Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
If the rifle was a gift, it shouldn't hurt to buy a decent optic. As you know, 7.62 can really reach out. I'd get a 1 to 6 or 8 power, tactical type unit. 2-cents.
Being a gift, def makes it easier to splurge. If it was my Mopars I’d already spent to much on them. I’m applying for the discounts at a few manufacturers now thanks to @72Duster440

Henry Repeating Arms announcement released earlier today:

Henry .45-70 Lever Action Rifle Safety Recall​

Henry Repeating Arms recently discovered a safety issue affecting certain lever action .45-70 Gov’t rifles manufactured during the period from December 14, 2022, through January 11, 2023. Henry is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers.
To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using all Henry Repeating Arms lever action .45-70 rifles and not load or fire them until determining whether the rifle is subject to this recall.

The Issue & Fix:​

Under certain conditions, it is possible that some of these rifles may unintentionally discharge without the trigger being pulled if the hammer is released or dropped from the cocked position. Henry has identified the cause of the issue as firing pins that may not meet specifications and is replacing the firing pin to correct it.

Models Affected:​

The list of models affected by this recall are as follows: H010G, H010GAW, H010GAWP, H010GCC, H010X, H024-4570.
To determine whether your specific Henry lever action .45-70 is subject to this recall, please enter your serial number in the box at the bottom of this page, ensuring you’ve entered the correct letters and numbers.

Your firearm is not subject to this recall if you obtained your rifle before December 2022​

Actions To Take:​

Confirm whether or not your firearm is affected by inputting your serial number in the form below. If your firearm is not affected, no further action is needed.
If your firearm is affected, continue filling out the form to submit a recall service request. Once approved, you will receive a prepaid return shipping label and further instructions.
After your firearm is serviced with a replacement firing pin, Henry Repeating Arms will send a $50 eGift card for HenryPride.com.

Henry .45-70 Lever Action Rifle Safety Recall | Henry Repeating Arms

Some informative language directly out of the bill that passed in my new state this week….
FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY try not to stray into the politics. I was interested in “the list” and found this first bit…
The legislature intends to limit the
prospective sale of assault weapons, while allowing existing legal
owners to retain the assault weapons they currently own.”

p. 2 SHB 1240

AK-74 in all forms
Algimec AGM-1 type semiautomatic
American Arms Spectre da semiautomatic carbine AR15, M16, or M4 in all forms
AR 180 type semiautomatic
Argentine L.S.R. semiautomatic
Australian Automatic
Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semiautomatics Barrett .50 cal light semiautomatic
Barrett .50 cal M87
Barrett .50 cal M107A1
Barrett REC7
Beretta AR70/S70 type semiautomatic
Bushmaster Carbon 15
Bushmaster ACR
Bushmaster XM-15
Bushmaster MOE
Calico models M100 and M900
CETME Sporter
CIS SR 88 type semiautomatic
Colt CAR 15
Daewoo K-1
Daewoo K-2
Dragunov semiautomatic
Fabrique Nationale FAL in all forms
Fabrique Nationale F2000
Fabrique Nationale L1A1 Sporter
Fabrique Nationale M249S
Fabrique Nationale PS90
Fabrique Nationale SCAR
FAMAS .223 semiautomatic
Galil
p. 3
SHB 1240

Heckler & Koch G3 in all forms Heckler & Koch HK-41/91 Heckler & Koch HK-43/93 Heckler & Koch HK94A2/3 Heckler & Koch MP-5 in all forms Heckler & Koch PSG-1
Heckler & Koch SL8
Heckler & Koch UMP
Manchester Arms Commando MK-45 Manchester Arms MK-9
SAR-4800
SIG AMT SG510 in all forms
in all forms
SIG SG550
SKS
Spectre M4
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sterling Mk 1
Armory BM-59 Armory G3
Armory SAR-8 Armory SAR-48 Armory SAR-3 Armory M-21 sniper Armory M1A
Sterling Mk 6/7
Steyr AUG
TNW M230
FAMAS F11
Uzi 9mm carbine/rifle

My menagerie.
The Black is Mopar, Cuda on the bed, Hemi sitting, and Magnum, with the ears down, is the deaf one.

