Harassed on the way to the nats?

-
Almost every time I have been stoped I deserved it.
The last time I was pulled over was a couple of years ago in my 71 truck.
I was early like 6 am I was going to work.
When the officer came up to the window he asked me if I knowed why I was being pulled over, I said it would be either the light was yellow or red.
He said it was red, and I did not disagree.
No ticket just a warning.

One time I was stopped about 20 years ago by a state trooper.
He gave me crap about not having a flag on my aluminum ladder sticking out of the back of my ramcharger (the tailgate was closed) I replyed with who could actually run it to it.
The ramcharger had 44" tires and the end of the ladder must have been at least 10' foot off of the ground.
He gave me a warning.

Each time I could have recieved a citation but being polite and courtious I recieved just warnings.

When I have recieved tickets, I have deserved them but I still remain polite to the officer, I have a few friends in law enforcement and you would not believe the crap they have to go thru.

ONE QUESTION----WHY, if you drive a nice car, restored, modified rarely used, whatever the excuse, you expect to be exempt from the law? I've driven a variety of cars in my life,somen the edge of legality but never expected to be exempt. I figured if I got caught it was all part of the "game" & I'd pay the fines & go on my merry way.
Peopel here that cry of being pulled over or cited are a CLASSIC example of what's wrong with this Country now---no sense of accountibility! It's always someone else's "fault"!:angry5::angry5:

ONE QUESTION----WHY, if you drive a nice car, restored, modified rarely used, whatever the excuse, you expect to be exempt from the law? I've driven a variety of cars in my life,somen the edge of legality but never expected to be exempt. I figured if I got caught it was all part of the "game" & I'd pay the fines & go on my merry way.
Peopel here that cry of being pulled over or cited are a CLASSIC example of what's wrong with this Country now---no sense of accountibility! It's always someone else's "fault"!:angry5::angry5:

I'll disagree with you. I don't complain about when I get tickets. Which actually hasn't happened in a very very long time. Last one was actually a parking ticket. My bad. I have problems with the way "justice" is served. The carrying out of the letter of the law versus the intent. Don't read this to mean I'm a cop hater. I am not. I do believe that there is a definate need for a police agency. I also know quite a few officers, both through my work and through one of my close friends (not a word I use lightly).

I'll will put to you that reputations are earned. Huntington Beach, Ca. is not the place to be a biker. You will get stopped every day. It's a guarantee. Long Beach, Ca. has a rep for being badazzes. And so on.
Anaheim has a warm place in my heart now, also. Seams the five oh at the happiest place on earth has a well earned rep for prosecuting every infraction.
(As told by an aquaintance in the Public Defenders Office).
My youngest daughter was caught outside of the House of Blues and given a ticket for posession.
Of tobacco. Yep, my 15 year old was caught with a cig. I got a call from the officer at the time of the "bust". After the verifying that it was my kid and I was her dad, his first statement to me in a very erectus tone was "Guess what I caught your daughter doing". After all the thoughts that went through my head, when he said she was holding a cigarette, I actually breathed a sigh of relief. She came home with a ticket, which suprised me, I thought we were going for the scare.
No biggie, I'll beat my kid, we will go to the juvenile court and pay the ticket.
(Minor involved, you gotta drag the brat down to court). So the day before the ON or BEFORE date on the ticket we go to pay. The ticket hasn't been filed yet. The clerk tells me that this is common for Anaheim. I was told to wait for the summons. Soooooo, after the Failure To Appear notice........

Get it yet?

We don't object to the police enforcing the law. We object to this being a revenue stream. There should be no proffit for the county to write a ticket. There should be no incentive to purposely build areas that have no purpose other than to catch normally law abiding citizens doing something wrong that has little to do with the public safety and more to do with generating revenue.

And as for cops and there families receiving different treatment, they should, they should be held to a higher standard and ticketed more.

Just my opinion.

I can't wait to get pulled over in my convertible that does not have and never had seat-belts in it. I am not sure how that is going to go, but court will be involved if I get a ticket for not wearing a seat-belt.

