Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I can just hear your rifle now whispering to you, asking, does this scope make my telescoping butt look skinny or what! Hah! clearly I was wrong I said I thought it would look like a 55 gallon drum on top, nope more like a whiskey barrel! Hehehe
On serious note heck yes for a comp. I would wait on the can as several players in the industry are revealing new technology on cans at Shot Show. It will be a game changer, (think back pressure) I am guessing there will be a bunch of guys selling present cans for the new versions which are head and shoulders above present technology. Hold your position here for a couple of months and let them get to market. By same token I can envision current cans going on clearance? Either way all good for end users!

Shortly after this post, I asked my FFL if he had any deals on a 30 cal can. He said some guy bought one, shipped it to him and then realized he can't pass a background check and abandoned it. I ended up grabbing it from him. I got a Deadair Sandman S with 2 keymo muzzlebrakes for $600 out the door. (Plus the stamp) I know it's not the quietest can, but it's virtually indestructible with no barrel length requirements, I can use it on every AR I own amd my long range 308 setup.

Well, fast forward 5.5 weeks later and my stamp came back (somehow, fastest my FFL has ever had) and I picked it up today.

Hoping to get out next Sunday to test it out. I dialed in the Nightforce a while ago and what an upgrade it is over the Leupold I replaced. I even grabbed some subsonic 308 just to see how quiet it'll shoot. It should be more or less the same as 300 blackout I imagine. I won't be able to use the sub sonic at any distance, the box says it's 372" of drop at 500 yards. Lol. The range is baffled overhead, I would hit the baffles if I dialed in that much. I plan to sticking to 175gr 308 for the majority of its use.

I might go back to the stock that the rifle came with to, it has a little more adjustability for LOP, I'd like to get it down another 1/2 - 3/4" or so.

20240225_144622.jpg

20240225_151119.jpg

Shortly after this post, I asked my FFL if he had any deals on a 30 cal can. He said some guy bought one, shipped it to him and then realized he can't pass a background check and abandoned it. I ended up grabbing it from him. I got a Deadair Sandman S with 2 keymo muzzlebrakes for $600 out the door. (Plus the stamp) I know it's not the quietest can, but it's virtually indestructible with no barrel length requirements, I can use it on every AR I own amd my long range 308 setup.

Well, fast forward 5.5 weeks later and my stamp came back (somehow, fastest my FFL has ever had) and I picked it up today.

Hoping to get out next Sunday to test it out. I dialed in the Nightforce a while ago and what an upgrade it is over the Leupold I replaced. I even grabbed some subsonic 308 just to see how quiet it'll shoot. It should be more or less the same as 300 blackout I imagine. I won't be able to use the sub sonic at any distance, the box says it's 372" of drop at 500 yards. Lol. The range is baffled overhead, I would hit the baffles if I dialed in that much. I plan to sticking to 175gr 308 for the majority of its use.

I might go back to the stock that the rifle came with to, it has a little more adjustability for LOP, I'd like to get it down another 1/2 - 3/4" or so.

View attachment 1716212566

View attachment 1716212567
That has got to be the National record on stamp response! Those cans are tank proof. 600 out the door is nuts. That is a win period! Score!

Well I have decided to take the plunge and start a QnA thread for the topic of Guns,Dogs and Blades. The catalyst is the chatter on the AR15 thread. There is just a wealth of knowledge and experience inside FABO with regard to Firearms. Dogs and blades just kind of worked their way in. Please note, given it is a Firearms based QnA platform invariably someone will stray into politics. This thread, like so many others will get pulled and dumped into NP section in the event that happens. Please leave politics where they belong and not on this thread. Our goal is to keep this more technical based, you need advice on what lower to purchase, here is a great place to ask. What weight to set your EDC carry trigger at, where can I find a good drop in trigger, what powder are you using for 300 black out etc etc. Gear heads are gear heads, if it has nuts and bolts we will hot rod it or build our own. I own and operate a Firearms training center and have many years as an instructor and a high level competitive shooter. A lot of our members are tied to the LEO community and or the military. Thus a wide ranging spectrum of real world experience and knowledge. No one guy has all the expertise, but given the amount of great feedback on the AR 15 thread it is apparent we got folks who know stuff! From Cowboy Shooting, to Bullseye, to IDPA, to plinking in your back yard, be safe and have fun. Just some pix to get you guys going!

