Hardtop windshield gasket on a convertible?

-

Cuda Al

Reaction score
Sometime back someone mentioned using a 68+ hardtop gasket on a convertible so they could use the bottom stainless and not the chrome plastic lockstrip.
I'm not sure who or where (another forum maybe?)

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Alan

#projectvertfish lower windshield "chrome" strip install​

Not what I was asking.

Not looking for 1967-1969 Convertible weatherstrip.
Not looking for chrome plastic lockstrip.
Not looking for how to install plastic lockstrip.
Not looking for anything related to 67-69 Barracuda/Dart OEM convertible weatherstrip or lockstrip.

I'm asking can you install a windshield in a 67-69 Barracuda/Dart Convertible using the HARDTOP gasket/weatherstrip so you can use the OEM STAINLESS STEEL lower windshield molding and clips.

Alan

I'm asking can you install a windshield in a 67-69 Barracuda/Dart Convertible using the HARDTOP gasket/weatherstrip so you can use the OEM STAINLESS STEEL lower windshield molding and clips.
I don't know if the hard top is the same as convert, but if it is 68 up it is automatically designed for the stainless strip vs the chromed plastic lock strip.

According to DMT not convert.
Screenshot_20230913-113724.png

Last edited:
I don't know if the hard top is the same as convert, but if it is 68 up it is automatically designed for the stainless strip vs the chromed plastic lock strip.

According to DMT not convert.
View attachment 1716141239
Yes, the Gasket/Weatherstrip is different between the Convertible and the Hardtop, that I know.
All 67-69 Barracuda/Dart convertibles used the same gasket that used the chrome PLASTIC trim lock strip.

What I'm trying to find out is can you use the 68+ hardtop gasket and add clips for the bottom stainless steel trim.

Alan

Al, I thought the bottom changed for 68 - 69 convert to have the steel trim.

Well you learn something new every day...

67 and 68 convert same lock strip. 2839148

Last edited:
I glued the 68/69 steel trim in my conv. and beside just telling you guys no one has asked.
The gasket is different between the 2.

Here is a pic of what I did. This was 30 years or more ago and there is no telling
what that bottom strip came off of, but it was cuda or dart.
I did have to trim the ends to fit under the conv. end pieces.

This is a little crude but I placed a bead about 1" long of black sealant
spaced out like the factory clips would be 8-9 places. pressed the trim in, taped it down,
let it set up and it has held up to stupid speeds for a long time.

This car is on my list to re paint and this time I plan to remove the windshield.
The windshield has never been out of this car. It was re painted in 1993.
If you find a clean and better way please share I will be doing the same thing
you are doing in the next 2-3 years I hope.

BOT-WSH-TRIM.jpg

For $100, I'd be tempted to order one and mock it up or as close as I could get if I already had glass in and didn't want to take it out.

I have "heard" yes, but I don't recall if I've ever seen it done. Also bottom ss trim would need slight modding apparently. It's a little shorter?

This weekend I'll pull the trim that I have and look at it. The things I'm looking at will be the spacing from the cowl, I have my fastback to compare it to. The other is the alignment to the a-pillar trim and as mentioned the size.

Alan

-
Back