Has anyone else paid attention to Housing prices? Wow

-
Here in Minnesota. You can find cheap lodging. City ghetto areas. Or meth infected trailer parks on the outskirts. The suburbs are moderately priced. Greater Minnesota has plenty of land and lake access. At reasonable prices. But of course. Nothing is free.

There is no perfect places to live. All of them have their positives and negatives.
If someone has the perfect place, let us know and I might be your neighbor.

mutual funds are junk IMHO.

Rarely do they produce returns equal to the benchmarks they are supposed to be correlated.

I tell people if you want to invest, buy SPY, QQQ, IWM and other things that don't have the fees and ARE the benchmarks... Fund companies taking 1% or more per annum over the lifetime is a REAL killer of overall returns.

Just a sample of the lack of value most "investment" pros provide.

How a 1% Fee Could Cost Millennials $590,000 in Retirement Savings

With the move to zero commissions on trading, yearly or quarterly rebalancing cost are a moot point

Plus, there are ways to juice the returns that NONE of those pros will tell you about. All they care about is getting your Assets Under Management (AUM) which is how they get paid based on a percentage. Does it matter the return... in most cases not one damn bit. If they suck, you still lose the "management" fee... if you suck, why should you get paid... Hmmmm????

Last edited:
Depends on where you live and what you do. Prices here are still reasonable. It's not all Bay Area and Los Angeles here in California.

Exactly! A house down the street from me just sold for $250K on an acre in a pretty cool area. It sold in a day or 2.....wish I would have snatched it up.

mutual funds are junk IMHO.

Rarely do they produce returns equal to the benchmarks they are supposed to be correlated.

I tell people if you want to invest, buy SPY, QQQ, IWM and other things that don't have the fees and ARE the benchmarks... Fund companies taking 1% or more per annum over the lifetime is a REAL killer of overall returns.

Just a sample of the lack of value most "investment" pros provide.

How a 1% Fee Could Cost Millennials $590,000 in Retirement Savings

With the move to zero commissions on trading, yearly or quarterly rebalancing cost are a moot point

Plus, there are ways to juice the returns that NONE of those pros will tell you about. All they care about is getting your Assets Under Management (AUM) which is how they get paid based on a percentage. Does it matter the return... in most cases not one damn bit. If they suck, you still lose the "management" fee... if you suck, why should you get paid... Hmmmm????
Well, I only can tell you that I am up over 35% in the past 3 years and still going strong. I made an average 8% return during the “Great Recession” and my portfolio is doing quite well.

Good enough for me.

SPY was up 31% and 18% the last two years, so in 2 years you are 20% behind just SPY at +55%. QQQ is even better with 48.5 and 39% for a gain of 106% over 2 years. IWM 25 and 20%...

Your fund was down 25% one of the years during the 2008 recession so saying it was up 8%, so were other equity based assets as well over the same period. If you are happy, good for you. There are alternatives out there that don't peel as much money off your nest egg and have historically provided better returns.

Ill be a millionaire when I retire and sell this house I'm in. Of course it will take 1.2M to buy another.......F it, I'll just take the money and move to Tennessee.

Ill be a millionaire when I retire and sell this house I'm in. Of course it will take 1.2M to buy another.......F it, I'll just take the money and move to Tennessee.

Lots of people out here are doing just that. I'm outta here as soon as I can.

I'd consider it if I could make what I make now in my line of work in another state. Plus, we both love it here, despite the politics.
That is likely not to happen . But consider that the cost of living and your tax burden is less , sometimes a lot less . IT may work out to your advantage . Hundreds of hard working regular people , like yourself, move to Texas/Idaho/Utah every month . It is the quality of life that they seek . California a beautiful , I know , but how much crap can you take ?

That is likely not to happen . But consider that the cost of living and your tax burden is less , sometimes a lot less . IT may work out to your advantage . Hundreds of hard working regular people , like yourself, move to Texas/Idaho/Utah every month . It is the quality of life that they seek . California a beautiful , I know , but how much crap can you take ?

Might I add, move here and FIT IN and don't bring your screwed up idiology with you. Unless you want to move into Mega Liberal Houston, Austin, etc.

I lived in rural Missouri 37 years and saw young people move there, some stayed and some left. Cost of living ( price of land taxes, etc) brought them, many found they could not make the wages they did back home. Cost of living? Price of groceries, gas, insurance can vary a little or a lot, depends. Price of r/e and taxes in Mo. versus where they come from, can vary a hole lot!
Move into the burbs and most fit in like a bump on a log.

