Harmonic balancer bolt missing need help

-

matt71vh

Reaction score
I went to have the timing gasket changed an the mechanic says that there was no bolt and that it looked like there wasnt one in a long time. I really want to replace it but do not know where to get one or what size it is. Can anyone help me with this?

I have a 1972 225

thanks

They never came with one.

Only trucks came with bolts as far as I have heard. Pressed on only, Chevy style! Course you need something to install it.

The pulley is pressed on with a balancer installer.
However,if you want one,a small block bolt with washer will screw right in.
I have one on my slant. I like to use it to turn the motor over to TDC etc.

Thanks guys! After your responses I did some more digging and found a part number for anyone that may want to buy one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249557

Yeah it's 10$ for a bolt but if you are looking for one or need one there you go and I don't know about the rest of you, but I like dealing with summit.

Mine didn't have one when I pulled it apart, but it has one now !!I believe in overkill !!

Thanks guys! After your responses I did some more digging and found a part number for anyone that may want to buy one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249557

Yeah it's 10$ for a bolt but if you are looking for one or need one there you go and I don't know about the rest of you, but I like dealing with summit.

That ones for a big block mopar!!! It's 2.25 " long. I don't know much about slants but I don't think it is what you want.

I just measured a small block one and it is 2.25" long.

My 64 slant has no bolt nor a threaded hole in the crank as best I can tell. The engine casting number is listed for 1966 according to one source. A 74 engine I have does have a bolt, as I recall turning it over with a socket, but might have been added by the prior owner. A BB bolt fitting would not be a surprise since I understand the slant lower end shares some parts with BB engines, which is one reason they are so strong.

My 64 slant has no bolt nor a threaded hole in the crank as best I can tell. The engine casting number is listed for 1966 according to one source. A 74 engine I have does have a bolt, as I recall turning it over with a socket, but might have been added by the prior owner. A BB bolt fitting would not be a surprise since I understand the slant lower end shares some parts with BB engines, which is one reason they are so strong.

So how was your balancer pressed on ?
Don't say mallet.
I bet it's threaded.

You can get them at Napa. Some slants came with the bolt installed and some didn't. They're useful for installing the balancer or turning the engine over with ease but they are not necessary to hold the balancer on the crank.

3/4" x 2-1/4", 16-UNF

So how was your balancer pressed on ?
Don't say mallet.
I bet it's threaded.
I wondered that too. It looks like the crank pulley covers the bolt hole so you can't see it, thus you can't use a crank bolt with that pulley. This is the single groove pulley (no pwr steering or AC). I will eventually change to a triple groove pulley when I add AC, so I'll find out then.

Same bolt is used on all Mopar engines, /6, small block, or big block

Big block uses a much shorter bolt than small block and slant 6 came without bolt.

-
Back