Harassed on the way to the nats?

-
Accredited police agencies are where the good cops are.

You guys need to spend some time with the forsyth county police department.

These guys are top notch and extremely professional as their I's are dotted and T's crossed.
if they screw up, they are automaticaly reviewed, repromanded, recorded and action is taken by a review panel, and I'm just talking about little things too.

Most of them are former military and for good reason,
Forsyth does a great job. I used to feed them lunch everyday when I worked in Alpharetta at Wingman Wings off McFarlane

I'm a retired police officer and we are NOT all alike. I found
that giving someone a warning helped more than giving them
a citation. My thought was treat people the way I would like
to be treated. If someone was an asshole to me, that is the
way they were treated. Also, people get a speeding citation.
People get a ticket for parking on the wrong side of the street,
not putting money in the meter, etc.

after reading this paragraph...

"Though I try to give police officers the benefit of the doubt, these incidents simply reafirm my opinion that the police are complete *!#@'s when it comes to old cars, or any car with a hood scoop, stripes, or wheels. I'm sure somewhere in Georgia a meth lab was being built, a wife was being abused, a child was being mosested, a home was being burglarized, and a business was being robbed, but instead of fighting real crime, these officers were harrassing me because of my choice of vehicle."

I don't feel any sympathy for the writer...stick to the facts of the problem...his statement is just evil and a bigoted or stereo-typical opinion.

Hey...Its hard to say...maybe there was a report of a wrongdoer in the same type car (color)? Heck doesn't the new Camaro and Mustang look like a Challenger? To the noncaring..it does!

good luck...can't say all cops are bad in Georgia and the state is worthy of a boycott....

Aloha Mike

It's not slanderous to ask you a logical question, which instead of a return rant you could have said either "yes" or "no". Simple as that. It doesn't speak a single page about my supposed mindset; it was an appropriate question to ask you.
You have to realize that I'm not defending the (once again, use of emotionally-charged terms) "jack booted thugs" you're referring to. My point is that most Officers are people you can respect for the job they do every day. I could start a similar post about car mechanics, or attorneys, or judges, or Members of Congress for that matter. "They all suck, they're all corrupted, look at these handfull of articles I've collected, see, that proves it!" The reality is that in every profession, including the one you're in, has good and bad people it in. MHO is that the bad ones usually are the 1-5% who, under the right circumstances, will display their lack of Character and do the Wrong Thing.
I'm not P.O.'ed at you, or trying to insult you, so just back up your Angry Truck and cool off. If I did insult you, I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I was trying to have a rational discussion with you, but apparently I was wrong for attempting to do so.
As there isn't any point in continuing this, let me say that while I disagree with you, hopefully your opinion will change in the future as a result of Police Officer Conduct you happen to witness. Best of luck to you.

The big difference between car mechanics, and attorneys, and judges, or member of Congress is that none of them (even the assholes) will show up at your house, armed, and if they've had a bad day, conceivably shoot and kill you because "he was reaching for something shiny". If I do happen to witness something along the lines of someone being saved it will most likely be done by a fireman. A profession where public servants actually still do put their lives on the line for citizens every day and still go into burning buildings. And I will be sure to thank them for their service.

I'll leave everyone with a great video that no doubt showcases the "new police professionalism" that U.S. Supreme Court Justice Scalia was no doubt talking about as they were shredding the Constitution some time ago. And just a note about the Chief of Police Uhrig in this video, he was later arrested for sexual misconduct with a child under 15. This place was rotten from the top on down.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/scalias-new-police-professionalism/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3GlEe1kCHA"]YouTube- Brett Darrow Case: Cop Fired After Fury Against Motorist[/ame]

OK....
Another former cop here.

Now a word about Georgia;

IF you are coming into Georgia from the south you WILL be profiled.
That is a well known drug transport corridor.
Does not matter what plates you are running.
If you stay under 10 MPH over the posted in NON CONSTRUCTION zones you will more than likely NOT get pulled over. Unless you fit a profile or have some kind of equipment violation.

This is the down side of living in the highest drug transportation areas in the US.

Later,
Bruce B.

OK....
Another former cop here.