I'll grant you a Possession of Tobacco is a CS ticket & that certain areas/towns have problems that need to be addressed & even that alot of tickets ARE revenue generators & nothing more. BUT it's expensive to run a city and your $100-200 dollar ticket is nothing compared to the overall cost. A cop may make $30-50dollars an hour or more, plus the expense for the City Prosecutor & don't forget the Judge's Court Clerk, Bailiff & secretaries pay & you see the tickets actually cost the city money in some situations--and if a person is booked? That costs money,too. So sometimes it's not entirely a revenue generator.
And as for cops or their families getting breaks----whatever profession you're in, you'd give a family memeber or friend a "deal". Why is that okay, but if a cop let's a family memeber slide on a ticket, he's crooked? Plus, don't forget, lots of cops give lots of warnings, so it's really no different than how he treats the citizenry, so THAT complaint is invalid.
No, it's been my experience here,and I've been on this site awhile, a god number of site members a quite anti-police.
Tell you what guys, if you don't like how "we" do our job, go and (try to) apply & SHOW me how "easy" and "simple" the job is to do fairly THEN get back to me......

How much of a break do you want? Free cup of coffee? How about a steak? Hey, how about a brand new Buick? How about you and the Mrs. take that Bahamas vacation on me? You wouldn't mind ignoring that half acre of funny green stuff growing behind my house? We are friends now and I have given you all these breaks.....

I wouldn't be a cop. But then, I understand my ethical limitations.

I have to say I support L.E. I have never gotten a ticket I did not deserve and a few warnings when i did deserve a ticket. I have also been kicked out of Palm Springs, Ca for having a cracked windshield ( really stupid cop). I have ridden with L.E. quite a bit and once you set in the pass. seat for awhile you get a different view.

I also always wondered why cops sped around and didn't obey the traffic laws to the T. Funny thing is , when Mrs Jones has a barking dog complaint and the cops are not there in five minutes she complains! But if the cop is trying to get there in a hurry to serve the public, people complain!

Some of the County cops cover insane amounts of area and people want them to be at their door in five mins, when they are 40 miles away. Hurry but don't break any speed limits!

Lastly, this will be unpopular but, if a cop gives family a brak on a ticket, I am okay with it. They put their lives on the line everyday for not that much pay. Granted most of the time they can't be right there to save you, which is why you need to be able to defend yourself. (consealed carry laws). But they will put themselves between you and danger and do deal with the scum of the earth all the time.

I also always wondered why cops sped around and didn't obey the traffic laws to the T. Funny thing is , when Mrs Jones has a barking dog complaint and the cops are not there in five minutes she complains! But if the cop is trying to get there in a hurry to serve the public, people complain!

Some of the County cops cover insane amounts of area and people want them to be at their door in five mins, when they are 40 miles away. Hurry but don't break any speed limits!

I've always noticed this too... cops not only breaking speed limits but also other traffic laws like not stopping for a stop sign, illegal turns etc. It seems to me that if they're going to do things like this in the line of duty, they should at least turn on their lights. Maybe there's a reason they don't, but I can't think of one. I've even seen cops break traffic laws, then pull into a restaurant and get food, so it's certainly not always in the line of duty. It's a real double standard, and it pisses me off every time I see it.

To all this bashing, I say Jack Webb shed a bright light on L.E. with Dragnet and Adam 12.
Not to mention what effect Emergence had on Paramedic & Rescue services across to country.

These shows depicted all that is wrong and right with the LAPD at the time and what was expected of the PD. If every cop could be like Reed & Malloy and Joe Friday it would be a perfect LE world. As mentioned in other posts not everyone is perfect unfortunately.

As a reminder of what its like on the street check out Netflix for the 7 seasons of Adam 12 and Dragnet '67 & '68 along with all the seasons of Emergence. Its available for instant play on your computer or on your TV with a Ruko box or iTV box.

The other BIG PLUS is seeing all the cars of the mid sixties in action, especially the MOPARS !

My youngest daughter was caught outside of the House of Blues and given a ticket for posession.
Of tobacco. Yep, my 15 year old was caught with a cig. I got a call from the officer at the time of the "bust".

