Has anyone ported stock magnum heads and have the before and after flow numbers .???

-
IMO, It’s ether the replacement cast iron head or the Edelbrock head if you want to stay with the Magnum set up style.

Honestly, for the street, the OEM head and the cast iron replacement is fine. Ether run the OEM head stock or upgrade to the replacement head and run that as is or ported to suite your target goal. The Edelbrock head also falls in with the aftermarket iron head. Same deal, as is or ported. You can get pretty far with the chink or Edelbrock head on the street or make a good bracket car with them.

Replicarracer43 stated 270 cfm @ .500 lift. That can make for a real good street car, no doubt. It would even do well in a bracket racer set up.

After that, forgeddahboutit…. Move to a more serious LA head.

@Brooks James , There's a kid on YouTube I warned him about the factory magnum heads, he didn't wanna hear about them cracking, he put a bunch of time & money into something that was probably already junk. At my work there's probably 30+ pairs to be welded and 1 single good head lol, they are junk !
If you even think about putting 2k into factory magnum heads, you might as well by me a flight from Washington to Florida so I can dump all your chardonnay down the sink lol.
Get some aftermarket heads, aluminum heads, small block **** is heavy, heavier than big block cast iron heads.

What is the target power level?
540 hp, so..IIRC the basic calculation would Be 270 CFM x2 = capability of 540 hp

540 hp, so..IIRC the basic calculation would Be 270 CFM x2 = capability of 540 hp
Flow numbers are exactly that a "capable of number "
I'm sure it's possible to get 540 from the magnum but I wouldn't use cast iron mag heads for your quest.
I don't pay much attention to magnum builds to know how many people have that sorta number but I imagine there's easier ways to get there, not to poop on your parade.

I ported my engine quest heads on my Dakota r/t added a comp roller, good valve springs, ported the kegger intake, blended the throttle body and did a few other things.
The magnum really responded well to that stuff without tuning the factory computer.
What do you want to do with your car ?

I ported my engine quest heads on my Dakota r/t added a comp roller, good valve springs, ported the kegger intake, blended the throttle body and did a few other things.
The magnum really responded well to that stuff without tuning the factory computer.
What do you want to do with your car ?
What intake gaskets did you use and have you ever pulled the intake off to see what they did.

What intake gaskets did you use and have you ever pulled the intake off to see what they did.
I believe I used felpro intake gaskets (this was a few years ago) for the most part i opened up the pinch as far as I dare, I opened the bowls up to 90 ish %, I did make a long vain on the roof but probably went a bit to high.
In the intake I raised the runners up 3 inches from the bottom of the sealed plate, knocked out the center divider and blended the relocated runners. There's a ton of plenum volume in that manifold. Now that I have access to machine tools I might do something stupid and put 3 2bbl throttle bodies on it. ( Probably won't run but will look awesome).

****, I haven't had that happen and don't think I've ever seen that happen. That's crazy, I have always replaced those intake bolts on magnums.
But I believe it because the dumb plates under the kegger always seem to fail.

@MOPAROFFICIAL i wonder if your intake manifold theory has something to do with the 4 corner intake bolts on the beer keg being broken. I’ve seen more than a few with bolts broken off flush with the head.

@MOPAROFFICIAL i wonder if your intake manifold theory has something to do with the 4 corner intake bolts on the beer keg being broken. I’ve seen more than a few with bolts broken off flush with the head.
I know those bolts seem to corrode ..the inside end bolts. Like 1/3 through the bolt. Possible it's the cheaper material those intake bolts are made out of in comparison to a stretch style head bolt, as well as its possible the amount of intake movement allows some seepage.

Magnum intake bolts remind me of ford intake bolts which are a nightmare compared to LA bolts on a flowbench lining everything up by yourself.

I mean let's explore ..lol.. ever seen an engine with so much Blow by that it could blow out an intake gasket like that..with a working PCV..and passing smog with flying colors...and not blowing out the pan gasket front or rear seal if anything. Plugs look great, I scoped the bores with camera even...looks great and you see hatch still at 318k
It's got to have something to do with that massive Aluminum Intake and a specific gasket material needed. But I'm no expert.. only at trying to avoid this happening again do I want to try and be.
The only time I’ve seen something like that is lifting a head on boosted LS stuff. Big hp, big boost, lifts the head kills the head gasket and pushes out the O rings on the intake. The intake gasket being very low on the list of concern when that happens. Obviously much different than what you’re dealing with.

Heres what's up. If you port some mag heads..just magnaflux them1st. Dont go crazy on them , follow 63's thread since is directly on those factory castings. Should cost more than 800 bucks with machining and your own port work.
If you buy mag heads....
Unless you have good hand control...and can do chamber work ...just buy the eq still offered and pay a shop to do the seat work for a 2.02...and ask for a top cut to clear the ledge around the valve The SM requires chamber work, more when going with a bigger valve and has a lot of core shift. The eq available now does not need near the amount of work a speed master head does. There is no 270 CFM with just a valve job and bowl sizing with a Speedmaster head. If you only did that with one of those ... it would peak okay'ish but have no balls under the peak.