Now a word about Georgia;

IF you are coming into Georgia from the south you WILL be profiled.
That is a well known drug transport corridor.
Does not matter what plates you are running.
If you stay under 10 MPH over the posted in NON CONSTRUCTION zones you will more than likely NOT get pulled over. Unless you fit a profile or have some kind of equipment violation.

This is the down side of living in the highest drug transportation areas in the US.

Later,
Bruce B.

Very very true Bruce. Especially with all the pain clinics in Florida. We are considered one of the biggest buffer states for drugs distributed internally because Atlanta and Georgia itself is a main hub for many highways and buisnesses such as the USPS

I try and avoid these topics but I guess I will jump in.

1. When you leave your home state, you stick out and you increase your chances for roadside visits if for no other reason than your plates.

2. The more your rig sticks out, the more attention you will draw to your self. Case in point, I drive a semi-trashed but stock Toyota 4x4 and an ancient Dodge Cummins. I tend to drive slower and much more carefully when I drive the Jeep in the pics. Wonder why??? Because I draw attention to myself.

I like cops myself, and the last two school resource officers were car guys. One guy had a truck way bigger than mine, and the other drives a muscle car, a nice one. The worst thing that ever happened to me was I had bought a 4x4 from a guy that was a regular drug user and local at the jail. I literally had 4 cops around me at one time. I was going 55 and a guy flipped and tailed me. Eventually I was pulled over for something minor. The police told me outright that they thought I was him. As soon as they found out it was me, they never ever pulled me over again. They talk.......

I have never had a ticket and I have always been nice.

I will say this, almost everytime that I get pulled over, I am driving a modified rig. Always........that is why I try and comply with the law, but really it is hard with 40" tires.

Just my thoughts.

ROB

CIMG0026.jpg

Cant blame people to get pissed about seeing peoples rights being violated. When I was younger I was a smart *** and would never just get a warning. As i,ve gotten older I learned to keep a pleasant face and respond with yes sir and no sir and the last few times i have been pulled over I have been told to slow it down and have a good day. Bad attitudes breed bad attitudes is what i have learned.

Wow!!! never had any problems in the last 25 years in the Chicago area (knock on wood)
IDK how "not"; I have for all of the last 25 years;
and boy this hits home; I have been "locked out" when I bring up being PO'd by harassing cops and fines that wind up triple what is "posted" on the back of the ticket; seems even our own govt has no clue what "truth in advertising" is;
missing license plate 78 Fury? nailed cost $75; issued to my wife last summer (I think because my name is also on teh registration) seat belt? twice in 8 months driving my 83 Dodge 3/4 ton. aint they got anything better to do? what about these fast n furious guys that weave in n out and pass everyone like they are sittin still; aint that more serious and a bigger danger to society as a whole? but all I gotta do is have a tail light out and I get an "automatic" ticket. NEVER a "warning" always costs me out of my pocket many times what a lighbulb would, IF I had known it was out.
I have one on Ramcharger Central as we speak and all everyone ever wants to do is chastize me like they have never ever done a single thing wrong; it's easy to judge someone from behind another computer when like the judge in court was NOT with you, did not tail the cop and take notes on the stop, but somehow in court youre ALWAYS "guilty" they don't dismiss $#!t.

This thread is actually, finally a "nice" way to put how I've felt for years, I come on a lil strong but cmon doesnt about anyone when they have been PO'd???? I sometimes have a hard time "wording things nice" or "sugar coating" it to a PG 13 level;
I NEVER get angry with a cop when I am first stopped; always answer any questions they have always have my license and insurance card out before being asked; the closest I come to giving them a hard time is maybe showing a lil nervousness over being stopped; but once they hand me a ticket? (which happens every damn time; I'd like to know what its like to get a "warning" occasionally) I GET PISSED!!!!! because I'm tired of it;
oh and though when I go to HQ to ask why I was stopped when there are larger issues they should be attending to, that "its their discretion" (the cops at the scene always tell me they have no authority to give warnings, only tickets)
or they tell you that they do you a "favor" by writing you up under "local" ordinance instead of "state statute" and you find out from the insurance company that they did in fact report it to State...... an outright lie.....

