Harmonic balancer?

-

mocar

Reaction score
I have a small block 340 came with a ATI balancer, pulley's don't lineup so I need to switch to a stock balancer. my question is are the balancers universal will they fit both cast iron and steel crank style?

If you have a steel crank you need a neutral balancer.....the 340 cast crank balancer is only for a 340 cast crank to externally balance it...

There are several possible reasons why your pulleys are not lining up (ex: wrong balancer, newer/older style water pump swap and/or wrong pulleys, balancer not seated properly, etc.). Can you post a few pics from different angles?

If you're ATI damper has a bolt-in hub type you should be able to purchase the proper hub for you're engine. The ATI damper is a very good damper, better than stock truth be told.

That's actually a popular problem. Evidently, several balancer manufacturers expect you to space everything else out.

I sold him the pulleys and they are a matched set from the same engine with stock balancer. There was another thread on here for the same issue with the ATI balancer which is thicker than a stock one.

so should there have been a ati on in the first place seeing I have a cast crank, and the ati is for a neutral balance/steel crank??

Depends on how the balance job was done.

Bite the bullet and buy the correct pullies. They are out there. Better off with a good dampener and needing to buy pullies than to put a stock one on just to use stock pullies.

Depends on how the balance job was done.

Bite the bullet and buy the correct pullies. They are out there. Better off with a good dampener and needing to buy pullies than to put a stock one on just to use stock pullies.
Well that's just it, I don't know what the correct pulleys are, that's why I'm reaching out for help.

Well that's just it, I don't know what the correct pulleys are, that's why I'm reaching out for help.

I'll look at the receipt tomorrow and tell you the place I found mine. You take a measurement from the face of the water pump down to the face of the dampener and they'll hook you up with the correct pullies.

It's certainly easier if you don't have power steering but it's doable.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

so should there have been a ati on in the first place seeing I have a cast crank, and the ati is for a neutral balance/steel crank??
OP, you are on the right track for questions... and a possible can of worms in seeking answers: the only 340 ATI damper listed in the link from 70aarcuda is for the internal/neutral balance setup.

IF the engine was balanced for the stock cast crank 340 balance setup, then there should have been a correctly imbalanced damper for a cast crank 340 on in the first place (not an ATI from the list posted), along with an inmbalanced flex plate (or something simulating the imbalance of the TC for the cast crank 340).If this was the case, you could pull off of the transmission inspection cover, slowly turn the engine, and look for either a 'bite' out of one edge of the flexplate, or a rectangular steel weight welded on the front surface of the TC near the outer edge. I would do this regardless of anything else at this point.

BUT, if you have much lighter pistons and rods than stock, then the 340 cast crank could have been balanced for neutral balance damper and flexplate/TC. (No 'bite' out of the flexplate nor any extra weight welded on the TC.)

SO, do you know what pistons and rods are being used? And do you know for a fact that the crank is a cast one? Even if it has a later 340 block, someone could have put in an earlier forged steel crank, and used neutral balanced damper and flexplate/TC.

Do you know the shop that balanced it? That would be the fastest way to know for what parts the crank was balanced.

Are you having vibration issues?

OP, you are on the right track for questions... and a possible can of worms in seeking answers: the only 340 ATI damper listed in the link from 70aarcuda is for the internal/neutral balance setup.

IF the engine was balanced for the stock cast crank 340 balance setup, then there should have been a correctly imbalanced damper for a cast crank 340 on in the first place (not an ATI from the list posted), along with an inmbalanced flex plate (or something simulating the imbalance of the TC for the cast crank 340).If this was the case, you could pull off of the transmission inspection cover, slowly turn the engine, and look for either a 'bite' out of one edge of the flexplate, or a rectangular steel weight welded on the front surface of the TC near the outer edge. I would do this regardless of anything else at this point.

BUT, if you have much lighter pistons and rods than stock, then the 340 cast crank could have been balanced for neutral balance damper and flexplate/TC. (No 'bite' out of the flexplate nor any extra weight welded on the TC.)

SO, do you know what pistons and rods are being used? And do you know for a fact that the crank is a cast one? Even if it has a later 340 block, someone could have put in an earlier forged steel crank, and used neutral balanced damper and flexplate/TC.

Do you know the shop that balanced it? That would be the fastest way to know for what parts the crank was balanced.

Are you having vibration issues?
The engine is currently on an engine stand I pulled the oil pan looked at the crank it has casting marks on it so I assume it is a cast crank the Pistons I believe our speed pro Pistons the rods look stock it is a four-speed car so it has a clutch. I purchased the car with this engine and transmission combination already in the car . I can post some pictures of my alignment issue later

I'll look at the receipt tomorrow and tell you the place I found mine. You take a measurement from the face of the water pump down to the face of the dampener and they'll hook you up with the correct pullies.

It's certainly easier if you don't have power steering but it's doable.

I'll let you know tomorrow.
The car has no power steering just a belt for the crank water pump and alternator thank you for your information

OK, you can confirm the crank casting PN from this list to see if it is forged or cast:
The Mopar 340 V8 high performance engines

With the heavy rods and pistons that all sound like stock, then if the crank is cast, then it would be hard to internal balance unless metal was added to the crank throws. You would see this on the biggest throws at front an rear. But this is all circumstantial info; again, if you can get any info from the machine shop or the seller, that would be good. Otherwise, the best guess if the crank is cast is that you are going to need the 340 cast crank specific damper.

How about looking at the flexplate and TC next to look for imbalance?

OKis the casting number visible oil pan is on I can take the pan off but I need to know if it's visible with the pan off so I don't have to pull Everything apart

IIRC, it should be right there on one of the throws; I don't have one handy to check. When you say the crank has casting marks, are they a very, very thin ridge at the parting line? (Like shown in the 4th photo in this link? Cast vs forged crankshaft)

And you can see the rod casting numbers; they will be on one of the wide sides of the rod beam. (Sorry, I thought you still had the pan off....)

Are the TC and flexplate easy to see?

IIRC, it should be right there on one of the throws; I don't have one handy to check. When you say the crank has casting marks, are they a very, very thin ridge at the parting line? (Like shown in the 4th photo in this link? Cast vs forged crankshaft)

And you can see the rod casting numbers; they will be on one of the wide sides of the rod beam. (Sorry, I thought you still had the pan off....)

Are the TC and flexplate easy to see?
Thank you for the information I will be pulling oil pan off sometime tomorrow.

who sells pulleys for a thicker damper? try and contact the engine builder and see if it was internally balanced

The place I bought my pullies is CVF racing. They can help you. Prices are reasonable.

Phone is 1-651-356-8593

Call them and tell them what you have. They will tell you what and how to measure to make it all work.

Keep us posted on how it goes. This comes up once in a while so you could be helping someone else down the road.

By the way, they are in New Prague Minnesota. It's possible they are of Bohemien descent. For those of us who are Reformation era history buffs...that's pretty cool.

For those of you who are not, that won't make much sense.

-
Back