Donno why you put "bust" in quotes like that. Tobacco is rapidly and fiercely addictive and it is a slow, expensive, hideously painful killer. Cigarettes ought to be taken off the market; the legal age ought to be raised by one year every year until it reaches 25 (almost nobody starts smoking after age 24) and the current addicts serviced with readily-available, inexpensive, researched and developed nicotine doses -- pills or inhalers or patches or whatever -- breaking the cycle of kids starting smoking.

About thirteen years ago when I was in school in Michigan:

The exhaust system on my bright red '91 Dodge Spirit R/T (the one pictured here; blisteringly fast and quick) needed work. The muffler had holes and the catalytic converter was rattling. I was on my school's Solar Car engineering and race team, and there was a guy at the shop who's good with a cutting torch, so I did the work with his help. One thing I didn't have (couldn't get) was a new "doughnut" gasket. This is a sintered metal ring that fits between the exhaust headpipe and the exhaust manifold outlet, and forms a "ball joint"
so the engine in a front-drive car can rock back and forth without breaking off the pipe, as it would with a flat gasket joint. The old one wasn't in bad shape, BUT it squeaked when the engine would rock—very common with certain FWD Mopars. So before reinstalling the old doughnut gasket, I slopped (probably too much) antiseize compound on it. Anti-seize is made out of microfine graphite flakes suspended in oil-based
grease.

It was about 11:30 at night when we finished-up with my car, and I headed home. Almost immediately on starting the engine, the exhaust system got hot and all that extra anti-seize began to put out a lot of white smoke. I let it run in the parking lot for a few minutes to burn off most of it, but eventually just HAD to go home. It smelled pretty bad (burning grease usually does) but the volume of smoke was down. But the car had an electric radiator fan which was not yet on (engine cold). So when I would stop for a red light, smoke would build up under the hood/under the car (no wind that night) and would get left behind when I left the light. Can you see this coming yet?

Two lights in succession I accelerated from rapidly, BUT safely and legally. I never exceeded the posted limit. I never exceeded a speed safe for conditions. There were no vehicles in front of me in either direction. I never broke traction at any wheel. I was in full control of the vehicle at all times. This was spirited but safe acceleration, got the picture? The speed limit was 45, and that's where I settled-in between lights.

After the second light, there were headlamps right on my tail. I glanced back and saw it was a Crown Vic. With a light bar that wasn't turned on. He was REALLY riding my tail, so I figured either he wanted to get past or he wanted to talk to me, so I signalled and pulled to the right, at which point he lit me up. I pulled over, put on the hazard blinkers and interior light, rolled down my window, took the keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash, and put my hands atop the steering wheel.

Officer: What's your hurry tonight, sir?

Daniel: No hurry, officer.

O: How much have you had to drink tonight?

D: None. I don't drink.

O: On any medications?

D: No, sir.

O: You sure squealed your tires away from two traffic lights in a row!
I was way back there--I had to really work to catch up with you after you
left those lights! Why did you do that?

D: Officer, I just did some work on my car, and it runs much better. I
guess I got carried away and forgot myself.

(Oops, I wasn't paying attention to what he said. I never squealed my tires, and I only use that phrase casually, as in, "Let's squeal the tires outta here and go get some lunch!" I just thought/assumed he was objecting to my rapid acceleration.)

O: Well, that's fair enough. Let me see your license, registration and
insurance.

He took them back to his cruiser and I waited for about 25 minutes (what
was he DOING back there???)

He came back and gave me a ticket. He said "I wrote you up for doing it once, I'm giving you a warning for doing it the other time. You have an out-of-state license, which means I have to take it away until you pay the ticket, unless you want to pay it right now in cash. If anyone asks for your license, you show them the ticket. DRIVE MORE SAFELY!"

It was the end of a long day and I was tired, and I didn't put two and two together and figure out what had happened until after I got home. He said he was "way back there". He said I squealed the tires (s.5.09 is "Excessive noise: Squealing tires"). YIKES! He was way back there, saw a big cloud of white smoke, and a bright red car move away rapidly from the light. He assumed—or pretended to assume—that it was tire smoke.