The big difference between car mechanics, and attorneys, and judges, or member of Congress is that none of them (even the assholes) will show up at your house, armed, and if they've had a bad day, conceivably shoot and kill you because "he was reaching for something shiny". If I do happen to witness something along the lines of someone being saved it will most likely be done by a fireman. A profession where public servants actually still do put their lives on the line for citizens every day and still go into burning buildings. And I will be sure to thank them for their service.

I'll leave everyone with a great video that no doubt showcases the "new police professionalism" that U.S. Supreme Court Justice Scalia was no doubt talking about as they were shredding the Constitution some time ago. And just a note about the Chief of Police Uhrig in this video, he was later arrested for sexual misconduct with a child under 15. This place was rotten from the top on down.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/scalias-new-police-professionalism/

YouTube- Brett Darrow Case: Cop Fired After Fury Against Motorist

This kid was definitely a smart *** punk that needed his *** kicked, he just happened to be able to push this cops buttons with his smart *** attitude and got the exact result he wanted. hence the camera.
I guess he had nothing better to do that night as his worn out prostate and rosy palm needed to cool off so what better than to try to piss of some cops that have to approach every idiot with the thought that "this could be the stop where someone tries to blow my brains out."
of course the cop is gonna get a little on guard once Mr. Rosy palm strat copping an attitude.

I think cops should be able to kick peoples asses sometimes just because they deserve it.

Money hungry extortionists.

There aren't too many cops I would give the benefit of the doubt too either, pretty sad.

They have NO judge of character besides money/no money and ??

This kid was definitely a smart *** punk that needed his *** kicked, he just happened to be able to push this cops buttons with his smart *** attitude and got the exact result he wanted. hence the camera.
I guess he had nothing better to do that night as his worn out prostate and rosy palm needed to cool off so what better than to try to piss of some cops that have to approach every idiot with the thought that "this could be the stop where someone tries to blow my brains out."
of course the cop is gonna get a little on guard once Mr. Rosy palm strat copping an attitude.

I think cops should be able to kick peoples asses sometimes just because they deserve it.

So I guess he used his Jedi Mind Tricks to get the cop to commit a few felonies that night by threatening to "make up" charges against him, say he "resisted arrest" and "show him what a cop does"???? All of which are illegal. You know what they call people who break the law, even people with badges, criminals. The only difference is this JBT only got fired instead of what he deserved which was to go to jail. The only thing the kid was guilty of was "failure to give a cop a BJ". I guess the saying needs to changed for folks like you, "this used to be a free country."

When I was 19 I was at a party that got busted. I was not drinking and a friend and I were in my 70 Coronet. A cop saw us leave, so he followed me bumper to bumper with his brights on aqbout 5-8 miles. I went 55 and almost stopped to ask him wtf his problem was. Stuff like that is BS. I haven't really been harassed much thos in my old cars

Been driving older, modified, loud (borderline obnoxious) vehicles off/on for years.....never had an issue with officers. I guess I should consider myself lucky

Back to your law enforcement bashing!

I believe that most cops are good and I have no problem with them. I'm sure they do a lot of good.

However, I did lose a little respect for SOME due to two experiences. One minor car-related, the other major and not car-related.

Minor: When I lived in Virginia for a year, I was pulled over a couple times by cops who thoroughly went over my vehicle for violations. Why? Because it's RUSTY from being in the north for most of it's life. It was completely safe, and as a matter of fact had PASSED the inspections as shown by the current Virginia inspection sticker on my windshield! (Don't even get me started on that scam either). The 2nd cop actually made the comment after he finished (which in my opinion he had no right to do anyway) that "well, I guess it isn't all that bad for a 10-year old northern vehicle." What? It runs, it's fine, not everyone believes in buying a $30k car every 2 years!

Major: I lived in a duplex (and I owned it). I had a drug dealer move in with my tenant on the other side (her brother). It was obvious what was happening right in my driveway every night. I called the police repeatedly and they did nothing, but finally referred me to the local drug enforcement unit. I called them repeatedly. I gave them his name, what he was doing, vehicle info, everything. Nothing. 2 weeks after he moved out, drug enforcement shows up early one morning on my doorstep, guns drawn. They even had guys with rifles stationed on the sides of the house across the driveway. I had to clean out my shorts after they left. Turns out the guy was wanted for quite a long list of pretty frikkin' serious offenses. I made it real clear to them that I had tried to tell them and they could have had him, but missed their chance. I had his correct name and everything.