It's a pretty broad brush to paint with. Depends on the ports design. You can have a port that works excellent and then open up that pinch as big as you can and watch it lose all of its low lift velocity which is airflow...as with a magnum head.
If it didn't matter in that head they would have had the 308 pushrod holes and not that smaller Magnum pinch. People need to be more specific. Specifics come with understanding. You can lead somebody into making a big hole and believing that it's all about making big holes. The Magnum head is 150 CC's and it's hard to get it much bigger than 160 to 165cc. That's why this **** gets confusing because you'll have people tell you this.. tell you that ...and then tell you it's about the quality of air at the same time... not necessarily the amount of air. .. then show you a bunch of power on a Dyno with a head that falls off and doesn't have that great a quality of air. One gathers that while important..its not as important as some say it is. Not to veer off ..but Eric weingartner did a video where he turns the test pressure way up and gets the port to go turbulent sooner expressing its simulation to a running engine .... not quite. Now that leads a lot of people to believe that if you don't run an absolutely High test pressure 28-40" the entire time testing that you will not have accurate info... and while that might be partially true...neither is flowbench to begin with.
Go watch the video with the camera inside the intake manifold where the pulses are yanking back and forth ...that's not a steady flow depression is it.

All of this stuff is somewhat speculatory but it's what we use to try and measure what we're doing. So saying this or that doesn't matter and attaching nothing of specifics to it isn't very helpful.
Thanks for mentioning my thread..
It seems internet forums has just as short of a memory as an old magazine 40 years ago..
No matter how much work you put into it. Few actually do any research to summarily answer their own questions.
As far as Weingartner's experiment, (something I/we tried 30 yrs ago) I/we concluded this seemingly anomalous occurrence was a function of the radius inlet being used on the head while testing.
The following is NOT intended to poke anyone's eye!

I remember a huge internet blow-up over this several years ago. That is: formed clay, or a fixed radius for testing. I remember one individual who even bragged of spending hours getting the clay shaped 'just right'.
I'll cut to the chase. PUT THE DAG GUM MANIFOLD ON IT.
There comes a time, after thousands of flow tests, we realize we are kidding ourselves if we leave the intake manifold out of the equation.
To support your statement, in reference to pushrod pinch... I did a set of 308 castings for a Super Stock application with a 1.88 valve. It flowed 258cfm. This is without exceeding the 162cc rule the NHRA for the application.
A year later, I did another set, only with a 2.02(big valve 340). Still with the port cc limit of 162.
While the low lift numbers were better, due to the increased seat area, the total flow numbers were the same.
BTW the same fixed entry was used for both heads.
A curious thing happened. I simply placed my hand flat under the bottom of the entry and the flow shot up to 265 cfm.
If not for this curious and maybe even frivolous move, we might not have changed manifolds.
In the end, the clay shapers out there kinda got it right, but to what end?
Again, put the manifold on it, unless you're only interested in half of the answer.

Doing exactly that right now.

IMG_0648.png

Eq's came stock on 5.9's?
:poke:

Boy I wish they did though..lol
Maybe Brian has some old numbers from way back before the rhs he could share. That'd be cool to see what he got. Long time ago Brian was the one that showed me the hand/mic flat to the port trick. It was a time later after testing and messing around with the pinch and this and that and the flat hand deal that I realized when I saw 291cfm on one port of my j heads..it was because I stood too close to the entrance. .. that was when I figured out I didn't have to use a hand or a ruler or mic flat in front of it, though its easier ...I could simply stand a little too close and effect either the speed or speed and direction the drafted air entering path of the moving air into the radius. I've always wanted to get two colors of smoke to introduce in this type of situation and watch what each does from top and bottom of the radius.
Varying airspeeds are just like fleeing crowds of people for an emergency exit...some people move too slow and get ran over and in the end the total number of people do not make it to the other side
The EQs were stock replacement heads werent they ? Did they flow that much better ?

As I remember, their OOTB state was pretty good. Better than OEM. However, not a huge gain margin, their ability to be ported out was pretty much what I’d call outstanding for a “Stock Replacement” cylinder head. The only better head in the same category was the MoPar Magnum R/T head. Capable of 300 cfm.

The EQs were stock replacement heads werent they ? Did they flow that much better ?
That's how they were advertised, for sure.
Port and chamber shape were OEM magnum only with larger ports. By how much, I don't recall.
I do remember however, that dog leg at the bottom of the turn wall enabled some handsome flow numbers in the mid lifts.
The RHSs were virtually identical. I think they went 272 cfm with basic bowl work and a proper valve job.
I'll have to see if I can find the EQ flow tests..

-
Back