I had a nice mountain of evidence: a receipt for exhaust parts, the tube of anti-seize, the tech service bulletin talking about squeaking doughnut gaskets, photos (taken the next day with the car up on a rack) of the headpipe with rivers of melted antiseize running down it and more photos of a steel plate with a blob of anti-seize on it and a torch below it, with smoke pouring off the anti-seize. I had the old, cut-off muffler and pipe assembly complete with holes. BUT even with all that, c'mon, is a judge REALLY gonna buy this, if he knows nothing about mechanics?

And I had an even bigger problem. About a week later, I was in the same car in the same area (different street), the light turned green, I went ahead. Again, rapidly but legally, safely, and in control. Half mile down the road, flashing lights in my rearview. Caramba! Different officer. He said "You sure accelerated away from that light back there! What's your hurry?"

D: No hurry, officer.

O: Gimme yer license and papers.

D: Here you are, officer. (handed him insurance, rego, and...ticket for "squealing tires".

O: WELL, WELL, WELL!!! So it's YOU! I remember hearing about YOU! Wait here.

He kept me waiting for nearly half an hour (what was he DOING back there?) came back, THREW the papers back at me and said "I'm not writing you for anything tonight, but if you try to fight that other ticket, I'm coming to court and testifying against you!" and stormed back to his cruiser.

Um, something smells funny, and it's not burning anti-seize. In the first place, he didn't write me for anything because I didn't do anything wrong. For those keeping score at home, that's two infractions I did not commit. And even if I had done something wrong the first time, I don't believe guilt by association is legal yet in courts. In the third place, what on earth would he testify? "I saw the same guy accelerate rapidly a few nights later"? Right. No, it was pretty clear that I was targetted by an eager-beaver young cop because I had a red car that could go fast and I had out of state tags.

Some time later, my hearing date came up. I showed up in sharp clothes and brought:

-The Shop Manual showing an exploded view of the manifold outlet/seal ring/spring bolts/headpipe

-The photos

-Empty new spring bolt boxes

-The old muffler/tailpipe assembly, with holes

-The tube of antiseize, on a paper plate, double-bagged.

-Joe, the coworker with the oxyacetylene torch who was helping me do the exhaust work (Who came to court looking--as always--as if he just came off a 10-hour shift of nothing but oil changes and exhaust work!)

The magistrate seemed like a nice guy--he wasn't taking any BS from obviously guilty people, but seemed willing to listen to explanations. My turn came, and the magistrate asked the cop to explain the case.

Cop sez:

"His light turned green and he squealed his tires quite loudly--extremely loudly--away from the light, and fishtailed. He got to another light and when it turned green, he did it again. I pulled behind him and he pulled over before I could initiate a traffic stop. I asked why he did that, and he said 'I did something stupid, and I figured you, being a police officer, would want to talk to me about it.' I asked him why he squealed the tires and he said 'I just put new spark plugs in the car and I wanted to see what it would do.'"

Magistrate sez:

"Mr Stern? Would you like to explain?"

I sez:

"Yes, your honor. My version is different from officer Williams'. All of the locations are correct. However, at *neither* traffic light did I squeal the tires. At *both* traffic lights I accelerated rapidly but safely and legally. At no time did I exceed the posted limit. At no time did I break traction with any wheel. At no time did I exceed a safe speed
for conditions. And I was in full control of the vehicle at all times. I would like to explain how Officer Williams could have gotten the mistaken impression that I broke traction. However, this is a front-wheel-drive car, which cannot be made to fishtail even if traction is broken at one or both of the drive wheels."