I'm sure there are reasons these things happen, but I honestly don't think there are any GOOD reasons. They obviously wanted him badly enough to nearly pound down MY door with guns.

I got mine though, a little. The title to the drug dealer's pimped Cutlass showed up in my vacant unit's mailbox a few weeks later and I accidentally dropped it into the paper shredder. Hey, poop happens.

I had a guy I stopped with a similar setup who was in Western PA. from Eastern Ohio to attend a car show, and he got upset when I stopped him to chat with him about his blower. His argument was that PA. Inspection Law didn't apply to his car because it was registered in Ohio.

He was right. You were wrong. The Full Faith and Credit Clause of the U.S. Constitution requires each state to recognise the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. That's just one of several pieces of Federal law prohibiting states from impeding the free flow of interstate traffic. That is, states are not permitted to impede any out-of-state motorist whose vehicle does not meet the registration requirements of the state in which he is travelling, as long as the vehicle complies with the registration requirements of the state in which the vehicle is registered. Pennsylvania's motor vehicle equipment code applies only to vehicles registered in Pennsylvania (and there are other laws requiring those who move to Pennsylvania to register their vehicles in Pennsylvania, at which time their vehicles must be brought into compliance with Pennsylvania's vehicle codes).

State laws vary widely on window tint (which ones, how dark), lighting equipment, presence of a front license plate, and other aspects of vehicle equipment. There is no basis valid in law for ticketing a motorist from a 1-plate state because he is driving in a 2-plate state with no front plate. Likewise, there is no valid basis for ticketing an Arizona motorist in Michigan because his vehicle does not comply with Michigan window tint laws, or a Colorado motorist in California because his vehicle has headlamps that are permitted in Colorado but not in California.

I politely pointed out to him that we weren't in Ohio at that particular moment, and that the second he crossed the PA. State Line Pennsylvania Law applied to his conduct as well as his vehicle.

His conduct, yes, absolutely. His vehicle, only to the degree of regulation that covers all vehicles on the public roadways. For example, you cannot ticket an out-of-state motorist for having fog lamps not permitted on vehicles registered in your state, but you can ticket him for using his fog lamps in a manner contrary to Pennsylvania regulations. You can't ticket him for having tires wider than permitted on vehicles registered in Pennsylvania, but you can ticket him for squealing them (breaking traction). You can't ticket him for having headlamps of a type not allowed by Pennsylvania's vehicle equipment code, but you can ticket him for using high beams in traffic, or driving with misaimed headlamps, or driving after dark with no headlamps.

Yeah, cops can be real difficult to deal with.

In 1976 I was doing 75 in a 35 zone showing my newly rebuilt motor and street/strip clutch setup to my little brother and sister who were with me in my 1964 Polara 500 (bright red with lots of chrome). I burned rubber in 1st and 2nd gear and chirped 3rd. When the cop finally caught up to me I was only doing 15 mph just down the street from my house. He threw me in jail!!! Later, after I was printed, booked, and spent most of the night in drunk tank (I was stone sober), the officer came and pulled me out and yelled at me for not letting him know that my brother was a cop!!! My dad had called my brother who called the station. He would have let me go if only I had let him know my brother's name because he used to be stationed there.

In 2006 I was driving my Toyota Camry V6 XLE out to New Mexico. I had left Orange County CA at 4:00 AM because I was convinced that I could get to Gallup and back by Midnight. I was 3 miles from the Arizona border. I knew that the Arizona speed limit was 75 from the California border to just outside Phoenix so I took my speed from 85 mph to 95 since traffic was almost non-existant and I was making good time. Well, I didn't see the CHP car sitting on the median. He lit me up and I pulled over. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said 90 mph. He said that the radar had me at 95 which pleased me because that meant that my speedometer was accurate. We were very polite to each other. He told me that he would put me down for 85 and that would make me elligible for traffic school otherwise I would have to show up in court out in Blythe. The nerve of that guy!!

