Hard to find 10” drum brake springs

-

RandyB

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help a newbie out. Here’s the situation, I have a 1965 Barracuda, 273 v8 dual exhaust. It has 10” drum brakes that I’m working on. I’m able to purchase a kit for everything except the spring that goes on the bottom of the brake. My 65 service manual calls it a ‘lever return spring’. I have the two top springs, ‘primary and secondary return springs’ coming in the mail. I’ve tried Napa, Orielly, auto parts, auto zone, classic industries, rock auto (where I did order the kit from), and I’d like to have new reliable hardware in such an important piece of the puzzle. Anybody help? I’ll either buy from here or online. thank you
Oh, and yes, I have been made aware that I put the shoes on backwards lol

5DEC1B61-6A44-4DBF-A404-2840B51667A9.jpeg

Hi all, hope you can help a newbie out. Here’s the situation, I have a 1965 Barracuda, 273 v8 dual exhaust. It has 10” drum brakes that I’m working on. I’m able to purchase a kit for everything except the spring that goes on the bottom of the brake. My 65 service manual calls it a ‘lever return spring’. I have the two top springs, ‘primary and secondary return springs’ coming in the mail. I’ve tried Napa, Orielly, auto parts, auto zone, classic industries, rock auto (where I did order the kit from), and I’d like to have new reliable hardware in such an important piece of the puzzle. Anybody help? I’ll either buy from here or online. thank you
Oh, and yes, I have been made aware that I put the shoes on backwards lol

View attachment 1715709983
The one just above the self adjuster?

May have to get it as part of an entire kit.
However, since its a part of the self-adjuster - that may also be available as a seperate kit.

From '63-'68 the brake systems are basically unchanged. A slightly different shoe was used in '68 that's backward compatible.
In '69 the self-adjuster system and shoes were changed again.
So what you want to look for is the 63 - '68 adjuster, and self-adjuster hardware and spring.

FYI Some info about the 'new' servo contact brake system
Servo-Contact Brake Service (Session 187) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

This when you really need the parts store with the old books and the guy that's been around so long he knows half the stuff by heart.

You may have to look in the Chrysler Parts Book. Get the p/n for adjuster spring your brakes. Then look to see if its the same for front and rear, 9", and 11" Then check some other years.
With the OEM part numbers, you may have chance of finding a cross reference or at least know what other models and brakes it was used on.
A lot of brake info didn't get transfered to the later books, never mind the computer for companies like Wagner Raybestos etc.

This when you really need the parts store with the old books and the guy that's been around so long he knows half the stuff by heart.

You may have to look in the Chrysler Parts Book. Get the p/n for adjuster spring your brakes. Then look to see if its the same for front and rear, 9", and 11" Then check some other years.
With the OEM part numbers, you may have chance of finding a cross reference or at least know what other models and brakes it was used on.
A lot of brake info didn't get transfered to the later books, never mind the computer for companies like Wagner Raybestos etc.
I’m looking

Worst case, reuse the springs you have. They only act on the self-adjusters.

Have you tried Laysons? They have a lot of early A parts.

Not entirely true. Early had a different adjuster lever. The place where the spring attaches is twisted, and that makes the spring different....:thumbsup:

Not entirely true. Early had a different adjuster lever. The place where the spring attaches is twisted, and that makes the spring different....:thumbsup:
Are saying there is a change in the self adjuster levers between 1963 and 1968 ?
I'm not saying there is or there isn't, just asking.
I know there is a big change in '69.

Last edited:
Nope not the one. But thank you for looking, I do appreciate it
I agree
That's what I mean when I wrote watch out for the change. Lots of places sell stuff they claim is for years/models that its not. Then they tell you to go change the entire system over. Which yes you could do if you have the shoes that match. But that's not what you were asking for... Been through this. Its a PIA

May have to get it as part of an entire kit.
However, since its a part of the self-adjuster - that may also be available as a seperate kit.

From '63-'68 the brake systems are basically unchanged. A slightly different shoe was used in '68 that's backward compatible.
In '69 the self-adjuster system and shoes were changed again.
So what you want to look for is the 63 - '68 adjuster, and self-adjuster hardware and spring.

FYI Some info about the 'new' servo contact brake system
Servo-Contact Brake Service (Session 187) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
got schooled thank you:icon_fU:

10 inch brakes only the shoes/drums width/ wheel cylinder are the variable// what's another $10 to find out ?? Ma mopar was only finicky on engines going fast no to much on stopping :steering:

I have the same problem but looking for 11 inch front. Every place i find them the shipping is a lot more than the kit.

-
Back