IMG_20230311_101500.jpg

IMG_20230311_101442.jpg

IMG_20230311_101513.jpg

IMG_20230311_101520.jpg

Ok that’s a cool looking tribe! Do you own stock in a vacuum company? Hah! I bet Magnum melts every heart in the house.
He does now. It took us way, WAY too long to figure him out. Let's say his behavior did not endear him to my girlfriend, and he was a little leary of her.
Now that we understand him, their relationship has improved 1000%, and he is the most affectionate of my brood. He does play aggressively with the others, and when he accidentally hurts us (thru play excitement) we now shrug it off, because he can't hear us cry out.

He does now. It took us way, WAY too long to figure him out. Let's say his behavior did not endear him to my girlfriend, and he was a little leary of her.
Now that we understand him, their relationship has improved 1000%, and he is the most affectionate of my brood. He does play aggressively with the others, and when he accidentally hurts us (thru play excitement) we now shrug it off, because he can't hear us cry out.
Good for you guys! Most folks won’t take the time or effort to figure stuff like that out. They just give up on the animal. I am not sure why but every deaf dog I have ever encountered has just been a great dog. Magnum was lucky to find you guys. But man o man I bet you go thru some vacuum cleaner bags!

Good for you guys! Most folks won’t take the time or effort to figure stuff like that out. They just give up on the animal. I am not sure why but every deaf dog I have ever encountered has just been a great dog. Magnum was lucky to find you guys. But man o man I bet you go thru some vacuum cleaner bags!
We've killed at least one specialized pet hair vacuum cleaner....so far.
They aren't nicknamed German Shedders for nothing.

Well I finally get a break from students today. We just got done doing a five day instructors block. The Arkansas State Police require anyone applying to become a conceal carry instructor to have a NRA range safety officer certificate . As a result we get a lot of very inexperienced students. “ I have been hunting and shooting my whole life” Does not begin to prepare you to become an RSO. Nor does PRETENDING you are an X Navy seal, Halo jumper, Delta HRT member, Ranger, Marine etc etc etc. I get posers in every single class. They wear me out, they puff and posture for their fellow unsuspecting students. Then we go to the range! Hah! Shooting is kind of like welding, you can talk all the smack you want but at some point your hands got to prove it. Takes about two seconds for that verification! Hah!

Well I finally get a break from students today. We just got done doing a five day instructors block. The Arkansas State Police require anyone applying to become a conceal carry instructor to have a NRA range safety officer certificate . As a result we get a lot of very inexperienced students. “ I have been hunting and shooting my whole life” Does not begin to prepare you to become an RSO. Nor does PRETENDING you are an X Navy seal, Halo jumper, Delta HRT member, Ranger, Marine etc etc etc. I get posers in every single class. They wear me out, they puff and posture for their fellow unsuspecting students. Then we go to the range! Hah! Shooting is kind of like welding, you can talk all the smack you want but at some point your hands got to prove it. Takes about two seconds for that verification! Hah!
My drill sergeants always told me they’d rather teach a recruit with 0 shooting experience. Then the recruit who’s been hunting his whole life. It’s harder to change the bad habits instilled already by dad.

My drill sergeants always told me they’d rather teach a recruit with 0 shooting experience. Then the recruit who’s been hunting his whole life. It’s harder to change the bad habits instilled already by dad.

I'd agree with your drill sergeant. I taught people how to be truck drivers for decades. Teaching a newby good habits is lots easier than un-teaching bad habits with an experienced person.