I found out a few things from my experiences (more than the afore mentioned two).
1. Everyone in the drunk tank was innocent and doing absolutely nothing wrong when their rights were violated by the cops.
2. Everyone of the 15 drunks in the drunk tank had "two beers, I swear, only two beers." 3. Everyone in the traffic schools that I attended (before the internet classes) was innocent and the cops should have been paying attention to the other idiot drivers who were going much faster/running more stop signs/driving more recklessly/had more outstanding tickets etc.
and the most important one:
4. When you are in the drunk tank and a 280 pound drunk gets the beer-shyts...BREATHE THROUGH YOUR MOUTH TO AVOID THE SMELL!

Yeah, cops can be real difficult to deal with.

In 1976 I was doing 75 in a 35 zone showing my newly rebuilt motor and street/strip clutch setup to my little brother and sister who were with me in my 1964 Polara 500 (bright red with lots of chrome). I burned rubber in 1st and 2nd gear and chirped 3rd. When the cop finally caught up to me I was only doing 15 mph just down the street from my house. He threw me in jail!!! Later, after I was printed, booked, and spent most of the night in drunk tank (I was stone sober), the officer came and pulled me out and yelled at me for not letting him know that my brother was a cop!!! My dad had called my brother who called the station. He would have let me go if only I had let him know my brother's name because he used to be stationed there.

In 2006 I was driving my Toyota Camry V6 XLE out to New Mexico. I had left Orange County CA at 4:00 AM because I was convinced that I could get to Gallup and back by Midnight. I was 3 miles from the Arizona border. I knew that the Arizona speed limit was 75 from the California border to just outside Phoenix so I took my speed from 85 mph to 95 since traffic was almost non-existant and I was making good time. Well, I didn't see the CHP car sitting on the median. He lit me up and I pulled over. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said 90 mph. He said that the radar had me at 95 which pleased me because that meant that my speedometer was accurate. We were very polite to each other. He told me that he would put me down for 85 and that would make me elligible for traffic school otherwise I would have to show up in court out in Blythe. The nerve of that guy!!

I found out a few things from my experiences (more than the afore mentioned two).
1. Everyone in the drunk tank was innocent and doing absolutely nothing wrong when their rights were violated by the cops.
2. Everyone of the 15 drunks in the drunk tank had "two beers, I swear, only two beers." 3. Everyone in the traffic schools that I attended (before the internet classes) was innocent and the cops should have been paying attention to the other idiot drivers who were going much faster/running more stop signs/driving more recklessly/had more outstanding tickets etc.
and the most important one:
4. When you are in the drunk tank and a 280 pound drunk gets the beer-shyts...BREATHE THROUGH YOUR MOUTH TO AVOID THE SMELL!

You forgot about number 5

There's a different set of laws for cops or family members of cops.

"the officer came and pulled me out and yelled at me for not letting him know that my brother was a cop!!! My dad had called my brother who called the station. He would have let me go if only I had let him know my brother's name because he used to be stationed there."

When the Nats moved back to Indy a few years back I had a Plymouth Volarie with a big block in it.I was pulled over 3 times in two blocks for no reason.

A few months ago, my friends and I decided to install a new set of gears in my buddy's '68 mustang. It was a first time install so it took most of the day and by the time we were done it was almost midnight. Keep in mind I live in Reno Nv.. it's basically a 24 hour town. Instead of my friend wanting to break in the gears the next day he wanted to go cruise it right then and there. So we read the instructions and it says to break int he gears with continuous cruising at about 30mph.
So he jumps into his mustang and I jump in my other friends mustang which was a '92 mustang with a not so stock 5.0 and we go on the cruise. We get a few miles from the house and need to pull over and turn around, so we pull over in a public parking lot, make sure nothing is leaking, then get ready to pull back out. As we're pulling out an RPD unit drives past us. He immediately flips a ***** and cuts off the two cars behind us (we're in the 92 mustang, the 68 was behind us) he then proceeds to tail gate us at 30mph for almost a mile before he lights us up.
Pulled the driver out and left me in the car.. proceeded to call us "**** bag street racers" but here's the funny part.. he said he pulled us over for going 30mph in a 40mph zone... at 1am... with no other cars on the road except the "break in" car that was behind us. he then went back to write the ticket.. after nit picking at the driver for a while.. the ending result of the ticket was:
$200 fine for a crack in the windshield that wasn't even visible from the drivers seat
$780 fine for no insurance (officer said don't worry when we were pulling it out)
$120 fine for non working headlights. (he asked us to turn the headlights on and we did... he said.. Oh they do work. but wrote a ticket for it? )