I got permission to approach the bench. I showed the magistrate the shop manual, which helpfully explained that a Dodge Spirit is a front-drive car and has an illustration of the manifold outlet and seal ring, pointed out the spring bolts, then showed him the tube of antiseize ("contains graphite in an oil base grease"), pictures (including obviously-new spring bolts) of the headpipe with melted antiseize, and pictures of smoking/burning antiseize on the hot metal plate. I said "I take great pride in keeping my vehicle in perfect repair. Because I maintain the vehicle out of my own pocket, I cannot afford to burn up the tires." I went back to the defendant stand. The magistrate said "What about your conversation with Officer Williams?" I said "I'd like to address a few points there. When I saw headlamps very close to my rear bumper and noticed it was a Crown Victoria with a light bar, I reasoned it was a police car and figured he either wanted to talk to me or to get past me, so I pulled over. And finally, just to clarify, when officer Williams said "What's your hurry?" I did not say I wanted to 'see what the car would do'. I said I had just done some work on it and must have gotten carried away."

Magistrate says "Well, you've got lots of evidence, and the conversation's in dispute. The court finds you not responsible; you're free to go. Officer Williams…try to remember your conversations a little more clearly, please."

(No sign of the bully second cop, of course.)

So okeh, I got out of a bogus ticket and I didn't get skeered by a bully just because he was in uniform. Great. And I can even pretty much understand why the first cop stopped me based on what he thought he saw. But then to go to court, take an oath, and break it by lying through his teeth? I've got a problem with that. That's not acceptable. It wouldn't be acceptable by you or me, and it sure as hell is not acceptable from Officer "To Serve And Protect" Williams or any other LEO.

(And before any LEOs here start excusing Officer Williams because a traffic cop's job is really hard: I know. Go read this what I wrote about the utterly impossible job of enforcing lighting violations.)

This thread is crazy, I had no idea so many people had such a low opinion of the law enforcement officers.

When I was pretty young, I got a lot of tickets I deserved.

Now that I am old and gray, I don't get a lot of tickets I deserve. It is kind of evening out, and I appreciate the fact that they are profiling. :D

Seriously, I have a local officer who loves my hobby, and spends a lot of time with his car running out in front of my house. He really does spend a lot of time there, just because he enjoys seeing what I do.

A couple years ago, my little sister and niece were in town for a visit. We went for a cruise in the Barracuda, (very loud) and saw him. I lit them up right beside him on a very busy street, and passed him. The look on his face was priceless!

He is a great guy, and tries very hard to do a good job.

The only time I have been stopped in the last ten years, I was "peeling out" in my new Challenger with my boss and wife in the car on the way to a meeting.
The officer came up, and said what are you doing? My boss said he is showing off. Laughter ensued, and the officer told me to get on my way. Age has its rewards! :D

In our area of SoCal, To roll code (lights and siren), you have to have permission from the watch commander. Also they always said that lights and siren caused more problems than just getting past the people quickly and quietly while responding, say as a backup to another officer. I rode with Bend Oregon PD once and they were allowed to use lights and siren whenever they felt neccsary in the line of duty. I know it's complicated, I would have a real issue with an officer using it to get to lunch though. I never rode with any cops that did that.

The only problems that I have had with the cops in PA have come from the local cops. I think I have been pulled over in all of the small towns within a 30 mile radius of my home while driving an older car. I was never ticketed any of those times. I think they just pulled me over just to see who was driving. Some even lie when telling me why they pulled me over.

I have also been ticketed when driving my daily driver by both local and state cops. The state cops have always been nice to me and the locals were almost always total jerks. I hope that I will never be pulled over again. Although if I am, I sure hope that it is by a state trooper.

There have been a lot of negativity on the local news for as long as I can remember on the local cops in my area. From bar fights, drunk driving, proposition of sex, and then in Brookville a man died in a squad car after being in it for over 5 hours unattended.

Craig

Donno why you put "bust" in quotes like that. Tobacco is rapidly and fiercely addictive and it is a slow, expensive, hideously painful killer. Cigarettes ought to be taken off the market; the legal age ought to be raised by one year every year until it reaches 25 (almost nobody starts smoking after age 24) and the current addicts serviced with readily-available, inexpensive, researched and developed nicotine doses -- pills or inhalers or patches or whatever -- breaking the cycle of kids starting smoking.

Well thank you for the soapbox Dan. I had no idea cigarettes were so deadly. I believe you missed the context of my ordeal, but thank you for clearing it up.