Some informative language directly out of the bill that passed in my new state this week….
FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY try not to stray into the politics. I was interested in “the list” and found this first bit…
The legislature intends to limit the
prospective sale of assault weapons, while allowing existing legal
owners to retain the assault weapons they currently own.”

p. 2 SHB 1240

AK-74 in all forms
Algimec AGM-1 type semiautomatic
American Arms Spectre da semiautomatic carbine AR15, M16, or M4 in all forms
AR 180 type semiautomatic
Argentine L.S.R. semiautomatic
Australian Automatic
Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semiautomatics Barrett .50 cal light semiautomatic
Barrett .50 cal M87
Barrett .50 cal M107A1
Barrett REC7
Beretta AR70/S70 type semiautomatic
Bushmaster Carbon 15
Bushmaster ACR
Bushmaster XM-15
Bushmaster MOE
Calico models M100 and M900
CETME Sporter
CIS SR 88 type semiautomatic
Colt CAR 15
Daewoo K-1
Daewoo K-2
Dragunov semiautomatic
Fabrique Nationale FAL in all forms
Fabrique Nationale F2000
Fabrique Nationale L1A1 Sporter
Fabrique Nationale M249S
Fabrique Nationale PS90
Fabrique Nationale SCAR
FAMAS .223 semiautomatic
Galil
p. 3
SHB 1240

Heckler & Koch G3 in all forms Heckler & Koch HK-41/91 Heckler & Koch HK-43/93 Heckler & Koch HK94A2/3 Heckler & Koch MP-5 in all forms Heckler & Koch PSG-1
Heckler & Koch SL8
Heckler & Koch UMP
Manchester Arms Commando MK-45 Manchester Arms MK-9
SAR-4800
SIG AMT SG510 in all forms
in all forms
SIG SG550
SKS
Spectre M4
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Springfield
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sterling Mk 1
Armory BM-59 Armory G3
Armory SAR-8 Armory SAR-48 Armory SAR-3 Armory M-21 sniper Armory M1A
Sterling Mk 6/7
Steyr AUG
TNW M230
FAMAS F11
Uzi 9mm carbine/rifle
That list has been around for many years, in many places. However, people are soft enuff, and the commies strong enuff...that they will institute this far and wide. Do not comply or capitulate. This is all anti-Constitutional. Be an American, behave like an American.

I hear you, but I've only been back here for the last 6 months and can't take any responsibility for where the political TIDE is right now. I'm telling y'all that this is the 1994 "Ban" V 2.0 and like the TIDE it will come in and go out. Right now, in the spirit of this thread y'all should take the opportunity to look over this list and realize that there may be some hard inventory lookin' for a new home, somewhere else, real fast, for good prices....... all Im sayin'....

Hey guys let’s keep the thread here in the general area. We delve into the political arena and we will get moved to N&P. The moderators have a tuff enough job without us helping them!
Here's that puppy I showed you back in September, hope it's not a repost, 8 months old, I reckon

20230130_053016.jpg

Here is the latest from our new rescue pup! She has decided she is a fan of pillows. Our boy brought over his what he thought was high energy lab mix dog, maybe two years old? Everything was going swimmingly until his dog decided to snap and snarl. He did however get to see what a true athletic high energy dog moves like. Hah! The pup moves like Zorro!

2FE6A04A-5317-43EC-B3C8-CE7CECD21DC3.jpeg

I’ll keep my thoughts on the NRA membership deal to myself. Been away from this thread for a couple months but here is Maverick hard at work.

CE88D9C7-7915-48CA-AABA-C6C00E6EDE99.jpeg

I’ll keep my thoughts on the NRA membership deal to myself. Been away from this thread for a couple months but here is Maverick hard at work.

View attachment 1716063033
I agree, while I am by no means the worlds biggest fan of the NRA. It is what it is in the gun instructors world. Till Wayne goes I doubt much will change. On plus side the folks that work on training and education side work very hard to facilitate change in training and try to stay current. It is a totally different set of folks vs membership side. USCCA is making a run at the education side and in fact I am scheduled to become an instructor for them as well. Their material is much more relevant to todays landscape. Great looking hound! We know who owns the couch!

Just got this today. Cimarron Firearms sa revolver. 4.75" barrel chambered in .357 Magnum.
IMG_20230314_180757.jpg

-
Back