California top income tax rate is 13ish %. Lots move from here to a no income tax state, but, you have to watch out for where is the revenue base coming from. I love north texas areas, but property tax... ugh... crazy rates but no income tax right... There is a trade off. That is one reason I'm not likely to head to TX. More likely one state north... Boomer...

I dont think California or Texas are the best examples of proper governance? One has too much? The other not enough. And both suffer for completely different reasons.

Looking at the "Big picture?" It appears people like Republican leadership when times are good? And why wouldn't we? Less taxation, less regulation, less law intrusion. But when things get tough? Democrats appear to have better collective efforts. The pandemic is a decent example. So was the Great Depression. So was the Great Recession.

I truly believe we dont have to all come together and agree on everything. In fact? The constitution is wrote with the premise that we don't agree. I also believe if you stand on only one side of the road? Whether politically? Socially? Including investments? You will eventually get washed out. It's those that can adapt and diversify that keep moving forward. JMO.

Everyone is moving to Texas.Even out in the sticks stuffs to high
I agree with that Wife has been a country r/e agent 10yrs or so. I lived in Missouri until 4 years ago. The Est side of Tx has way too dang many people and land prices are stupid unless way out in the sticks. I you have a few acres and a couple of goats, whatever, Tx let you claim ag and has homestead exemption, still taxes are not like Mo. where dirt cheap in rural areas. But ya gotta remember noodln catfish in Mo. is considered a true sport. Not everyone wants to be a ridge runner or hillbilly?

But consider that the cost of living and your tax burden is less , sometimes a lot less . IT may work out to your advantage . Hundreds of hard working regular people , like yourself, move to Texas/Idaho/Utah every month . It is the quality of life that they seek . California a beautiful , I know , but how much crap can you take ?

We've done the math. It just doesn't make financial sense for us to move out of state right now. When we retire in 17 yrs. - that's another story. The trick for us is to just not let the politics bother us. Like Jim said, it's not all San Francisco and Los Angeles in this state. Sure the income tax rate is relatively high, but we're willing to put up with it to maintain the lifestyle we have. Hell, once we actually do find a place to move to up the hill a bit (hopefully in the next few months), we'll be set for the rest of working lives, and maybe longer.

I retired 2 1/2 years ago and the wife is still working for a bit more. I want to go someplace else before I get to dam old to do anything.
Were not wealthy by no means so budget is a concern. So taxes and housing cost are a top priority but were not young either and need access to quality health care too.
I've been trying to find the pluses and minuses of different states for 2 years and have come to the conclusion that while the Michigan winters are getting harder to take and its not cheap, income tax is 4.35%, we'll probably stay here for the duration.

California top income tax rate is 13ish %. Lots move from here to a no income tax state, but, you have to watch out for where is the revenue base coming from. I love north texas areas, but property tax... ugh... crazy rates but no income tax right... There is a trade off. That is one reason I'm not likely to head to TX. More likely one state north... Boomer...

Agreed. And once you retire, in Texas you'd be paying high property taxes forever and no income tax (big deal, it's no longer a perk if you're not working). Whereas in CA, the property taxes are lower and income tax is higher (seems preferable once you retire). Although don't get me wrong, I hate this state's politics.

Agreed. And once you retire, in Texas you'd be paying high property taxes forever and no income tax (big deal, it's no longer a perk if you're not working). Whereas in CA, the property taxes are lower and income tax is higher (seems preferable once you retire). Although don't get me wrong, I hate this state's politics.
I don't know about other states but an income tax applies to your pension.
So its a forever tax like federal income tax too.
Just went to Home Depot today and a 2x4x8 was $7.69 each. Not long ago it was $2.69.

I don't know about other states but an income tax applies to your pension.
So its a forever tax like federal income tax too.
Just went to Home Depot today and a 2x4x8 was $7.69 each. Not long ago it was $2.69.

That will change by the end of the year.... Ain't no way it will keep the pace.... If it does I would definitely be eating my words...

JW

You got that right. Lumber prices have just been ridiculous. I picked up a PT 4x4x8 last week at Lowe's to repair a fence for right at $16. Absolutely nuts!!!

I have to skid a machine for our company this upcoming weekend. 14k on the scales. 22' long and 6' wide. I cringe to think what the material cost is going to be.... Stupid...

JW

-
Back