Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
This was always one of my heroes growing up.

that was great to watch
to bad he stopped before he started shooting at coins in my budget

i enjoy watching this guy

he has got all sorts of fun videos (most of em informative but with a lot of humor)
and then he's got the one where his "budget" 50 call exploded on him

This was always one of my heroes growing up.

That guy amazes me to this day. I typically shoot right at 700-1000 practice rounds per month during match season. I can’t even imagine how many rounds he has shot to become that handy. I would have no chance replicating that. I would run out of ammo long before I ever hit the dang coin!

that was great to watch

he has got all sorts of fun videos (most of em informative but with a lot of humor)

His 50 cal fail was epic!

Well I just got done putting together a little carbine for teaching demos. It is an Anderson lower, Mag pul furniture and as light as I could make it. Went to secure (weld pin) flash suppressor and did not have a correct size roll pin! Arghh! My goal was not to go to town today. I am mounting a DPP red dot on it. Gonna look funky because I took the DPP off a 320 and it is coyote brown. Don’t care price was right.

His 50 cal fail was epic!
watching that 50 call blow up in his face reminded me how old i am

it hurt thinking about having something like that knock you in the face, but when he mentioned it was his dad who was filming and applied a tourniquet and drove him to the hospital, man thinking that might have been my boy hurt way more

I think this will impact a few of us. However it is an executive order and not a law. Somebody needs to put the brakes on on this guy.

that was great to watch

I think they figured out that it was the ammo that caused that blowup, but the budget .50 was a Serbu product designed by a guy named (online) Royal Nonesuch. He was notorious for creating shoddy weapons that never seemed to fail when the Youtube camera was rolling, but that I would not be caught near. I think the Nonesuch kid ended up married to gun designer Mark Serbu's daughter or something.

Suffice to say, I now question the design of a firearm thoroughly before I buy/fire.

So here is the little carbine and the result. Shots numbered one two are exactly that. First two shots after bore sighting and virgin rounds. Shots 3n4 in the black are slow fire off sandbag at 36 yards. Balance of holes was rest of the mag doing rapid fire again at 36 yards Off a fifty gallon drum with a sand bag on top. And i found a pin!

4661A026-1D12-4BA1-848E-63AFE9486586.jpeg

16BEF0E7-C54D-4C0E-B649-B6BBF6A0F17E.jpeg

F34CE11E-3079-4A44-A600-C89CB1A44FC1.jpeg

So as many of you know I am a sponsored shooter, when I posted my little carbine results on our Blair creek face book page my fellow firearms instructors lit me up for the 36 yard thing. Holy smokes can my fellow instructors be a bit tedious! Fifty yards this fifty yard that. Oh heck ya I can shoot at fifty yards! But I set mine up at 36 yards! If it is good enough for my Marine Corps it is good enough for me! Three years back to back Champion should in theory negate the argument! Hah!

3E83E44B-FA2F-4813-AA13-91003C555817.jpeg

How long of barrel?
1/2 inch longer than legal. Basically as short as I can be and still be a rifle. I have not got into the whole SBR thing. I travel too much and don’t want all the red tape that goes with a “pistol” in rifle caliber. I recognize the value and desire for them but it just does not appeal to me.

1/2 inch longer than legal. Basically as short as I can be and still be a rifle. I have not got into the whole SBR thing. I travel too much and don’t want all the red tape that goes with a “pistol” in rifle caliber. I recognize the value and desire for them but it just does not appeal to me.

What is the upper receiver on that gun? I may have missed it.

I’ve got two rifles with Anderson lowers and another two lowers waiting for builds. I prefer aero for slightly more but I have no real complaints with Anderson. I’m much more picky about the upper.

Yeah, NFA stuff can be a PITA. Rules and forms for everything, and ya better get your paperwork in line, an eon before you need to go somewhere. Most of it is just stupid and a silly control thing. Seems like we should be telling them what to do, or go away.

Riding in the back seat of the truck all day is EXHAUSTING...

:lol:

She's such a trooper

View attachment 1716066113
Sometimes I think we need a"love" button on here... she looks so much like my old gal Princess, who passed away in 2020 ( Florida black Mouth Cur) it's just uncanny, looks like you got you a good dog there Sir! Oh and FU Cancer!