View attachment 1715893457

View attachment 1715893458

View attachment 1715893459

View attachment 1715893460

View attachment 1715893461

View attachment 1715893462

View attachment 1715893463

View attachment 1715893464
I have always had trouble getting a razor's edge on a knife. Is there a trick?

View attachment 1716212566

View attachment 1716212567

Do you shoot competitively with that rifle?

Do you shoot competitively with that rifle?

I do not, just for fun out to 500 yards. My buddy is trying to get me to join his NRL 22 with him, but it's far from my house and I can never make the time work.

Just think, with what's in that rifle, I could have bought a new engine for Duster!

Last edited:
No real trick. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall. lol. The Lansky Sharpener does take some guess work out of it. If you want it really sharp you finish with a leather strop.

No real trick. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall. lol. The Lansky Sharpener does take some guess work out of it. If you want it really sharp you finish with a leather strop.

Had a roommate in the barracks that could put an edge on a blade like nobody's business. I've never gotten there. Having something like the lansky with graduated stones and a fixed system for consistent angles is the only way I can do it

Had a roommate in the barracks that could put an edge on a blade like nobody's business. I've never gotten there. Having something like the lansky with graduated stones and a fixed system for consistent angles is the only way I can do it
I got pretty good at keeping the guys in the shops EDC fairly sharp with my 3 inch hand held air grinder with Velcro backed sandpaper. Sometimes I started with #150. Not a great way to maintain a blade but you gotta do what you gotta do. I can go to #2000 with the little grinder.

I do not, just for fun out to 500 yards. My buddy is trying to get me to join his NRL 22 with him, but it's far from my house and I can never make the time work.

Just think, with what's in that rifle, I could have bought a new engine for Duster!

That NF may have cost more than what I paid for my Dart in 2005. Glass is the best place to spend the money though.

Dog gets food in her bowl at 05:00 and 17:00, daily. This morning, she decides that she isn't eating... which she detetmines to do now and again.

19:00, she eats the food in her bowl. I figure we're good to go.

Well, after 2 hours of her staring at me, I finally decode the message. "Where is dinner?" Which she promptly devours.

:lol:

It's a beautiful scope for sure, but if I did it again (or my next one), I would get the NX8 4-32. This one is the NXS 5.5-22, I replaced a 6.5-20 Leupold VX3 with it, kind of wish I went bigger. I get a pretty hefty industry discount, so the scope wasn't too bad, still expensive though.

Euro made glass, is still the best. Nothing more crisp. Scope design is mostly opinions and personal feelings.

Euro made glass, is still the best. Nothing more crisp. Scope design is mostly opinions and personal feelings.
I think so too. The first Nightforce I got to check out on a friend's rig was impressive compared my cheap stuff. My wish list now includes a Schmidt & Bender. Those are amazing.
When you really get out far, especially well beyond 500 yards, the mirage you see is the great equalizer. The better the glass, the less effect from mirage and clarity.

Time to stretch it out further. Much further.

Dog gets food in her bowl at 05:00 and 17:00, daily. This morning, she decides that she isn't eating... which she detetmines to do now and again.

19:00, she eats the food in her bowl. I figure we're good to go.

Well, after 2 hours of her staring at me, I finally decode the message. "Where is dinner?" Which she promptly devours.

:lol:
So which of you is actually trained? Or is that simply the tail wagging the dog! There is no end to their straight line logic! They crack me up!

It's a beautiful scope for sure, but if I did it again (or my next one), I would get the NX8 4-32. This one is the NXS 5.5-22, I replaced a 6.5-20 Leupold VX3 with it, kind of wish I went bigger. I get a pretty hefty industry discount, so the scope wasn't too bad, still expensive though.
The VX3 is not a bad scope at all either!

-
Back