Guy is hinting? this was a hemi or 440-6/ 69 1/2?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Comment about the Dana......You could not get a 383 car with an optional Dana, could'ja? There was only one or other option, 6BBL or hemi............right?

1969 plymouth Roadrunner

selling my, 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner coupe. built 440ci and auto,5400stall converter, numbers correct Dana60 with 4.56 gears spool and axles, also have original 3.54 posi and stock axles. also have extra hood. ready to race or pound the streets. runs 10.80's @ 122+mph clear Wa. title. and registration 19500 obo
1969 plymouth Roadrunner - $19500
00d0d_83Gaiz7nlrc_600x450.jpg

00D0D_gMDHtAYp0oQ_600x450.jpg

00t0t_gnw6SFdusWx_600x450.jpg

00l0l_5JFAuIuGFmQ_600x450.jpg

01212_5fI5NKWbqke_600x450.jpg

Runnin 10.80s and hangin the hoops with DRUM BRAKES. Hay, if they're in good shape, they'll stop it.

Runnin 10.80s and hangin the hoops with DRUM BRAKES. Hay, if they're in good shape, they'll stop it.

Very common in the day, disk were supposed to be heavier. Guy has to wonder just what the difference was in time. My 69 had 11" X3 and didn't stop that bad........until you got them hot.

Very common in the day, disk were supposed to be heavier. Guy has to wonder just what the difference was in time. My 69 had 11" X3 and didn't stop that bad........until you got them hot.

Right. They actually work pretty well for drag racin since you're not on them that long. I had drums on my 71 Dart until I swapped in the 4.10s. Only reason I went disc then was because I got them free.

Numbers correct doesn't mean it came with it to me. Just it's a correct 69 rear axle

Auto workers weren’t perfect. It’s rare, but sometimes they had to use Dana’s in cars that weren’t spec’d to have one because it’s what was available at the time of assembly. Whatever it took, that assembly line better keep moving...

Nice car, but all i can think of with looking at the pix is getting a cutoff wheel to the roll cage to remove it and unfucking that interior. Purpose built drag car, do that **** to a belvedere or satellite, not an original RM21 car.

440+6 drag pak or Hemi car, just ask to see the Vin# that will tell you for sure. J in the vin in 1969 i think 7th or 8th digit spot should be a Hemi car. Not sure what letter in the vin in 69 would be a 440+6 car. All Hemi cars had convertible torque boxes welded in at the factory, and 440+6 4 speed cars had them as well. K frame well thats an easy swap, however Hemi cars used a 6 quart oil pan and had a skid plate welded to the bottom of their hemi specific K frame to prevent it from getting ripped open when in street duty mode.

Last edited:
If it’s a six pack car it would be coded as an A12 and have similar chassis mods as a hemi car, including a K frame that was similar to the Hemi car type. It could also be a 440 four barrel four speed car, that would have spec’d a Dana rear,too.

Last edited:
If it was a '69 1/2 440 6bbl car, the V.I.N. would be RM21M9.
If it was a '69 Hemi car, it would be RM21J9.
All '69 1/2 A12 cars (automatic or 4 speed) had a 4:10 sure grip Dana 60 and 3'' drum brakes all around with the fiberglass hood and scoop, and 15'' black plain steel wheels with chrome lug nuts and no hubcaps.
Hemi cars if ordered with a 4 speed automatically had a 3:54 Dana and 18 spline transmissions.
Automatic Hemi cars would have had an 8 3/4 rear end unless an upgrade was ordered.
All '69 Hemi cars came automatically with a fresh air hood. (Air Grabber, Coyote Duster, Ramcharger)
All Dana 60 rear ends regardless of ratio were sure grips as well.
Only Super Bees and Road Runners for '69 1/2 were available with the 440 6 pack or 440 6 bbl engine package.
No Six Pack/6 bbl R/Ts or GTXs were built until 1970.

I do believe that's the first time I've seen someone paint the outside of their car to match the oil filter

Buddy was second owner of 69 GTS 4 speed, 383 with a Dana. 4.10 gear.

This was also a time that if you knew the right person at a dealer and had the funds, you could order almost anything. Remember the four door hemi coronets and Belvederes from 66 or 67?

GMs (Central Office Production Order) COPO program was a great example of this. It was for example originally for somebody owning a taxi fleet wanting maybe 2 dozen or more 4 door Biscaynes in taxi yellow with straight 6 engines and 3 on the tree transmissions. By virtue of it allowing you to order whatever the heck you wanted, It also allowed somebody to order a base model 1969 Camaro or Chevelle with an all aluminum 427 a 4 speed and 12 bolt rear along with heavy duty brakes. A combo that was not offered on the dealer option sheet in 1969. A savvy dealer sales guy or customer in the know back then could do just that. And people did just that. COPO performance cars are pretty rare as the ordering system to manufacture one wasnt widely known. However Chevrolet Dealers like Yenko, Baldwin, and Nickey did use the COPO ordering sheets then built their own supercars in 1969 with the big V8s and heavy duty drivelines already installed when they rolled off the car carriers. Add special stripes, hood pins, hood tach, some cragar SS mag wheels, special dealer performance badging, and viola, instant supercar. Think Mr Norms GSS darts too. Similar idea.

Last edited:
From Chicago area, but can't say for sure it was from Mr. Norm. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

If it’s a six pack car it would be coded as an A12 and have similar chassis mods as a hemi car, including a K frame that was similar to the Hemi car type. It could also be a 440 four barrel four speed car, that would have spec’d a Dana rear,too.

I might be wrong, but I think the all Roadrunners with a 440 had six packs in 1969

Last edited:
The six bbl (six pack of a Dodge) was an option starting on the 69-1/2 A-12 and optional in 70 and 71 as well. The standard 440 was a 375 hp rated four barrel.

69 Roadrunner were either a 383 or Hemi, then came the A12 6 pack cars

Belvedere body with a 440-4 was a GTX
69_Belvedere0026.jpg

The 4:10 Dana 60 was not factory installed in that GTS.
Someone added it before your buddy bought it.
In fact, there were never any A-Bodies made with Dana 60s in them with the exception of the '68 Hurst built Hemi 4 speed race cars.
And even then, they were not A-Body width, but B-Body width.

Thanks for the info
The six bbl (six pack of a Dodge) was an option starting on the 69-1/2 A-12 and optional in 70 and 71 as well. The standard 440 was a 375 hp rated four barrel.
Thanks for the reminder, I remember the 440 super commando being base engine option in the superbird, and the '71 GTX roadrunner, things get a little blurry sometimes.

-
Back