Harassed on the way to the nats?

-
Yea there are some bad cops but there some good ones *cough* like me *cough*. Most likely there young guys and the power goes to there head. If I had pulled you over it would have been cause you have a nice car and you werent going fast enough hahaha just kidding :toothy10:

lets not place all police officers in the same boat, just like theres good technicians, there is also bad ones, when you pay an officer in a small town or county, 22/24k a year to strap on a badge and a gun in order to protect an serve, you'll get 24k worth of police officer......be serious we pay the people that are there to protect us so little and we expect them to do it well......are we nuts....many small police force and counties have a helluva time attracting potential candidate, any wonder....hell i can work doing just about anything and make a lot more than 24k and no one going to shoot at me....why would we attract great cops, no monetary gain, no value....the old saying you get what you pay for is often the truth.....

now i do agree that out of state license plate do attract a lot more attention......recently travel to Orlando for a business related conference, driving my demo, 2010 loaded Dodge Ram with my dealer plate, minding my own business, well dress with my wife, following traffic in Orange County Florida, and i specify following traffic, in the right lane, in a row of vehicles all going the same speed, yes will agree we were all speeding, 70 in a 55, however wasnt doing anything but following the traffic flow in the right lane, motorcycle cop in the median, pulls out, pulls up moves in behind me and turns on the lights, i pull over, he proceeds to write me a ticket for 68 in a 55, didnt argue, but made it real clear that was following traffic and in fact if i was going any slower would have had the traffic behind me trying to climb over me.....he proceed to tell me that this particular hwy was the second most dangerous hwy in the US, the following week i paid the fine on line, all of 169.00 dollars

but you know that left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, this trip cost my dealership in excess of 2500.00 for 4 days, Chrysler conference put on at Disney, approximatelly 350 dealerships represented, at least a hundred Chrysler corporate people, a vendor show with at least 75 vendors, a rough calculation, 1.2 to 1.5 million dollars to Orange county economy.....is one ticket going to prevent from having this event held there next year, probably not....but will we attend a different location, maybe.....

hot rodding and race cars most of my life, have had plenty of well deserve tickets, never argued that either, but bs is still bs

Dodge29

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EmDld7vYY&feature=related"]YouTube - 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Commercial[/ame]

lets not place all police officers in the same boat, just like theres good technicians, there is also bad ones, when you pay an officer in a small town or county, 22/24k a year to strap on a badge and a gun in order to protect an serve, you'll get 24k worth of police officer......be serious we pay the people that are there to protect us so little and we expect them to do it well......are we nuts....many small police force and counties have a helluva time attracting potential candidate, any wonder....hell i can work doing just about anything and make a lot more than 24k and no one going to shoot at me....why would we attract great cops, no monetary gain, no value....the old saying you get what you pay for is often the truth.....

...Really? If someone came into my work with that attitude I would fire them on the spot.

If you take on a job and get paid for it guess what, you do the best you can at it you don't half *** it because "well, I took the job and knew what the pay was and knew what the risk was going into it but now I think that since it isn't a lot I will only do a half assed job." BULLSHIT!
If you don't like your pay, get a new job and don't give me that "I do it because I love it" crap either. We do our jobs for a paycheck plain and simple money makes the world go round not love.

It's just like the teachers North of Seattle going on strike because they "don't get paid enough" (like my sister-in-law). They knew what the pay was and what their job entailed but when you ask them why they became a teacher they all say "Oh, because I love children and want to help them." Hypocrites.

I will say it again...

I have met cool cops and total asshole cops. I have also worked with cops (not as one) and I can say from experience that through out all the parts of the country that I have been there are more asshole cops than cool cops. That is why people have a blanket judgment and no matter how cool you are you chose a profession that will mark you as an "asshole cop".

There are a few cops that are still cool around here. But for the most part after meeting a few in different circumstances and how they treat people. My opinion has become a bit one sided. Unfortunately like was stated before...The good ones are getting a bad rap because of the corrupt/bad cops are setting a negative image.

No actually I don't at all, I have several friends that are cops. What I do have a problem with are lazy hypocrites and people that complain about their CHOSEN career.