I'm saddened by the disrespect for law enforcement. Some is deserved, but most people never notice an officer doing there job, just when they are in the wrong. I've dealt with both good and bad. You shouldn't paint them all with the same brush. Did you notice the officer that did nothing when you drove by? Did you know about the one who didn't ticket you when you crept across the center line in a moment of inattention? Or any of the numerous other things we all do that we could be written up for? I'm not excusing bad cops, just suggesting a little balance.

Please I hope you will someday forgive me for forcing you to read my post like that.

Oh think nothing of it, there's nothing to forgive. Seeing how you quoted my post and highlighted my words, I figured you were trying to say something to me directly. I didn't realize it was a generalized PSA that had nothing to do with my post and in no way was insinuating that my being relieved that my daughter had been busted with a cigarette and not something much worse made me a bad parent. But that's only an assumtion I would make had the reply been written by a self righteous prick. Not you. So please, there's no need to apologize.

This thread is crazy, I had no idea so many people had such a low opinion of the law enforcement officers. :D
by being a Manager of a towing company with a city police contract I deal with San Antonio PD everyday. 80% of them seems to be real good and on the level folks, 10% are Proboscis Erectus and the last 10% I ain't figured out yet! Most cops here are sorta alright but every know and then you get that one that reminds you of Zed from the movie Pulp Fiction!

Wow. What a bunch of whiny, ignorant BS this thread has turned out to be.

Those of you that were stopped for doing ANYTHING illegal, no matter how minor or even ridiculous, GET OVER IT. You broke the law. Maybe it was dumb, maybe it was flat out stupid, but it just wasn't your day now was it? You broke the law, you got stopped. End of story, grow up, don't blame it on the officer that caught you.

To all of the conspiracy theorists bemoaning being used to fund the city/county budget, two things. One, your beef is with the lawmakers that passed all these ridiculous revenue based regulations, the LEO's enforcing these laws/regulations are just doing their job. And probably getting leaned on by the very lawmakers/politicians responsible for the lame regulations in the first place. Two, if you weren't violating said law/regulation, perhaps you wouldn't get cited for it.

To the law enforcement officers that posted, congratulations. Your posts are pretty much the only ones on this entire worthless thread that make any freaking rational sense. Barring one or two others. Pretty incredible that the LEO's that have posted have managed to remain calm despite being bashed constantly in this thread, while everyone else has devolved to name calling for no apparent reason whatsoever.

LEO's are just people. They are human, they make mistakes, and they occasionally get pissed off. I don't think anyone that's posted on this thread so far can blame anyone for getting pissed off. Some LEO's, just like some of the people that have posted on this thread, are just a-holes. The fact that they are also LEO's should not reflect on LEO's as a whole, just as I wouldn't want any stereotypes about FABO members drawn from this thread.

I drive my Challenger almost every day. It's freaking loud. It has rust. It rattles, squeaks, leaks, drips, smells of exhaust and has more than a few intermittent wiring gremlins. I drive it like a muscle car and have fun doing it. I even live and drive in (gasp!) California. And despite all of that, most of the time it's fairly legal. And I have never been pulled over in it (knock on wood), despite driving it for the last 3 years. I have definitely had my plates run on several occasions, and on more than one occasion have received the hairy eyeball from a law enforcement type. And probably deserved it.

If you do get pulled over, don't be an a-hole. If you don't think there's an "attitude test", and repercussions for "failing" it, well, no wonder you don't like LEO's. Maybe its not fair, but if you had to worry about every dumb traffic stop being your last because of some lowlife moron with a gun perhaps you would have a better grasp of "fair", and how it applies to real life. LEO's have to deal with things most people never experience, or experience only once or twice in a lifetime. LEO's deal with the worst our society has to offer every single day. And yeah, it will give you a bad attitude after awhile. Especially when 90% of the general population take them completely for granted. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. If any of you think you can manage your current standard of living in a society without LEO's, well, you're dumber than I thought.

And no, I am not a law enforcement officer of any kind.

-
Back