I am in school for criminal justice with an emphasis on Law enforcement. After the run in with that douche... I'm finishing schooling and not going to bother pursuing a career in that field now. Mainly because all the other officers I've met from other agencies in the area were just at single minded and retarded as that one.

sorry long winded.. lol

All this badmouthing of police officers..geez,lets see you badmouth them when you really need one:angry7::angry7::angry7:

Ok, I wasn't going to get involved here, but I'm sucked in too.

I was driving in my lane ( 4 lane road ) and a black sedan pulled out right in front of me and pulls into my lane from the right side of the road. All other lanes were empty . He caused me to nail my brakes to avoid hitting him. So, as I swerve while braking into the other lane I lay on the horn to let him know he wasn't the only car on the road as I passed him, figured who knows , maybe he just didn't see me. The black car takes a nose dive, ducks in behind me and flicks on his lights. Detective ! Pulls me over, rants at me for about 2 minutes about how he could have ticketed me for whatever he wanted to make up, how he could have all his 'buddies' follow and harass me if he wants, etc. The whole time I'm pooping my pants (not literally because I was too scared to produce) then gets back in his vehicle and drives away leaving me there unprotected on the side of the road (67 Dart gt 273 conv. btw ) . He never did tell me why I was pulled over, just wanted to yell at me for letting him know he almost caused an accident. Still hate that moment. 25 years ago.

Next, a two sided story:
Recently I was also pulled over ( rightfully I might ad ) as I was pulling into my driveway in my wife's jeep. Her battery had gone dead on her way home from work. She stopped at a light really close to home and the car died. It's very late at night, or early in the morning maybe. I get the 'call' . We charge her batt from my truck for a few minutes, I get it started and have her follow me home with her flashers 'on' in my truck as I drive the jeep without lights on and revving the engine when stopping and turning so the alt keeps the engine running. I did turn the lights and flashers on when any car came near us. Mind you, we live in a fairly small town where everyone knows just about everyone else through school sports, etc. Ok back to the story, I am on the road around the corner from the house and see a car coming, immediately see it is a patrol car, and turn my lights on. They let me pass, my wife in my truck with flashers on pass, flip around on a little 2 lane road so it took a 3 point turn, and follow. As they pass my truck with flashers on to get to me with their lights on, I'm pulling into my driveway. I shut the jeep off and start to get out to tell them what had happened. The driver / cop starts yelling at me and tells me to get back into my car, I ask why, he starts to lightly threaten me so I do what he says. He takes my info, license, insurance, the regular stuff, calls it in, says he can ticket me for multiple things, THEN asks me what was going on. All the while, their patrol car is blocking the entire road which is blocking my wife in my truck in the street. After an explanation from me he calms down a little, then swings one more threat back at me and tells me I shouldn't get out of my car like that. I say 'whatever'. Now, I haven't told you that the officer that was riding with the 'new cop' was a regular long time cop from town, 'dare' officer from our children's schools, and has know all 3 of my 'dare student' children and asks about the one who is now in college. I let it be, get the charger on the jeep and go to bed. A few days later we hear from another officer that the 'new' cop was chastized for being so militant to the people of our town referencing how he was so aggressive to me and others by his fellow officers. He was learning. So be it. I have had my share of tickets when I was younger, and been nicely warned several times like when my youngest was born and I left the hospital around 2am to get some sleep . I knew a headlight blew out leaving the hospital parking lot. Again, almost home, I get pulled over and get the usual, polite speach. They ask me if I knew why I was pulled over, I say because it is very late and I have a light out. They get the details I just described above and wish me congrats and tell me to go home and get some of the last good sleep I'll get for a few months, laugh and wish me the best. That's why I wave at all the cops around here. Since then , they all know that if they need help that they can count on assistance from me if they need it.
Just some of my dealings ..... for what it's worth.

-
Back