Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Ok so everyone has their own way to set up and dial in a thermal. This evening I was sorting out a SIG Echo 3 thermal sight. They are a bit complex at first but kind of like a laser level once you figure out what aspect you need you can ignore the rest! They are what I would consider the high end of the middle on thermal scopes. You can take snap shots or videos via the screen. It has USB ports and blutooth capabilities. I personally think they are a darn good piece of equipment for the price. They retail right at 2400. As a result I do not often get to tinker with one. When it comes to thermals you can literally spend all you want, I don’t think there is a ceiling! Hah! Anyway me being a redneck welder this is how I do it. I take a 36 inch heliarc mild steel fill rod and bend 180s on both ends. Then I feed a large SST washer thru one end and then hang the whole thing on target stand. Then I grab my handy dandy grill lighter and warm the washer up with flame. That baby will light up like a Christmas tree in the thermal. Then just like any other scope ya put the thing on the thing and press the thing! Make adjustments and verify!

View attachment 1716156273
Shouldn't there be a POI hole right behind the washer ?

Shouldn't there be a POI hole right behind the washer ?
Hah! In theory, but I took the pix while it was still light enough to get a picture. I like to finish thermals or NV (IR) stuff when it is pitch black. Those shots were directly after mounting sight. It has a QD so I was dinking around with the tension settings on the QD. Take it off put it on verify repeatability. We call it walking the dog, I was working my way towards the washer! Once it got dark we dialed it in. My shoulder is pulp! Been a long day of sighting in rifles. Think I have earned a toddy! Cheers guys.

I have yet to sight mine in. I know what distance I want to do it at, but haven't picked a rifle. Either my POF/308...or my suppressed Noveske SPR/556. Once on...not to be moved or changed.

IMG_0021.jpeg

Thanks John, and yes. Exactly that. My wife is very gun savvy. I can’t get anything past her! Sounds like you and your boy had a great racing season this year, congrats.

I had fun but I really stunk this year. Some within my control and some wasn’t. Thank you very much for the kind years. I’m in my bonus years but I’m really hoping it’s in my sons budget to get his car on the track next season. He bought a good powerglide and custom built 9 inch rearend and I will supply the engine. But his tow vehicle and trailer need more work than I can imagine. We shall see.

I was able to find some from a different source for 25 cents shipped but it is not a brand a know (capital cartridge)
I used a small manufacturer last year for cheap ammo in a training class. It was fine for the class and practice but would not use it for competition or self defense. Three or four primers failed to fire on first strike, one or two have failed to fire on two hits, out of roughly 500.
I thought Hmm, must be because nobody wants them and they slowed production. NOPE. It seems people are flocking to the 410 for home defense.
As best I can tell, most ammo and components are made in batches. Whereas 9mm has come down in price and increased in availability, .38 Spl lagged, and less popular rounds like .32 and .25 ACP remained hard to find nd priced high the last I looked (early summer). Even 30-06 and 8mm Mauser rifle was still quite expensive.
By same token most folks do not live on a rifle range so that’s fair. The worst ones are the guy that walks in and says I just mounted this scope can you dial it in?
No state game land ranges? Even NJ has state game commission ranges!
It's interesting being at the range as general rifle deer season approaches. Most plan on 3 to 6 shots from the bench. That's it. Helped a couple guys just on thinking it through - getting them back to 25 or 50 yards so they can begin to see what's going on. Hardly any practice off-hand or any position more like they would use in the field.
Many customers are quasi embarrassed when handing over a rifle to get dialed in.
I very much respect your patience and ability to make them feel comfortable.

I like the 'deterrent'/fear factor of the pump racking, also...can't help it!
LOL. But, Seriously, I'm sure you know that's not a good move in confrontation tacticly, legally or morally.