I lived in Virginia for 58 years and have never heard of paying a ticket on the spot. Your parents got hooked by a crooked cop or had a great story. If you contact the Va. State Police they will tell you the same thing. Truth be told if you get a ticket from a Va. State Cop you did something wrong, they do not work on any Quota system nor do they pull people over for the fun of it. Small County Cops could be a very different story. All told it sucked no matter what.

I live in Va and that paying a ticket in cash on the spot never happens. I have been pulled over for no reason by a state cop twice. I was in my lifted Ram on 35s I was 3" under the law in the front and I was 1" under in the back..

The 1st thing both cops asked me was how tall is this truck and I told him I'am 3" under in the front and I'am 1" under in the rear. I rasied the bumpers for the 3" body lift also..They still messured and let me go..

Just got profiled the other day as well. Was riding in my buddies blacked out 91 Mustang 5.0 w/ a tricked out hood on it (not my style lol). Cop pulls us over in our neighborhood and says she pulled us over because he doesn't have a front plate. She takes his license and then asks for mine as well. (???) Comes back and says have a nice day.

I'll give 'em that it's a tough job. I feel for most cops, it's a tougher enviroment these days. I do have to wonder if the image portrayed in this thread isn't a deserved one.
I remember my misspent youth and my contact with the PD. 12 years old and thrown into the slam for shoplifting. (At mom's request, no real charges filed. Did scare the hell out of me). Having to pour my beer out in the school parking lot at the Friday night dance. Various encounters with the San Diego County Sheriffs about parties, bonfires and drag racing. All of it pretty much non threatening, kind of a boys will be boys type of thing. Yeah, there was some serious stuff going on at that time also, but it seamed that there was more of a context being applied to reason.
Moved to the OC, and there was a different climate. Was constantly eyescrewed by one paticular cop. (Couple of reasons, longer story).
20 plus years later, things are way different. I used to support the local heavy handed minions of the law. But, after having my truck towed because the officer happened to spot the expired registration. On a Saturday night. In the rain. With another car parked on it's rear bumper. And the tow truck happened to show up a minute after the police car. Funny thing is that the duty sargent said a neighbor called it in. Hmmm.
Traffic stop in Huntington Beach, while talking to one cop out my drivers window (knew the guy, he'ld been to my shop a couple of times), his partner jerks open the passenger door to my truck and tells me to throw the screwdriver on my seat to the floor.
Caught my daughter growing pot in her closet. Being a single fulltime dad, remembering the lesson learned in my youth about shoplifting, called in the cops. Yep, she got to see the inside of a cell for the night. I got almost three years of going to court just to get the charges dismissed.

Yeah, you got my support.......

No actually I don't at all, I have several friends that are cops. What I do have a problem with are lazy hypocrites and people that complain about their CHOSEN career.

Hmm,must be a Washington state thing..i know several local and state police men/women that accually love what they do for a living..as far as lazy people there everywhere in every career in this country...

I got a 64 Dart and a 65 Chevy Sportvan and they are both daily drivers. Van is flat black, both vehicles are obnoxiously loud, and both run big rear tires and jacked up. I've gotten one ticket in the last 19 years and it was well-deserved. I was taking my dad for a joyride in the Dart and we passed a cop coming over a hill going 72 in a 35. I pulled over at the bottom of the hill and waited for him to come back around because it was obvious he had me dead to rights. He was friendly enough and wrote it up as 60 in a 35 as a favor for pulling over. saved me $80 on the ticket that I was caught red-handed breaking traffic laws.

