Has anyone ported stock magnum heads and have the before and after flow numbers .???

-
Mahle is smarter than the others, they make an embossed metal gasket for the plate. Notable ..that held up fine.
So you think it's possible that reusing intake bolts on this engine would allow the manifold to move more and dilaminate the gasket n drag it clocked n upward? I made a quick short on it but it wasn't upon initial Discovery it was after discovering it and pulling the piece of gasket off of the two ports but you can clearly see if you look hard enough this impressions of where it moved and left, basically made X's out of the intake ports...I've never seen it happen or have had it happen to me at least.

Insane, I've never seen that before & the bolts are torque to yield on magnums so they could be stretched beyond sealing capable but I don't know, what kind of adhesive did you use to glue the gaskets down ? I wonder if fuel and heat or oil or any combination of them turned that sealer back to liquid and the stretched bolts allowed it to move. I would try new bolts, the felpro gaskets I have are a non stick embossed metal .

Who was it that documented 300 CFM out of an rhs head? Not 290's, but 300.
Iirr the rhs ootb from RHS was a hair behind on low mid lift compared to the ootb eq. The rhs had better peak ootb.
Other people did their own versions with their valve job and valves and those are the ones that do the 260-270 numbers.

That's what I was pointing to, the gasket material being different between Magnum engines and other engines in regards to stock replacement Beer Barrel intake manifold usage. If somebody was bolt in an air gap on that gasket probably wouldn't matter but with that big chunk of aluminum growing and arching like it seems to have done layered gaskets will not work. I only glued It to the Head not the intake and I used edelbrock gasketcinch which is for that type of sealing.
Okay, I see what you're saying. I agree

Even if the bolts loosened, dang.. the gasket drag by the intake tearing it past the bolts and re clocking. Anomalous.

Even if the bolts loosened, dang.. the gasket drag by the intake tearing it past the bolts and re clocking. Anomalous.
I'm going to take a look at both of my magnums just out of curiosity and see if they're doing anything weird.
Nope

Now what about this. Imagine having a backfire through that keger intake ...the size of it..lol the plenum is huuuge. Boom. That could have the potential stretch the port windows on that laminate paper gasket.
**** I believe it

Who was it that documented 300 CFM out of an rhs head? Not 290's, but 300.
Iirr the rhs ootb from RHS was a hair behind on low mid lift compared to the ootb eq. The rhs had better peak ootb.
Other people did their own versions with their valve job and valves and those are the ones that do the 260-270 numbers.
May have been @IQ52 . I think I remember him posting once that their experience on the Magnum style replacement heads showed the INDY/RHS deal was slightly better than they saw from the good EQ heads.

I hope I am not mis-quoting him. Nothing but respect for him.

Some of the reported flow curves come from less than what was found to be reputable people. I agree it is fun to compare the curves though. I take all the curves with a grain of salt. This is mostly from when I had questions between the two tests I had sone on my ported W5’s.

Yea a third test is silly but I think the best way to compare a head is the same head before and after on the same bench. This at least shows the improvement of the head on the same bench and operator. As it is said, don’t get so super caught up in the numbers but IMO, it’s better to understand what the head is doing overall.

For chits & giggles,
(some of you are going to roll your eyes on this one)
Charlie Sevideo and I were BSing around and it ended with me being over my as cast and ported sets of W5 heads. Same casting, tested both, interesting results from the as cast head.

This video I made will be redone as I don’t like the quality of the rushed video. Take it for what it’s worth. It’ll be redone later. It needs to be redone.

Last edited:
Just found this,
On u tube "360 magnum head porting
(Intake ports) "
The guy worked a set of stock replacement magnum heads from Jegs to 259 CFM with a competition valve job only, before he started porting them !!
Worth a look

Just found this,
On u tube "360 magnum head porting
(Intake ports) "
The guy worked a set of stock replacement magnum heads from Jegs to 259 CFM with a competition valve job only, before he started porting them !!
Worth a look
And this is how it begins ...misinformation...with somebody whose eyes do not know what they're looking at.
That head has chamber work all around the intake valve and has the guides mildly profiled in a subtle way that narrowed them up not made them round and aerodynamic... AKA if you only recognize porting as to look a certain way.. you wouldn't know what you were looking at. Nothing personal Brooks.. but if I don't slam the hammer...it goes on as fact when it is indeed a mistake.
They also backcut the valves. I don't backcut. I've seen a tendency of reversion on Street stuff with big cams and when I stopped doing it that went away

Screenshot_20230607-083654_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230607-083637_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230607-083624_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in no way saying this is a good or bad thing, strictly, oh, look at what I found is this accurate or helpful or what ?. I absolutely do not know enough to say yeah this is great or this is crap. I'm in research mode to select some heads, that's all. I posted here in a questioning mode, looking for all the info I can get on this.
Thanks

But the problem is you posted, almost exalted, the amount of work done and the amount of cfm obtained as if magical and EZ without disclaimer. A disclaimer afterwards is good but seen as an afterthought and possibly covering up.

I didn’t watch the video, but are they actually an OEM head?

I'm in no way saying this is a good or bad thing, strictly, oh, look at what I found is this accurate or helpful or what ?. I absolutely do not know enough to say yeah this is great or this is crap. I'm in research mode to select some heads, that's all. I posted here in a questioning mode, looking for all the info I can get on this.
Thanks
You'd do better if you presented it that way. You kinda misrepresented it lol..and it doesn't read like a question. Glad you're researching and learning. You just learned those castings need x amount of work to be good. Now thats two accounts of the same requirements. That's soild useable information that you have and can apply yourself and make more power.
I too have seen that video sometime ago and complimented the work...as I know that took a min to do on that head.

Last edited:
But the problem is you posted, almost exalted, the amount of work done and the amount of cfm obtained as if magical and EZ without disclaimer. A disclaimer afterwards is good but seen as an afterthought and possibly covering up.

I didn’t watch the video, but are they actually an OEM head?
You just CANT resist making negative comments, can you ??

You just CANT resist making negative comments, can you ??
Wasn’t meant to be negative. It’s how you perceive the written words. Perhaps you injected feelings or an attitude attitude into the words.

LMAO! “Nice try?” No trying here! It is what it is and if you don’t like it block me. I have nothing else to say except what I did. I can’t help you taking what I wrote as how you did. If I meant to be offensive, you’d surely know it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have no such aspirations.

Then you wrote “Weak.” LMAO! Nothing weak in being honest.
Perhaps, just perhaps, you’re a snowflake? Melting under normal talk. No worries, I’ll put on my gloves and speak to you like a baby so you don’t get your feelings hurt.

Is that acceptable for you? Let me know!

-
Back