I used a small manufacturer last year for cheap ammo in a training class. It was fine for the class and practice but would not use it for competition or self defense. Three or four primers failed to fire on first strike, one or two have failed to fire on two hits, out of roughly 500.
These are 124 grain FMJs

I only use those for target practice and plinking
For EDC I use Hornady critical defense

Well back to the grind of deer season. Happy Monday ya lead slingers. Sight in services will be in full swing this week. Opening day is right around the corner. Asking what caliber is best for deer is like asking what cam should I put in my 360! Our deer here are small and relatively close range. I typically use a short light FN bolt rifle chambered in 308. As a young lad I used 30-30s and 243. Then migrated to 30-06 and the last twenty years or so just my handy 308. Arguably the most deer killed in my home State is with a 22 and a spotlight.When I teach hunter Ed you should hear some of the stuff the little guys say. It is hilarious.
Be safe guys

Well back to the grind of deer season. Happy Monday ya lead slingers. Sight in services will be in full swing this week. Opening day is right around the corner. Asking what caliber is best for deer is like asking what cam should I put in my 360! Our deer here are small and relatively close range. I typically use a short light FN bolt rifle chambered in 308. As a young lad I used 30-30s and 243. Then migrated to 30-06 and the last twenty years or so just my handy 308. Arguably the most deer killed in my home State is with a 22 and a spotlight.When I teach hunter Ed you should hear some of the stuff the little guys say. It is hilarious.
Be safe guys
Mommy holds the light while daddy shoots the deer. Lol

Opening day here was Saturday. Took this pic Saturday in my back yard. I haven't hunted in a few years now. Lost one of my favorite spots to outfitters.

20231021_182517.jpg

More sight ins today. But at least I will get weekend off. We are teaching a two day weekend course, pistol and carbine combo class. Those are fun. You can really watch the students evolve as they become more and more familiar with their equipment. Ok that does not sound good! As they become more and more familiar with their rifles and pistols. Transitions are always a sticking point for a bit. They try and be you tube perfect. Once it dawns on them getting back in the fight is really all that matters they have an ah hah moment.

More sight ins today. But at least I will get weekend off. We are teaching a two day weekend course, pistol and carbine combo class. Those are fun. You can really watch the students evolve as they become more and more familiar with their equipment. Ok that does not sound good! As they become more and more familiar with their rifles and pistols. Transitions are always a sticking point for a bit. They try and be you tube perfect. Once it dawns on them getting back in the fight is really all that matters they have an ah hah moment.

As the saying goes "Uhmmm... Well, that's A technique"

I’m so jealous of you guys getting out to shoot so often. I have at least 4-5 guns that haven’t hit the range yet. My noise suppressor should be here soon so hopefully at least next summer I can step out to my back yard and run a few 22 magazines.

I’m so jealous of you guys getting out to shoot so often. I have at least 4-5 guns that haven’t hit the range yet. My noise suppressor should be here soon so hopefully at least next summer I can step out to my back yard and run a few 22 magazines.

Well... @Sublime one is working... but yeah, I miss having a little pistol range just out the back door.

Well... @Sublime one is working... but yeah, I miss having a little pistol range just out the back door.
I am blessed out here in the sticks, I can role threw exercises with my 9mm, our site in long guns, they are moving dirt just 300 yards away behind these trees, I have a 5/8 steal target angled down at 130 yards and straight in line with a 70 ft tall mound of dirt another 100 yards down way.

20231023_181132.jpg

This makes me howl simply because it is as technically accurate as a very similar chart that is posted in hundreds of ranges across the Country. I think I should print this out and use it this weekend? Gonna be a busy, combo class this weekend finish on Sunday late then drive four hours sleep fast and be at another range to train some Church Safety Team on Monday starting at 0700 then at end of the day hustle across the State and rinse and repeat with a School District Safety Team. Then drive home Tuesday nite late. Did I mention it is supposed to rain every day? @pittsburghracer this is like loading up the trailer for a 4 day race weekend. Then driving home like hammered dog slobber. Totally spent, nothing left in the tank, but knowing full well you will do it again!

-
Back