H pipe worth it

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
I am going to the exhaust shop in the morning and getting the exhaust on the duster done.Would a H pipe be worth it I don't want to lose the lope of my cam.3in long tube headers full 3in exhaust dynomax race bullets dumped at rear end.

the gains are nil to none but it will make it more quiet and low tone rumble

imo yes.i run a few exhaust systems on my dart.x-pipe,h-pipe and tru duals.the top end felt the same on all of them,however i did notice a good boost in low end with an x pipe.i currently have a 3" system.when i first built it i didnt know how it would react with my set up so i didnt build tail pipes until later.i ran ultraflo mufflers and it was on the loud side.i imagine with bullets and no crossover it would be down right painful dumped lol,and asking for a ticket.

imo yes.i run a few exhaust systems on my dart.x-pipe,h-pipe and tru duals.the top end felt the same on all of them,however i did notice a good boost in low end with an x pipe.i currently have a 3" system.when i first built it i didnt know how it would react with my set up so i didnt build tail pipes until later.i ran ultraflo mufflers and it was on the loud side.i imagine with bullets and no crossover it would be down right painful dumped lol,and asking for a ticket.

Thats what im shoting for

Thats what im shoting for
which part the loud or the ticket? J/K .the good new is if it too loud or you get too much "popping" from the glasspack style mufflers,you can always add a crossover and/or tailpipes later.if you do add tailpipes id get some mandrel bends to get you over the axel,3" gets kinda ugly when you try to put that much of a bend in it.

and i forgot to mention summit and jegs both have full mandrel bent tru dual 3" systems with or without mufflers for a very good price.

H-pipe & X-pipe both provide different tones. Maybe scour this forum for the clips folks have running one or the other or none at all & hopefully that will help you get the sound you're after.

Here's mine with headers, 2.25" duals with an X-pipe.

[ame="http://youtu.be/DqZ35kXyugw"]302 Found[/ame]

Nope, never did the loud thing........had enough troubles with the local cops did not need that attention. I have always laughed at cars that were all noise and no go......Used to call some of the local guys with there big cam, no compression over carbed cars Garbage Barges....

H-pipe & X-pipe both provide different tones. Maybe scour this forum for the clips folks have running one or the other or none at all & hopefully that will help you get the sound you're after.

Here's mine with headers, 2.25" duals with an X-pipe.

302 Found

Saetun....I love the sound you have there. Can you give some more details on your combo???

Thanks.

check it out,i flange my exhaust after the mufflers and build a set of flanged turn downs.that gives me the option to run tail pipes or turn downs.during the summer when i go to cruzin grand ill run the turn downs,the rest of the time up here on the mountain i run tail pipes.also if you do run a crossover it makes it so you can drop the system with ease to get at the tranny.id still run a crossover if i were you,with short bullets and turndowns it will still be really loud.

To me its not worth it. It makes it hard to open your headers, As for the noise iam running flowmaster 40 with 3 in, exhust and never got a ticket yet. been on there for over 10 years. So I would say its not worth it. Just my thoughs on it.

I put one on my 70 Charger R/T 440 one time , it made a hole different sound in the car i hated it and changeg it back , bought two new front pipes , were not a whole lot of money back then .

H pipe helps take away drone and will help low end a little I say yes I run 3inch and flow 40s its loud

Install it behind the collectors where the exhaust is mounted and put a 3 bolt flange in the middle. Headers come off no problem and you can split the system at the flange if you have to. It will calm the popping and remove resonance and will make your system a little more quiet, never a bad thing.

I ran my 408 without one and I had a low speed rapping noise that drove me nuts. My brother said it sounded like a Chevy. After I beat him up, I went to full 3" and and H pipe. My motor was already powerful, but I felt a noticeable increase. And my rapping noise was gone. Now apparently I sound like a Mopar!

I did an X pipe on my 68 barracuda. 2.5" with flowmaster super 44's.. turndowns in front of axle. like was mentioned, i can run over axle tail pipes if i choose, the mufflers/ turndowns are flanged. once up on jack stands, it takes just minutes to unbolt the whole thing and drop it out...8 bolts.

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

i'm runnin a 2 1/2 h-pipe with exhaust cut outs and summit turbo mufflers on my 440 dart.it sounds pretty good plus a have gear drive as well in the engine.

I can't remember where I read an article, magazine or internet, about a test that was run with dual full exhaust, dual full exhaust with H-pipe, and dual full exhaust with X-pipe. It was done on a dyno. If I recall correctly, the X-pipe out-performed the other two at high RPMs.

This somewhat brings back memories from my younger life. I was a poor college kid (eating Dinty Moore from a can half the time) in Florida in the early 1970s. I saved enough money to buy Hedman Hedders, but not enough for mufflers. Oh, what the Hell, I thought, how bad could it be? '68-GTX-with-a-440-bad was what I found out. With a .323 rear, the roar calmed down to a bearable rumble at 60 m.p.h. and I could actually hear the radio. Accelerating from a dead stop almost rattled the fillings out of my teeth. I learned real fast to keep an eye out for coppers; just ease off the gas as they approached from the other direction.

Of course, there was the one time I was making a left turn while leaving Steak & Shake. A cop pulled into the center turn lane to pull into the same establishment I was leaving. Oh, CRAP, I'm dead. He waved me on instead of him pulling in; he had the right of way. I put on the gas like there was an egg between my shoe and the gas pedal. There was no getting around it; it was still LOUD. The guy must have been hungrier than he was ticket-happy because he never came after me. Four months of that, including a ride from Daytona Beach to L.I. I bought a set of Cherry Bomb header mufflers as soon as I could afford them.

Come to think of it, my '68 GTX came stock with an H-pipe, as did my '67 New Yorker with a 440. Ma MoPar must have known something.

Im find with that its my chance to raise some hell.I know you guys did it when you were young its my turn now.

Take some advice from someone who has been there done that. If it's not to loud you can get away with a lot more.

-
Back