I always try to wave at my local cops when i see them because around here they mostly are good officers. But as was stated before its like any cross-section of society. There are good people and assholes everywhere. Unfortunately the assholes seem to ruin it for everyone most of the time.

lets not place all police officers in the same boat, just like theres good technicians, there is also bad ones, when you pay an officer in a small town or county, 22/24k a year to strap on a badge and a gun in order to protect an serve, you'll get 24k worth of police officer

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_343538_0_0_18/SalaryScheduleEPEA.pdf

Barbara Streisand!! Cops around here start off at $50,585 and top out at $64,521 and that doesn't include the 12% annually contributed to their retirement after only 25 years, fully paid medical/dental for them and their family and lots of overtime. It's not uncommon for cops to make $75K after overtime. OPE (other personnel expenses) like vacation, sick leave, personal days, payroll taxes, medical/dental, and retirement are usually about 50% of base salary. So that $50,585 actually costs about $75K before overtime. $24K, please, a meter maid might make that. Or Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Nope, parking meter maids start out at $35,172. http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_343537_0_0_18/SalaryScheduleAFSCME.pdf

You forgot about number 5

There's a different set of laws for cops or family members of cops.

"the officer came and pulled me out and yelled at me for not letting him know that my brother was a cop!!! My dad had called my brother who called the station. He would have let me go if only I had let him know my brother's name because he used to be stationed there."

Hey rednessssss.....just a little bit more info. The officer asked me why I didn't tell him that my brother was a cop. I told him that I never know how any officer will react to that response from me. Some will be fine with it and others will take offense. He said "That's true. I know a few like that."

#5 is no guarantee. To wit:

One night I was hustling to get to my date since I was late (speeding in my Mopar). An off-duty CHP flashed me his badge and told me to pull over to the side of the freeway. I gave him my license and when he flipped it over and read what my brother wrote on the back, he said that I was getting a ticket anyway and that if he had been in his patrol car (he was on his personal motorcycle) then I would have been arrested and my car impounded.

One morning at 6:00 two Marshalls showed up at my dad's door. They were going to arrest me because there was a warrant issued by the Whittier, CA court system. I ignored a traffic ticket that I had gotten because I was innocent (of course) and since Whittier had its own police force I figured if I just stayed out of the city then they wouldn't come get me. WRONG! My dad pleaded with them not to arrest me. He even pointed out the picture of my brother in uniform on his graduation from the police academy. Well, they took pity on my dad and did not put the cuffs on me. They waited until I had showered and shaved and then they made sure that I appeared in court at 7:30. That little episode cost me hundreds of dollars.

DFX, any cop that pulls you over when they are off-duty is a tool. You could literally spend your entire life doing car stops as I witness multiple violations every moment I drive.

As a cop, I think things have changed in the past decade. I started in 94 and there was cohesiveness within the profession and a general respect for the authority. I disagree with those who say 90-98% are jerk offs, but I must admit there are a lot. I've been pulled over in NJ for no reason and in NC for good reason. I acted pleasant during both stops and was let go. But I had no respect for the NJ cop because I knew he pulled me over for no justifiable reason.

I work in a location that is always in the top 10 Most Dangerous Cities. I can tell you that dealing with murders, shootings, stabbings, robberies, drug sales and drug use, by poor urbanites or rich suburbanites, takes a toll on your faith in mankind. When you spend the majority of your life in those conditions, you change as a person. So that may be the reason some cops come off as not liking their job.

That isn't to say that you have the right to violate the constitution, but some people just don't reply to "sir." In order for people like that to take you seriously and permit you to reach a resolution, you must escalate your authority. I understand that some will say that's just abusing your authority, but I have experienced it firsthand. Some people just hate cops and they make it more difficult to settle things. And some cops don't have people skills and in turn they make things hard to accomplish.

Not every police-citizen encounter is going to be textbook, but as an individual I promise you that my premise is to allow you to dictate what occurs. I don't like making insurance companies rich nor do I like being treated like a POS. If your violation was minor, I never write a ticket unless you abuse me. I pull people over for minor violations only because they might lead to major arrests. If your violation was dangerous, and you don't abuse me, I may write a ticket (if it exists) that doesn't involve your insurance company. Or I may just remind you with a warning that your actions endangered others. But the bottom line is you dictate to me how I react.

So I think both sides (pro and anti) have a legitimate argument. I hate corrupt and hypocritical cops myself, but my 16+ years of service has proven that even though dirt bag cops exist, they are usually the exception and not the rule.

