Guys be CAREFUL with explosive gas containers

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Someone else posted this "somewhere else"

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/139018-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally.html

a partial quote:

===============================================================
"i had an acetylene bottle in my truck, the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. i noticed the smell, and opened the doors to air out the truck. i drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement. i went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as i touched the power windows. BAM. with me in the truck. i lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. all things considering, im alive."
==============================================================

50371d1322602221-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally-img_0183.jpg

50372d1322602258-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally-img_0187.jpg

50369d1322602183-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally-img_0177.jpg

I've never seen a vehicle skinned like that before!!

Think that guy is lucky to be alive????:eek:

Weird smell, dont light up, or make a spark! that is shop 10, not even 101! morning after Cabbage burrito exempted....

From another forum I'm on and supposedly a friend of the guy. Seems the guy aired out the vehicle but what he didnt count on was the gas trapped inside the body of the car. Thus why the body panels blew off and not the entire vehicle.

If you guys will just take notice as you drive around on a daily basis you'll see people hauling around oxy/act bottles around in their trucks with the valves still attached. That's illegal here and many other places. They are suppose to be hauled with the caps on over the valves. These babies can do some serious damage if that valve happens to get broke off. Take notice while driving. Most you will see in something like a service truck.
Small Block

From another forum I'm on and supposedly a friend of the guy. Seems the guy aired out the vehicle but what he didnt count on was the gas trapped inside the body of the car. Thus why the body panels blew off and not the entire vehicle.

I believe that to be untrue. By my best guess, now remember I am a nobody. If you notice the drivers door is completely intact no damage, it was open during the incident. While every other panel from the firewall back is removed almost entirely. I believe that when he went to roll down the windows the switch sparked and caused the gas in the interior to deflagrate very quickly. There are other pics not on here that shows evey interior piece has been shattered. The easiest route out of the passenger compartment was through the exterior panels. Plastic doesn't provide any velocity reducing powers in cases like this.

When I was 14 I took my (Texaco Tanker) model down to the creek with a couple of babyfood jars full of gas on deck, lit the ship and applied appropriate fire with a 22 rifle as it went downstream.

Ahh the childhood memories.

I think the statute of limitations has run out on that one since it was over fourty years ago.
Explosions are still cool after all these years.

I hope your insurance covers you and not say your did something illegal.

-
Back