Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Mia helping with my drive shaft repair
20220319_163427.jpg

RSO's around here have completely ruined the DNR shooting ranges.
When I teach folks how to become RSOs and get them certified I stress exactly the point you are making. I teach them while safety is certainly first they are in fact ambassadors for the sport and often times a new shooters first exposure to the sport.

When I teach folks how to become RSOs and get them certified I stress exactly the point you are making. I teach them while safety is certainly first they are in fact ambassadors for the sport and often times a new shooters first exposure to the sport.

I have a range not too far from my house, it's always been a DNR range, but it was self police. The state went in, remodeled it and installed an RSO. I won't even go there anymore. The shooting sports should be safe, fun and educational, not anymore. Safe maybe, fun and educational went out the window.

You can't even do double taps on target, WTF? They'll kick you out. Each round has to be at 5 second intervals. When I practice drawing acquiring target and shooting I like a double tap. If you are shooting a muzzle loader you have to leave your spot each time to load and hope someone doesn't jump in there. One RSO won't even let you pick up your own brass, he picks it up and sells it.

These guys would have a stroke if they came to our private trainings, lol.

Well clearly I am not very picky with my knives! Hah! There just can’t be that much negative feedback without cause. We lived in Oregon for years as my wife is from there and as a result we supported Benchmade. In actual fact we retired out there our first attempt at retirement. Note to self, ensure your mind is ready to do it. Just because you are financially prepared does not mean you are mentally prepared. Epic fail on my part, I did not recognize the mental stimulation required to keep me sane. Thus the creation of our training center in Arkansas.
Well clearly I am not very picky with my knives! Hah! There just can’t be that much negative feedback without cause. We lived in Oregon for years as my wife is from there and as a result we supported Benchmade. In actual fact we retired out there our first attempt at retirement. Note to self, ensure your mind is ready to do it. Just because you are financially prepared does not mean you are mentally prepared. Epic fail on my part, I did not recognize the mental stimulation required to keep me sane. Thus the creation of our training center in Arkansas.

Good cause for the negative feedback on Benchmark but that will put this thread into the N&P section real quick so we can leave it at that.

I was a RSO at "Lake chabot gun club" for a while it was a fun job for a 16 year old kid!

So today I was working with Nighthawk Custom, we locked in a Demo day at our facility here in Ark. should any of you want to attend send me a PM. We are located in Prairie Creek Ark (essentially Fayetteville) the event is 10/01/22 come shoot up some ammo in a custom Nighthawk pistol for zero charges! It will be a hoot! Make no mistake FABO folks will not suffer! The bar will be open (after guns are secured) and we will darn sure feed ya! Here is a pix looking down on two of our pistol bays from our picnic area. The white strips is the gravel on the floor. Our southern pasture is in the back ground. It will be a fun day for sure.

31493028-94DD-4898-9385-261F86598BF0.jpeg

So today I was working with Nighthawk Custom, we locked in a Demo day at our facility here in Ark. should any of you want to attend send me a PM. We are located in Prairie Creek Ark (essentially Fayetteville) the event is 10/01/22 come shoot up some ammo in a custom Nighthawk pistol for zero charges! It will be a hoot! Make no mistake FABO folks will not suffer! The bar will be open (after guns are secured) and we will darn sure feed ya! Here is a pix looking down on two of our pistol bays from our picnic area. The white strips is the gravel on the floor. Our southern pasture is in the back ground. It will be a fun day for sure.

View attachment 1715895189

Why is it that everything fun happens far away?....

That is a great offer, I wish I was closer. Id be there for sure.

View attachment 1715895189

The perspective is throwing me off big time. Do you have an over head map or view? Are those two separate ranges?

The perspective is throwing me off big time. Do you have an over head map or view? Are those two separate ranges?
Hah! Two separate bays, I am looking down upon them from where we picnic on top of a hill we have. The opening is on left shooting towards the back berm on right. White is gravel on the floor of the bay. Two bays side by side.

Most RSOs I've seen are about a small flight of stairs from a stroke. It's a bad look.
Ok that’s funny in a morbid kind of way. It is a fact often times RSOs are a bit long in the tooth. Typically they are volunteers and well past retired. Many just want to give back to a hobby that has been good to them. As a Chief range safety officer I often times have to manage them. Most, but certainly not all do the best they can and have good intentions. Some do in fact have a bit of Napoleon in them. While unfortunate like most things it is unavoidable.

I have a range not too far from my house, it's always been a DNR range, but it was self police. The state went in, remodeled it and installed an RSO. I won't even go there anymore. The shooting sports should be safe, fun and educational, not anymore. Safe maybe, fun and educational went out the window.

You can't even do double taps on target, WTF? They'll kick you out. Each round has to be at 5 second intervals. When I practice drawing acquiring target and shooting I like a double tap. If you are shooting a muzzle loader you have to leave your spot each time to load and hope someone doesn't jump in there. One RSO won't even let you pick up your own brass, he picks it up and sells it.

You said that well. Haven’t been to a public range in probably 5 years because of them. The absolute final nail in the coffin for me was the “where’s your tax stamp guy”.

That's wrong. My brass belongs to me.

That's wrong. My brass belongs to me.
That kind of nonsense from an RSO is unacceptable. I have mine inquire of each shooter if they want to save the brass, if so the RSO sweeps it up into a pile by each shooter as a courtesy. RSO takes the brass he is done as a RSO. To your point it is the shooters property. Keep in mind indoor vs outdoor is very different. You cannot have guys moving forward of the firing line for a piece of brass regardless. We do however collect all unwanted brass then sort it.

Happy full auto friday folks!

I posted this in another thread but I figured you guys would enjoy as well.

Any reloaders out there looking for powder, check out www.powdervalleyinc.com. I just ordered some from them Sunday and it showed up today! Price and shipping was very reasonable, considering the current market. Not price gouging like most people online.

Last edited:
How about air rifles? Are they included in this discussion. I want one but don't know much about them.

-
Back