Time to put the LE bashing thread to rest. In regards to an earlier statement made that a car from another state driving in Penn. and therefore you are bound to their DMV rules? If your car is legal is in the state the car is registered in, you do not need to "modify" your car in "compliance" with all other 49 states. I understand Delaware has pretty lenient laws with hot rods and as soon as the cross into Maryland, they get hemmed up in Ocean City for all sorts of violations which are perfectly fine in Delaware. I would contest every one of them.
I am a car guy and unless you are acting stupid, you will get a thumbs up and heck, I probably will encourage a burnout. There are penty of times I light my ride up and open up the throttle on public streets.

Earlier, someone wrote their parents got caught with out of state tags?
Since when was this illegal? Is there a law stating you are not allowed to cross state lines with your car? (I did go to a drag strip in Mayland and my window got damaged. I needed a police report and when the officer arrived he wanted to know what "I was doing all the way out there." I didnt tell him I was a fellow LE officer, but often wonder if I am breaking any laws by going beyond 2 miles of my house.

Welcome or not heres my 1/2 cent.

Cops here in the greater Seattle area pull me over all the time. No doubt because of "profiling". I get pulled over about once every two months for bogus crap usually within a block or two of my house. Its basically turned into harassment.

Every ticket i've recieved within the last 7 years has been thrown out of court for one reason or another. I now set my cruise control to speeds as low as 25 to avoid getting pulled over and drive like my Grandma everywhere I go and still get pulled over.

Recently while coming home from work (swing shift for last 10 years) I passed 1 hooker walking, 1 hooker getting into a silver chevy silverado extra cab, a small group of ghetto hoods standing outside of 7-11 (most likely selling drugs) and I get pulled over shortly after passing all of that for "cell phone use"......funny I wasnt on my cell phone. Cop pulled me over to see if I was a drug dealer with a pound of coke in my trunk. Fresh out of coke sorry to dissapoint everyone, and BS fake made up ticket was thrown out of court.

In the past few years there have been a lot of cases of cops killing innocent people and assaulting innocent people in the greater Seattle area. One of the most recent killings was of an old native american man who had been a popular wood carver for 30-40 years. He was partially deaf, did nothing wrong, and now he's dead for no good reason. Its straight up murder period. Cops here and elsewhere get away with murder period. People are sick of it.

People will begin to revolt against this kind of behavior once it gets bad enough. Some people have already revolted, some because they are clinically insane but revolted against police just the same. About a year ago a psychopath nutted up and killed 4 cops sitting in a coffee shop about a mile from my house.

When I walk into a Subway sandwitch shop or random gas station and cops are inside the store, I do not feel safe, my heart starts pounding as if i'm getting a stupid sandwitch and 5 gangsters walked in w/ guns........sameeeeeeeeeeee feeling.......my heart beat prolly doubles and I get nervous as all hell. I dont do drugs and I have nothing to hide......and yes I do have something to be afraid of.......THEM!

I have family that have been in law inforcement for 40 years. I have heard the stories of straight up theft, assaults, murder, extorsion, harrassment etc. A few years ago the police chief here murdered his own wife then blew his ******* head off infront of his children! The police CHIEF was just as psycho as the dude that murdered the 4 cops!

Recently my cousin who worked for Olympia PD quit because of the crap that goes on. He has has a good heart and was sorounded by corruption. He said F'it and changed careers.

I know that not all cops are bad or corrupt.........but for any cops reading this,,,,,,your peers speak for you......and perception is reality.

Cant stand the heat.......you know the rest.

Bad Shrimp

P.S.
Stroked 340
"All this badmouthing of police officers..geez,lets see you badmouth them when you really need one"

I dont ever get myself into anything that I cant get out of, I believe there will NEVER be a "situation" where a cop will have the opportunity to "rescue" me. When in those "situations" I let MY guns do my talking for me. And those "situations" have come up 9 times in the last 7 years. Cops dont jump out of the bushes to prevent robbers from attempting to do a home invasion robbery, they've never stopped drug addicts from attacking me, they've never detered drug dealers from threatening to do a "drive by" on my house.....atleast it has not happened yet. Each one of those things has happened to me and I protect myself, I have saved my own life multiple times. I can honestly say I dont think i'll ever "need" a cop. The one time I have called them, they took hours to respond. Immediately after an attempted robbery/home invasion was diffused with my patented boom stick to face maneuver a cop showed up behind my house for an unrelated reason. I aproached that officer first before calling 911 and after I told him what happened he said "sure i'll send someone over".....after 2 hours I called 911,,,,,2 hours after that someone showed up.......wast of time! That was 4 hours of sleep I missed out on, or 4 hours of gun cleaning I missed out on, or 4 hours of Beverly Hills 90210 I missed out on.