Last edited:
Was kindof hopeful seeing a Brown Bess (for auction) featured by Ian at Forgotton Weapons this evening.
OK. The musket is cool. There are fairly few of these surviving, and many less up for sale.
The little video was OK, but a great example of when you don't know a subject, admit it and find someone who does.

The musket still has traces of some its ownership engravings, which apparently indicate it was with the 52nd Regt of Foot.
Well the lock currently on the musket is 1777 pattern. The Regiment was already here (in Boston) by 1775...
So that musket either was issued after the Regiment to get reformed, or was an earlier musket that got a newer lock at some point...

and folks, find any instance where one or two volleys were fired and then battalion charged, and I will find you a dozen actions where that did not happen.

Claiming it was here during the War for Independence may help run the price higher, but it ain't fully honest.

Was kindof hopeful seeing a Brown Bess (for auction) featured by Ian at Forgotton Weapons this evening.
OK. The musket is cool. There are fairly few of these surviving, and many less up for sale.
The little video was OK, but a great example of when you don't know a subject, admit it and find someone who does.

The musket still has traces of some its ownership engravings, which apparently indicate it was with the 52nd Regt of Foot.
Well the lock currently on the musket is 1777 pattern. The Regiment was already here (in Boston) by 1775...
So that musket either was issued after the Regiment to get reformed, or was an earlier musket that got a newer lock at some point...

and folks, find any instance where one or two volleys were fired and then battalion charged, and I will find you a dozen actions where that did not happen.

Claiming it was here during the War for Independence may help run the price higher, but it ain't fully honest.
So hard to find unmolested flint arms.

Would have been nice if he used correct terminologies in explaining the components and attributes of the musket...

Last edited:
So hard to find unmolested flint arms.
I agree.
It should have been presented for what it is, or likely is. Not that many 1777 pattern muskets made it over here during the war, and considering that Regiment was largely back in the UK getting rebuilt from '78-'83, it just raises questions. A turnscrew and read of Goldstein & Mowbray's book would be enough to look for some clues.
I don't consider Ian a run of the mill youtube pseudo-historian. He's built a niche market as a knowledgable presenter of historical and unusual firearms, because he actually is pretty good. Good enough to parse secondary and even primary source material - at least in the areas he knows.

Did you get to see this exhibit? I'm not sure if its still up.
One of the few times I've had a chance to study good examples of a wide variety of Rev War infantry weapons.

Did you get to see this exhibit? I'm not sure if its still up.
One of the few times I've had a chance to study good examples of a wide variety of Rev War infantry weapons.
[/URL]

Not sure how long it's been there... it's been s few decades since I've been to Williamsburg.

Do you ever go to the MACA show in Timonium, MD at the fairgrounds?

Future Show Dates | Baltimore Antique Arms Show

It was last weekend... it's pretty amazing.

Not sure how long it's been there... it's been s few decades since I've been to Williamsburg.

Do you ever go to the MACA show in Timonium, MD at the fairgrounds?

Future Show Dates | Baltimore Antique Arms Show

It was last weekend... it's pretty amazing.
I have not and would like to.
Need to get it on my radar to make sure it happens. It's both exhibits and sales?

"To Arm Against an Enemy" is relatively new. My understanding was it would consist of 3 or 4 special exhibits. Not sure if that happened. I was there 2019.
Here's a much more complete catalog

both exhibits and sales?

There are some exhibits and displays... not a huge area. National Park Service usually has a Springfield Armory display and some historical reenactment groups and societies. . Majority of the space is sales tables of weapons and militaria.

Screenshot_20230322_221236_Chrome.jpg

After looking at the 1777 Pattern in the Williamsburg exhibit, the one up for auction lacks the flared front on the second ramrod pipe.

After looking at the 1777 Pattern in the Williamsburg exhibit, the one up for auction lacks the flared front on the second ramrod pipe.

And you never know what sort of repairs were done in the field or if the gunsmith did a little something diffent
Not sure of the methods of production but assume that it was not all that dissimilar to postwar practices in the US where distributed gunsmiths built arms to a specification and government approval. I used to recall more correctly the series of proof marks and what element of assembly and inspection they represented. I'd have to look it up again

-
Back