Hardest Thing I Have Ever Had to Do

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I have had some tough experiences including some near death type stuff when I was in the Army, but today I had to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I had to tell my 11-year old son that his "Gramps" (my wife's father) passed away. He loved him so much and looked up to him having spent a lot of time with him. He also knew that he was a Vietnam veteran and respected that. The anguish on his face crushed me.

It's part of life. We are born to live and die and continue the flow.

So sorry to hear this. It brought tears to my eyes... I lost my dad this year. It's a tough time that we all have to face someday. The sting of death is never an easy thing. At least there is comfort in knowing your dad is not suffering. Please be assured of my condolences.

Prayers and Condolences. It is always hard for any child to have to face losses of a family member passing on when they are young. Having lost my younger brother when I was 11 and he was 5, I was exposed to the reality and pain of a death at a young age. Unfortunately I saw my brother the morning he passed away as he was already gone and in bed and me and my brothers were trying to wake him up. We woke my Mom up and she immediately knew what happened when she went in to the bedroom. Very sad to even think about it after all these years gone by. Prayers sent.

Condolences to you and your family. Your young man comes from good stock, and i know he'll get thru it with time. I lost two Grandmother's & two Great Grandmothers between the ages of 8 and 10. I was very close to 3 of them and it was tough. As he gets older, he'll be able to reflect on the good times, although short, that he had with his Grandfather. Bless you guys!

Most certainly NOT intended to be rude or unkind in any way! I've had to explain to my four children a number of times when faced with the death of grandparents, pets, beloved neighbors and close friends of their own that everyone MUST eventually pass on. The cycle of life continues no matter how painful it is to those left behind. We can only hope to be loved while we are here in our own time on earth.

Never easy. I wish your son well. I was about that old when one of my Grandmothers died at the relatively young age in her very early 50s

Keep them in your heart and a little of them will always be with you. God bless!!
Mike

It's tough loosing a loved one.

At least he knew that gread grandparent. I knew all of my great grandparents on my mom's side, but none on my dad's....

Prayers sent for comfort and peace during this most difficult time! Time may ease the pain of your loss, but memories will certainly help heal your sons heart!! May God bless you and your family and lay His hand on your hearts!

Prayers sent for comfort and peace during this most difficult time! Time may ease the pain of your loss, but memories will certainly help heal your sons heart!! May God bless you and your family and lay His hand on your hearts!

May I share these words of comfort to 1969VADart..

Your son is fortunate to belong to a caring family. I hope he can take comfort that he had his Gramps in his life long enough to have great memories.

Prayers for your family. Never an easy time of life. I hope he has some keepsakes from your father-in-law.

Death is never an easy thing to deal with at any age especially for the young.
Having a caring family as you said will help him though this time.
He will always have the memories and the good times he had with his grandpa.

My prayers and thoughts are with you all in this sad time.

norshor

Sorry for your loss. Your son will understand more when he gets older. Losing someone is never easy.

-
Back