Perception is reality, I agree.

But reality is also that there are more than 900,000 cops in the US and an untold number of police-citizen encounters daily. The large majority are handled professionally.

Because of our authority, the incidents of abuse are always newsworthy. That makes it appear that it occurs more frequently than it actually does.

News of police related corruption has no boundaries. Acts of police related professionalism is assumed, because that is our job.

I understand the complaints of some, but believe the estimation of the number of bad cops is highly inflated.

It all comes down to money and the fact that 98% of cops are worthless when it comes to "protecting and serving" the public.

I disagree! I think it's closer to 99%. Most cops are full of :bs:

I drive about 80 miles a day back and forth to work. I wish I had a camcorder strapped to the hood of my car so I could record all the traffic violations cops commit!

As a matter of fact, not long ago I had a cop drive by me so fast I felt like I was go 150 mph...IN REVERSE!

And you should see them when they get off their morning shift...usually around 3:00 in the afternoon. These ignorant cops drive recklessly through the interstate with no regard for safety. The only good thing is they seldom harass anyone since they're so much in a hurry to get home.

Serve and to protect my :bootysha:

Here we have a Sunday evening cruise night. The police have been instructed to stop as many cruisers as possible & go over the cars with a fine toothed comb. Tickets have been handed out for not having functional windshield washers, tailights that are not DOT approved, altered suspensions, etc. Two weekends ago they stopped 141 cars & they made sure that not one car passed.

Time for 141 car owners to get together and hire a good lawyer!!:clock:

When an officer asks me for license, registration and proof of insurance, he gets them and 2 more items in the pile when handed to him too.
My Hand gun carry permit and a mini copy of the US Constitution!:read2:

All this badmouthing of police officers..geez,lets see you badmouth them when you really need one:angry7::angry7::angry7:

When the hell was the last time you heard a cop actually thwarted a crime???? Eating donuts is not fighting crime!

There was a time when I was younger that I was constantly getting tickets for 3-4 over the limit from a particular town on the north side of Chicago, but I also have received warnings more than once and one time was from a state trooper. Only once have I ever been pulled over when I wasn't doing anything wrong.

That being said, Denver has had it's share of issues this year, but IMHO, it's the 2% that make the 98% look bad. Heck, I pulled my trailer back from Wisconsin to Colorado through 6 states with no plates on the trailer and never once got hassled (I did have the bill of sale with me). Maybe I just got lucky.

I also agree with DD on this point: Be polite and say "yes sir, no sir", don't do anything to make them nervous and be truthful. It works. I got stopped for expired plates years and years ago by really good looking lady cop. I told her the truth, I just procrastinated and it was my fault. She gave me a ticket which I deserved, I went to court but no record of the ticket could ever be found, nor was it on the docket. I even showed the court clerk the ticket and she said "If we don't have it, don't worry about it". :)

I dont trust cops period! Im sure there are good ones throughout. I live in Spotsylvania county Va. and the cops here seem to be some of the worst I have seen. My boys drive the tuner type cars. Hondas and integras. They have been pulled over more times than I can count. [normally let go for lack of evidence] One of them is faceing felony child endangerment for speeding with a 16 year old in his car. I believe this is reaching beyond the normal. Now I have to pay for a 3k lawyer to represent him. To beat all this is all being stated from an animal control officer whom said was pacing the cars. Cops never whitnessed any erratic driving. If cops want to be respected then respect the people of the county you serve! Again not all cops are bad. But the amount of bad ones I have come into contact with over shadow the good ones.

-
Back