying to become NRA pistol instructors And RSOs. It is a long five days for me and my partner instructors. Today we are trying to get them qualified with pistols. Some can and some can’t. This was day one, so they will gradually improve. It is a humbling day for most. Guys think the qualification aspect is simple, right up till they have to shoot! Hah!

View attachment 1716060459

View attachment 1716060460
Looks like a good amount of candidates. Good for you SLO

I am totally stealing that! This is the epitome of Hemis life right now. She is becoming less and less tolerant as the pup becomes bigger stronger and more acrobatic! I had forgotten how much more athletic the Mals are. My job literally every single morning is to exercise The pup strenuously for an hour or so to burn the first wave of hyper off. If I don’t it is game on with Hemi. The pup has become my shadow.
I have heard Mals described as German Shepherds on crack.
I was fooled by the one we had for a while. When I met her she was laid back and very affectionate. When she met up with our shepherds, playtime became psycho time. When she tore my girlfriends favorite shepherd up, (just playing too wild) she had to go. She got re-homed to a friend of ours where she could be the only dog in the house hold. Very successful adoption.

IMG_20211110_065146.jpg

IMG_20211110_065041.jpg

Last edited:
I was fooled by the one we had for a while. When I met her she was laid back and very affectionate. When she met up with our shepherds, playtime became psycho time. When she tore my girlfriends favorite shepherd up, (just playing too wild) she had to go. She got re-homed to a friend of ours where she could be the only dog in the house hold. Very successful adoption.

View attachment 1716060522

View attachment 1716060523
Good looking dog.

View attachment 1716060459

View attachment 1716060460
I want to say, I am so happy for you and your family :thumbsup: seeing you hold your own class up on your property I a great thing cousin, your hard work and dedication to teaching is in play on your own place, outside John.

FB_IMG_1596370908815.jpg

View attachment 1716060522

View attachment 1716060523
Great looking hound! They can be lover dogs for sure. In my infinite wisdom I allow mine to jump up in my lap and snuggle. Not satisfied that was my brightest move! But to me there is simply nothing better than a dog in your lap or at your feet.

I have one, no issues yet with many rounds through it. I run the WMR cylinder the most.

I've got one, it's a fun little gun. For $100 it's pretty hard to pass up. Works as intended every time so far using the 22lr cylinder.

Last year I went and visited my old platoon sergeant from my 2nd Iraq deployment. He gifted me a Ruger AR10 which is pretty much brand new. I got a bipod for it but I’m still using the iron sights. I wanna get a nice scope for it like an Acog, there some other scopes not so expensive? This is just a hobby of mine. Thanks Dustin

Last edited:
Last year I went and visited my old platoon sergeant from my 2nd Iraq deployment. He gifted me a Ruger AR10 which is pretty much brand new. I got a bipod for it but I’m still using the iron sights. I wanna get a nice scope for it like an Acog, there some other scopes not so expensive. This is just a hobby of mine. Thanks Dustin

Sounds like a great piece Dustin. What were you thinking about the application/distance, etc? A number of relatively inexpensive options kicking around out there.

Last year I went and visited my old platoon sergeant from my 2nd Iraq deployment. He gifted me a Ruger AR10 which is pretty much brand new. I got a bipod for it but I’m still using the iron sights. I wanna get a nice scope for it like an Acog, there some other scopes not so expensive. This is just a hobby of mine. Thanks Dustin

So in case you aren't aware, a LOT of optics companies will give you an industry discount for being in the military. I get 30% off from Leupold and 40% off from EOTech and I believe Vortex is right around there too.

Might help ya get more scope than you were originally planning!

Sounds like a great piece Dustin. What were you thinking about the application/distance, etc? A number of relatively inexpensive options kicking around out there.
Most my shooting is done just in the woods so no more than 300m. It is a great piece so far I feel awesome to be gifted such a nice rifle.
4D9EF6CC-20E5-4243-B1DD-0C28FABAF41F.jpeg

Last edited:
So in case you aren't aware, a LOT of optics companies will give you an industry discount for being in the military. I get 30% off from Leupold and 40% off from EOTech and I believe Vortex is right around there too.

Might help ya get more scope than you were originally planning!
Awesome to know I’m not active anymore just a vet. I have a EOTech red dot on my AR-15 right now now and I like it.

It still applies for veterans as well. Everyone in my group except me are veterans and all get the discount. I am not former military but I work at a defense contractor so they extend the offer to me as well since I am in the industry.

And Thank you for your service!

Well, just picked up a new carry piece. M&P9 subcompact. I am not sure why they changed the name to sub compact, as it's the same size as the old compact I used to have. I sold my Compact and replaced it with a Shield when they came out ages ago, now I am going back to the (sub)compact. It's pretty much the same size as the Shield, just a double stack (13) vs single stack (7), the barrel is also 0.3" longer. Here's the new one on top of the Shield for size comparison. The 2.0 trigger is way better than the 1.0, but still kinda crappy. It feels like most of the gritty feel is from the striker block, so I'll clean it up a little and if it doesn't help, I grab the ultimate striker block from Apex, it's a night and day difference.

20230309_155333.jpg

Last year I went and visited my old platoon sergeant from my 2nd Iraq deployment. He gifted me a Ruger AR10 which is pretty much brand new. I got a bipod for it but I’m still using the iron sights. I wanna get a nice scope for it like an Acog, there some other scopes not so expensive? This is just a hobby of mine. Thanks Dustin
If the rifle was a gift, it shouldn't hurt to buy a decent optic. As you know, 7.62 can really reach out. I'd get a 1 to 6 or 8 power, tactical type unit. 2-cents.

-
Back