Has anyone thought of trying this ???

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Ok guys hear me out before you think Im totally nuts.

We recently took the heater and defroster out of the Duster. Nothing left under the dash at all.

Would this work for make shift defroster? I was thinking of using a 400 watt power inverter and a low wattage hair dryer hooked up to the vent tubes

I know it sounds pretty lame but would it work ?

Bob

I don`t see why not, but your problem will probably be finding a hair dryer that won`t pop the circuit breaker on your power inverter. The hair dryer my girlfriend has is about 2000 watts, blows like a category 5 hurricane, and will dim the lights in the house. LOL!

That is all good in theory, but like Longgone mentioned, you might need around a 1200 watt inverter and maybe a small travel hair dryer around 900 watts should work for you.
I must say that is a good idea:cheers:

She's a keeper!!!!
I don`t see why not, but your problem will probably be finding a hair dryer that won`t pop the circuit breaker on your power inverter. The hair dryer my girlfriend has is about 2000 watts, blows like a category 5 hurricane, and will dim the lights in the house. LOL!

Think I'd just mount an AC outlet on the dash and use the hair dryer as a hand held unit. Gives the passenger something to do to earn the ride and you don't have to go through all the contortions needed to mount it and hook it up to the dash vents. :toothy10:

maby a small space heater or a heat gun. i am kinda suprised they havent made an electric heater to do just this yet cuz it would be nice for a track car that is driven on the streets to lol

why couldn't you take the blower motor build a box around it and mount inside the dash with the two tubes coming out. I would think that would be lighter then a hair dryer and power inverter. It also pushes a lot of air with the squirrel fan. just a thought

And to reply to the original question.

Don't they make travel hair dryers that plug into a vehicle cigarette lighter? if so,then you could get passed an inverter all togeather!

I would the rip the dryer apart and undo the wiring to the on/off,low/med/high switch which ever it may have and I would solder the wires needed and run them to a dash mounted toggle switch so you dont have to reach under the dash every time to turn on your "defroster" lol.

Great idea though, go with it.

They make small 12v electric car heaters that can be attached with velcro to the dash. They plug into the cigarette lighter and are basically the same thing as a hair dryer. Looks like your on the west coast, why not try one of those?

They make small 12v electric car heaters that can be attached with velcro to the dash. They plug into the cigarette lighter and are basically the same thing as a hair dryer. Looks like your on the west coast, why not try one of those?

That was my thinking. You can pick 'em up at just about any parts store for around $20.

63dartmans link has a plug in hair dryer for the car. Now that ISA funny and wull work. Skip the inverter and go right to defrost with the hair dryer for the car. Ha ha ha ha, how sweet it is.

On a less of a hillbilly fix (No isult ment) there is a company called Mohave - Mohavie or something like that that makes systems for under the dash.

That was my original plan to put a 12 volt electrical heater and defroster in it but could not find one on line .thats why i came up with this idea. I will try searching a little more.

Thanks guys Bob

Flex-a-lite has a couple of products. They make a Mojave heater that uses the cars cooling system and an electric hair dryer style heater.

After further research on this Idea I found several companies that make exactly what i was trying to do. So I take back this whole post unless I want to market the red neck heater defroster unit using the converter and hair dryer . Ha- Ha

Bob

After further research on this Idea I found several companies that make exactly what i was trying to do. So I take back this whole post unless I want to market the red neck heater defroster unit using the converter and hair dryer . Ha- Ha

Bob

post some links of what you've found. i may be interested in doing this

Bob

The red neck way is to pull your sleeve over your hand and start wiping.

the "redneck" way

tifi-windshielddefroster.jpg

-
Back