Has anyone heard of a 68 1/2 production run?

-
My Barracuda is a late 68 build (June `68) and the rear glass is coded with a date of 6-68. My 68 Dart is a real early build (August `67) and the sideview mirror is coded J7 which is July `67. You might be able to close in on a build date by decoding your glass. Anything past a July `68 date and you`re likely to have a `69. Does your car have round sidemarker lights/patches where there were marker lights or rectangular? You should have a part of the VIN stamped on the engine and transmission if the engine/transmission is part of an original drivetrain.

I wouldn't necessarily assume it's stolen just cause the vin may have been added to a different car don't get me wrong it's certainly possible but it could have just as easily been a sentimental thing, The original owner may have wrecked their 68, bought the 69 and switched the vin number over to feel like they still had their original car. I know quite a few guys who have done that (I don't really understand the reasoning but it's their car) Also you said the rear marker lights are welded over can you tell if they were 68 or 69 markers maybe its a 68 that got wrecked in the front end and someone bought a 69 to fix it and decided to put all the 69 trim on it. P.S. post some more pics and did you ever find out what year doors you have. Let us know Justin

I wouldn't necessarily assume it's stolen just cause the vin may have been added to a different car don't get me wrong it's certainly possible but it could have just as easily been a sentimental thing, The original owner may have wrecked their 68, bought the 69 and switched the vin number over to feel like they still had their original car. I know quite a few guys who have done that (I don't really understand the reasoning but it's their car) Also you said the rear marker lights are welded over can you tell if they were 68 or 69 markers maybe its a 68 that got wrecked in the front end and someone bought a 69 to fix it and decided to put all the 69 trim on it. P.S. post some more pics and did you ever find out what year doors you have. Let us know Justin
the door locks are forward of the handle. That would make sense someone swapping the dash. It would be a lot of work to switch everything else over. Works out pretty good for me being registered as a 68. no more emissions! I do like the power bulge hood also.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002a.jpg

Picture 004a.jpg

Picture 005a.jpg

Picture 006a.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002a.jpg

Picture 004a.jpg

Picture 005a.jpg

Picture 006a.jpg

I have heard from a couple of sources that existing stocks of car parts were used up as much as possible by the factory at the time of conversion to next-year model runs. This was not done on customer-ordered cars, but on volume runs that were shipped to dealers for off-the-lot sales. They might include mismatched interior components and some mechanical. Have any of you guys also heard about such goings on at the factory?

I have also heard that company "executives" often ordered options not available to the customer, such as items mixed from various trim/performance packages.

VINs are not stamped on the body, motor, trans, or fender tag in '68 and earlier. This started in '69. The number you are thinking of is a sequence number, which would be the last 6 of the VIN. In '68, a shipping order number is in those locations, and would not match the sequence number portion of the VIN.

VINs are not stamped on the body, motor, trans, or fender tag in '68 and earlier. This started in '69. The number you are thinking is a sequence number, which would be the last 6 of the VIN, is called a shipping order number.
Thanks for everybody's input. The stamp on the core support is 9 digits. Letter, #, letter, 6 #'s. Does that sound right for a 69? Are the first 3 in sequence with the VIN? I seem to recall hearing they were reversed.
Thanks to all.

I would say it's yours now drive it enjoy it and do what you want with it.

Some people do strange things to there cars. Like turn a 75 Duster into a 72 Demon. Bunch of nut jobs if you ask me. LOL That is a very nice car you got there. Have fun and injoy!

Sorry 375instroke but the sequence number and shipping order numder are two different things.
On a 68 your full vin will be on the dash tag,
broadcastsheet,Certicard,title,original window sticker,and sometime in the back of the owners manual.Your fender tag will have your parcel vin and your shipping order numbers.
Your shipping order numbers are found on the fender tag,broadcastsheet,radiator support,and trunk lip.
On a 68 big block engine a parcel vin is also found on the rear of the block at top near the bellhousing area.On small block I don't think there are any vin numbers.Transmissions have no vin numbers.

On a 69 your full vin can be found dash tag,fender tag,broadcastsheet,Certicard,title,Original window sticker,and sometimes in the back of your owner manual.
Your shipping order number can be found on the fender tag and broadcastsheet.
On a 69 a fulll vin can be found on your engine and transmision.Your radiator support and trunk lip parcel vin 8 numbers if I remember right
!st number will be the year,2nd number will be the plant the car was built at,and the last six will be the sequence numbers.

Hope this helps,Jim

You say the quarter marker holes were closed up? but harness in the trunk? are you sure the holes were there? if so, it looks like someone hung a 69 front clip on a 68 Dart... The hood would be the same regardless... but I can tell you from experience a 69 grille and bezels will not go on 68 fenders (without one hell of a fight LOL) also, do you have a pic with the hood open? the hood latch plate on the core support is differant from 68 to 69.. the latch itself is the same, and located in the same spot.. but the plate around it is differant to accomodate the grille... As I said, I speak from a small amount of experience.. when I got my 69 Dart the fenders were off of it... they were beyond fixing.. I found a set of 68 fenders and as far as I could tell, besides the marker hole they were the same... WRONG LOL ... turns out the headlight buckets are in a slightly differant spot.. and the very top of the fender where the grille and bezels mount is differant as well.. However, I have a VERY limited hot rod budget.. so it took some work, but the 68 fenders got me on the road... still on there today .. If you find 68 fenders and want to get rid of those 69's let me know ... lol..

I agree with the rest of the gang, I am not sure its a rare find as much as it is a car that got pieced together to cruise... build it how you want and have a blast!!

Just my two cents...

To add to Jims comments on the VIN/sequence #`s. My 68 340 has the code for the year and plant with the sequential number (last 6 digits of the VIN) on the rear of the engine block top lip and corresponding area on the transmission. The numbers thing can be a real pain and I`ll be the first to admit that I use the wrong term for numbers found on our cars all of the time. To help clarify some of the numbers, the sequence # is the first group of numbers on the build sheet followed by the shipping order # and finally the VIN number which combines the codes for the car line, body type, engine, year, plant and a 6 digit sequential number.

thanks for every ones input. I found a 9 digit stamp on the core support. is there any way of using that # to find more info? Is there a plant code "L"?

-
Back