Guys with SS springs, which ones did you use?

-

fourspeed

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about SS springs, so here's my question.

I need to buy a set of SS springs for my Duster. The "standard" set is the P3412002 and P3412003. A lot of people complain about the stiff ride and the stance of the 002/003 springs.

So I was wondering if the 2800lb (P4120863 and P4120864) springs would be better. Anyone have experience with them, especially with a four speed?

Thanks,
Mark

Well, considering that the springs are made for the track and not really for the street, I don't mind them at all and the 002 - 003 springs are for all out A bodies.
Ride height will come down after a bit of riding arond. I also don't think the stance is poor or ugly. Looks like it should with a good rake.

IF you have a strickly track ride and you bury the mnose to the floor, I can see it that way as to much. But thats a track car vs street car.

002/003 are actually Hemi Dart/Barracuda springs or 3400lb springs.

Most Street Strip a bodies are actually in the 3000-3200lb range. I used the 002/003s on my Barracuda. They were ok, I didnt like the stance though. Most likely wont use them again.

Next time I would use a good set of replacement springs like Espos or a set of Calvert Mono leafs.

I got a used pair from Doug over in BBD, I love them. They are the only springs I will use. I dont find the ride uncomfortable and I love the way the car sits, 72 dart.

had them on my 69 dart and just baught a set for my 73 dart sport, i'll take before/after pictures on the 73 for you.

693.jpg

So,we never got a answer on which spring rate is best for the A-body.

2800lbs ?
or
3000-3200lbs ?

I just ordered the 3000lb. ones for my Scamp,i thought the 3200 would be overkill.

I think like Rumblefish360 said, it prolly depends more on the car's intended use than anyting else. I'd say go for the heavier springs for a full up racer, no doubt. After that, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I have the 002/003 springs on my Duster, and like them. But What I like may not be what someone else like's. The car also has truck shocks in back, heavy sway bars front and back, a locker in the rear and a pretty stiff clutch. I know some people would not consider it very streetable. Kinda scary, actually. But I like driving it on the street. Just MHO.

stance is perfect on my 66 with 002 &003 springs and 6cyl torsion bars up front. It took a couple of months for them to settle down. And they work great at the track!

Just picked up my 2800 lb SS springs (P4120863 and P4120864) this afternoon from the dealer. $110.00 Canadian each ($129 list, $110 net) and no shipping! Have to wait until spring to install them though. :(

Mild hijack: The SS springs came with bushings installed in the front but nothing in the rear. What do I need when it comes time to put these on the car?

Just picked up my 2800 lb SS springs (P4120863 and P4120864) this afternoon from the dealer. $110.00 Canadian each ($129 list, $110 net) and no shipping! Have to wait until spring to install them though. :(

Mild hijack: The SS springs came with bushings installed in the front but nothing in the rear. What do I need when it comes time to put these on the car?

I just re-used my old bushings that were in my old springs. the rear spring eyes are the same size as the new ones (i bought SS springs too).

Mild hijack: The SS springs came with bushings installed in the front but nothing in the rear. What do I need when it comes time to put these on the car?[/QUOTE]

Old bushings with new springs......:-k

If you are going to the trouble of installing new springs why not get some new rubber for them?

P4510643 Poly rear schackle bushing kit.
P4452986 O.E. rubber rear schackle kit.

Get at your Dodge dealer or Summit,Jegs,etc........

Both are sold in sets of 8 bushings.:cheers:

If you are going to the trouble of installing new springs why not get some new rubber for them?

Both are sold in sets of 8 bushings.:cheers:[/quote]

My car only had 52000 miles on it and the bushings went in nice and tight. I actually used some P-80 spray to get them in. If it moves too much, I'll buy some new ones and put them in.

Both are sold in sets of 8 bushings.:cheers:

My car only had 52000 miles on it and the bushings went in nice and tight. I actually used some P-80 spray to get them in. If it moves too much, I'll buy some new ones and put them in.[/QUOTE]

Right on !!!!!!!!!!!
Now you got some part #'s...:thumbup:
Moog and TRW also make them.

I got the big springs.
Here's what it did for my ride height.

Keep in mind, this car is a roller at this time and will come down some fully dressed and fueled.

wheels14.jpg

wheels4.jpg

wheels1.jpg

Damn cudaspaz, thats what I'm talkin about. I love that look. Then again, Thats what my high school parking lot looked like in the early '90's.

Ha, ha, I know what you mean.

It does give it the old school look, and I'm glad too cause not everyone is doing it anymore.

At least cars will stay back a little unless I install some mud flaps. LOL.

stance is perfect on my 66 with 002 &003 springs and 6cyl torsion bars up front. It took a couple of months for them to settle down. And they work great at the track!

I did the same on my '67, put 002/003's on and cranked my OG 6cyl bars a little to give it the right rake and I love the look myself. They ride fine on the street (IMHO). Hook up MUCH better than my old 6 cyl leafs did too even with my old crap shocks, no snubber and less than meaty 235/60/14 cheapo radials. In retrospect I may agree with Adam that Espo's or Mono's or even XHD's may have been a better choice for 90% street driving...but I didnt research much before I bought so they are fine with me.

I have wondered about the 2800lb springs myself. I put the xhd's under my Duster and I don't like them at all. It sits about an inch or so higher than stock which is fine. The problem is it rides like air shocks that are full air.The old springs sagged,tires scrubbed, but the car hooked.The car now spins all of 1st gear. This car only runs a blistering 9:20 in th 8th. I'm not real sure which direction I'll go right now. The bushings for the rear are easy to find, I got mine from advance auto parts TRW HB 987, these were sold individual

-
Back