have no idea what he gave me

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I talked to a buddy of mine about the Dart Sport we are putting together and he told me he had a carb for this 360 engine I have. I told him I wanted to go with a 650 CFM. This is what he gave me to throw on it. It is a Holley with a list # of 3918. I do not like a Holley and have stated that many times on here and I don't know a damn thing about this carb. This guy has Mopar's coming out his ***. I mean collector cars. He has several 68 Roadrunners that are cherry. A 70 GTX, Superbird and several more. This carb supposedly came off of a 68 Roadrunner 4 sp. car. I tried running the list # and it said it was OEM on a 68 440 Chrysler. It has the throttle hook up for a 4 speed on it. Is this gonna work on my 360 engine. I don't even know how to hook it up. I will be the first to tell you guys I am not a carb. guy. He told me that if I wanted this to slip him $50.00 the next time I saw him or just give it back. can anyone tell me if this is a 650. somewhere it said it was a 750CFM. I was ready to buy an Eddy Thunder series to put on it. any info would be greatly appreciated. He told me that this would be a great # matching carb. for someone. I don't think it is for me.

pics of the carb,

Attachments

• DSC04407 (Copy).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC04408 (Copy).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC04409 (Copy).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC04410 (Copy).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 475
You can use it for automatics by changing the throtle bracket screw and nut. The one shown is for a standard shift

I know it is standard. is it a 650 or 750 or what. I googled it and one site said it was a 650 and the one under it said it was a 750. I guess I will just slap it on and if I don't like it, which I prolly wont, I will sell it.

Did a little digging around on Google and got you this:

I did some research on the carb itself. It’s a Holley 4160 list # 3918 date code 3 2 8 which is March 2nd 1968. Its size is 650 cfm. I contacted the Holley website with the list number (printed on the drivers side of the air horn) and they got back to me a day later. Great service. They even gave me the rebuild kit part #. Holley also told me the carb was originally on a 68 Chrysler 440 engine, which makes sense given the date code.

3918-1A 68 440 CHRYSLER
3918-2AAS 68 440 CHRYSLER
3918-3AAS 68 440 CHRYSLER
3918A 68 440 CHRYSLER

So, it came off of a 440 and should be a 650. If you need further information, I'd give Holley a call.

I guess I will just slap it on and if I don't like it, which I prolly wont, I will sell it.

Pesimism like that does not go well when working on old cars,

with that attitude you might as well chuck that carb in the trash now and spend $500 for a new carb that you like so you can save time:-({|=

And probably is a word and "Prolly" is not :violent1:

Bill, I doubt that carb is for you, especially knowing you prefer Carter/Eddy.

Nothing really wrong with the size, 600/650, depending on what Mopar or Holley rated it as. I believe it was used on 68' 440/350hp engines used mostly in "C" bodies. The Mopar part# should be 2863836, if someone may be interested in it.

One other consideration is, if you want the choke to function normally, you'll need to use a intake that accepts a choke stove.

One other note about post #1......IIRC, a 440 was not offered in 68' RR's. Only the 383 & Hemi. And I don't believe a Holley was on any 383 until 70/71.

Good Luck, maybe you'll run across a decent used Eddy carb soon with a electric choke.

well Rick, it is like this. I am going to put it on and hook it up and if it doesn't do what I would like it to, I will pull it off and carry it back to him, thank him and go buy me an Eddy. Maybe it is just me BUT I have never owned a Holley that I liked. I have never had a problem with an Eddy I have owned. Maybe this one will make me a believer. Either believe in them or make me believe I will never own another one. The next few days will tell the tail.

Thanks GEO for the lesson in grammer. And that is not attitude my man. That is just stating a fact. If you have spent any amount of time in any chat room, prolly is a word.

well Rick, it is like this. I am going to put it on and hook it up and if it doesn't do what I would like it to, I will pull it off and carry it back to him, thank him and go buy me an Eddy. Maybe it is just me BUT I have never owned a Holley that I liked. I have never had a problem with an Eddy I have owned. Maybe this one will make me a believer. Either believe in them or make me believe I will never own another one. The next few days will tell the tail.

I understand. I doubt that one will change your mind :smile:. Even though I've been around Holley's most of the time, i like the AVS style carbs i've messed with a lot. The one's I've been around have always run well.

that is not attitude my man. .

Dammit, TD, it IS attitude, I can "hear" it through this entire thread. You don't like Holleys, never have, never will, and you are being dragged kicking and screaming home with one. Do yourself a favor. Go find yourself an Ed so you can be happy.

I've run just about every carb there is. I have my own attitudes about certain series of certain types, but I would never try and tell someone to "do" this or that. But in this case you "sound" incredibly unhappy about the prospect.

I will put a 35 yr old carb on my engine...without rebuilding..and went it does not work...I will call it a POS.>>>>LOL>>>LOL

Tony, I am happy about the prospect of having that carb on my sons car. I am sooooooooo happy I could just chit. ( Excuse me Geo, I misspelled that on purpose). I hope it works well. I may go even as far as putting a kit in it to make it work. That is how stubborn I am to make stuff work. BUT. like I said. in the past, I have never had a Holley work for me that I can remember and I have never had an Eddy give me problems. either way this turd will be running right soon. I do want to thank you guys again for all the help I have gotten on here. It means a lot.

Bill , I understand your apprehensions with the holleys. I will tell you ahead of time when they sit without gas and collect dirt , the gaskets and o rings amongst other parts dry out , go bad and leak, keep a fire extinguisher handy. I like them , I run them but I have had a few that I hated and could never get to run right. I have found that every single one I have messed with has had its own personality. but when they run, they got balls. I have yet to get one and expected it to run even brand new. the one you have pictured looks have been sitting a long time without fuel in it, it may work , it may not , but expect a fuel leak lol. make sure the primaries open all the way before you tighten it down, I have watched guys crack the bolt flanges because they didn't double check that it actually worked with their intake bore.

I appreciate the info Lance. I will make sure I have a fire extinguisher handy and give it a shot this weekend. I used to have a Holley on my Duster when I first put it together and one day I tried to start it to go to the doctor and the damn thing coughed and it caught fire and it burned the whole top of the engine before I could get it out. I had to replace the carb, intake wiring and hood. I have had no use for them since then. But I will keep this in mind and thanks. Bill

I appreciate the info Lance. I will make sure I have a fire extinguisher handy and give it a shot this weekend. I used to have a Holley on my Duster when I first put it together and one day I tried to start it to go to the doctor and the damn thing coughed and it caught fire and it burned the whole top of the engine before I could get it out. I had to replace the carb, intake wiring and hood. I have had no use for them since then. But I will keep this in mind and thanks. Bill
LOL yes ,most importantly a flame arrestor ! I have lit a few up myself

-
Back