Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Glad you asked for pics. In reexaming, there are only 2 stakes. You can see how I tried to turn again them and sheer them off with no luck. A little more torque or a little Dremel work would do it. Then my question would be is removing the buttstock as easy as just removing the ring? Or is there more to it, like stuff inside falling out.
View attachment 1715965989 View attachment 1715965990

Short answer, yes. Remove the ring and the buffer tube will spin off. You need to press in the detent for the buffer inside the lower reciever though.

If you just want to pop the stock off, you can pull the "aduster" lever away and the stock will pop off of the buffer tube

You're thinking of removing the barrel? Fine idea.

Well, more about understanding what you're trying to achieve I guess... motorcycle transport but you then need to reassemble at the other side. Is that viable. Just breaking down the piece using the pins doesn't get the package short enough for you?

if you're putting a new stock on, a buffer tube isn't that expensive. Almost not worth trying to save it especially of you're putting a folder on. You're gonna remove the tube anyway

I agree, go with the folder and be done with it. Plus that gives you more options for eye relief in the event of summer clothes winter clothes body armor.

I'm a big fan of not needing an armorers tool to put a system into operation... but I also realize I'm wired just a bit differently :p

Well, more about understanding what you're trying to achieve I guess... motorcycle transport but you then need to reassemble at the other side. Is that viable. Just breaking down the piece using the pins doesn't get the package short enough for you?
Maybe, I'm just an AR beginner and looking for ideas. Please explain.

STrike that, I'll google and play around and see.

Oh no... it's totally cool in here.. Tough to work in just text.. my apologies.

This is what I'm keying on

"The reason for removal is I want to break the rifle down for motorcycle carry. "

Just trying to understand what to want to get to with the piece?

Gonna grab some pics to help clarify my thoughts. Juuust a sec

So ... looking at lengths and compactness of the rifle (I borrowed this from a stranger.... not mine)

Overall length, stock extended is 36"
Overall length of the lower receiver stock extended is 18 1/2 inches
Overall length of the lower receiver with stock collapsed is 15"

Overall length of the upper receiver/ barrel is 24 1/2"
Barrel length with flash suppressor is about 17"

So

If length is a factor, unless you're running a barrel that is shorter than 8" (collapsible stock) 10" with an fixed stock, then you won't get a shorter part than the upper and barrel....

Just breaking it down at the designed points vice disassembly

20220805_182604.jpg

20220805_182802.jpg

Ok DL, I will take a run at it as well. Much like WV64 explained this is a easy thread to hang out in. The opinions are varied and a wealth of hidden expertise. Since I too ride a motorcycle and I also on occasion take my AR with. Here is how I do it. With disclaimer if I am going somewhere difficult my go to on the bike is a short shotgun. But if I am toting a AR this is how I do it. Mine will not fit in saddle bags, when I was younger I simply busted it down and rolled it up in my sleeping bag which was bungeed to my ape hangers. Great wind and rain break! Now I am fatter and older so I break it down and yes I use a collapsible fold over stock, (Magpul) when I say break it down I mean upper from lower. Then I put it in a hoodie to keep it from rubbing against itself for the ride and then put it in my waterproof bag that is bungeed on the back, stuff my clothes all around it and wa la done. Works great and I have never had a issue.

ok guys. can anyone recommend a decent survivor style knife? my 13 year old daughter wants one. she is gonna need it when she does field ops and survivor training with the naval sea cadets.

I would strongly suggest spending a little or a lot of time on the web reading reviews on the latest knives that are available. It seems every year or two I change my opinion on what knife is best.
Every environment \ habitat has it's own unique uses for each knife.
I usually have any good knife I like custom fit to a kydex sheath.
Those style sheath's can be adapted to each environment and made into their own survival pouch in a very small package.

ok guys. can anyone recommend a decent survivor style knife? my 13 year old daughter wants one. she is gonna need it when she does field ops and survivor training with the naval sea cadets.

here ya go,. these are the firearms we own. my daughter likes the ar but will shoot all three. we are just beginners and need yo get our asses to the range once the weather calms its *** some.

thats her before her 7th grade dance.
View attachment 1715965981

View attachment 1715965982

View attachment 1715965983

View attachment 1715965984
Well let’s open this Pandora’s box shall we! Here is my point of reference. The OP has a very specific need for his daughter’s knife reqs. This is not a EDC (everyday carry) application, nor is it a urban use application. This is going to be a tool that will be her “go to” tool for a field craft training exercise. Thus it will be used as a pry bar, hammer, ax, fork or spoon, thermal protection device, and even on occasion be used as an actual knife. Thus I would suggest fixed blade 4-5 1/2 inches long full tang, corrosion resistant with a sturdy sheath she can attach via multiple methods and list for a reasonable cost as it may or may not make it home. I base this recommendation as once upon a time I was trying to assist and direct some Naval Officer Candidates to survive a very similar course. In time honored tradition each class designs a class sweatshirt. The folks that helped them survive are often times given one as a momento. It is one of my prize possessions.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Apologies ABJ
I responded to your request but the text is hidden? I must have fat fingered it. If you click to expand you can read it. Clearly I need to step away from the Bourbon.

lol. you have a specific knife in mind. her use is/will be exactly as you said. i want something decent for her.

lol. you have a specific knife in mind. her use is/will be exactly as you said. i want something decent for her.

I am a Tonto Blade fan. More robust and survives being used as a tool more so than a finer point blade.

Personal opinion

Allow me to add as well.... Military schools will have packing lists and restrictions on what candidates can bring or carry so she should understand that before making an investment.

Last edited:
-
Back