Have you ever turned down an offer for you car that was too good to refuse?

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
We are putting the finishing touches on my 69 Dart project now. Today, a guy walked into the shop where we are finishing the work. He is having a custom mid-70's Chevy pickup built at the same shop (a very high dollar build). On the spot, he offered me what I would consider an unbelievable amount of money for my car, or at least more than I actually have in this build, which is quite a bit.

I have always been told that every car is for sale for the right price, and that you never get the money back that you put into a custom build. And today, that second point was proved false. Yet, I told the guy that I don't "think" I want to sell it because I have too much of my own blood, sweat and tears in the car to just turn it loose before I even get to sit behind the wheel. He told me to go ahead and drive it for a few days and consider the offer. I am wondering if I am crazy for not wanting to let the car go given the amount of money the guy is willing to pay?! I started this project thinking this was never going to be my dream car, and yet I, and the guys that have helped move this along, have turned this into something very special to me.

Yep, I turned down $20k for my 64 Belvedere back in the 90's, when $20k was a lot for a car!

Do what you feel is right for you, it's your car, enjoy it as you see fit!!

I would say no because if it was too good to refuse I would have taken it. every car i have had and currently own are always for sale

Do what you feel is right for you, it's your car, enjoy it as you see fit!!

I appreciate the sentiment. Over the course of this project, I have grown to love this car. That is why it has some of my own touches rather than just basically back to stock. But the question is can my love for this car be bought?

I would say no because if it was too good to refuse I would have taken it. every car i have had and currently own are always for sale

I guess I would define too good to refuse as "more money that it cost me to complete this entire project" (which is substantial). And yet, I am still torn because I am attached to this car now, even with zero history with this specific car.

I sold my 66 charger for "the right price" :lol: Might have gotten more for it but.....

there are a couple Ive sold for less than I should have and still regret. I'd be lying if I said i hadn't gotten attached to a couple along the way that became sentimental, and ended up selling them out of circumstance. I have a car now that I'm actually attached to and I would probably sell for the right price but it would have to cover the man hours I have in it plus the value of the car lol.

I'm still playing with my '66 Valiant 2 door post. I have been approached maybe a half a dozen times, because I drive it every day that it's runable. It's got a nice newly built 340, 3500 stall, 904, 8 3/4 with either 3.23's, 3.91's or 4.86's, depending on use. I've been working on this thing ever since I pulled it back out of my garage after 12 years of sitting, probably 4 years ago. It's my "last hurrah". I want to get this thing in the 10's, and will work on it until it does. It's not for sale...........period. I'm too old to start on another one. The '66 is the only year early Valiant I haven't owned. It stays.

Russ.

I was offered 7K for my '65 many years ago, I had less than 1/2 of that into it. I said no way and on the way home I lost a piston. Ha, hows that for timing.

[QUOTE="1969VADart, post: 1971365582, member: 31773 But the question is can my love for this car be bought?[/QUOTE]

I think you already answered that question.

[QUOTE="1969VADart, post: 1971365582, member: 31773 But the question is can my love for this car be bought?

I think you already answered that question.[/QUOTE]
seven yrs. ago, I was pretty gung ho on the fish, now I`m limping from a 4 wheeler wreck, and getting ready to turn 70. at this point in my life I would sell it, but then what would I do ?

Finish it. Drive it for a month. Sell it for that high offer that you'll probably never get elsewhere. Find another one to build.

I sold a 69 Coronet roller that i was only half done cloning into a Super Bee for 2x what I had in it. A week later i picked up a 68 B'cuda ragtop project for a small portion of that money. Could have finished the 'net a lot easier than the 68, but the prices were right on both from my end.

Easier said then done on a finished car. This past Spring a the Mason Dixon show, this guy came by looking at my 69 Fury ragtop several times. Each time he got deeper I to the details and history of the car, eventually asking if it was for sale if the offer was right. Told him I never really thought about it and I never gave any indication if there was a right offer that I would take for it. The car will probably need to be redone again before I would sell it. But then avain, sometimes stupid crazy money talks. How's that for being on a fence?

Money is made "on the buy" not the sell.

Cost and value are NOT the same thing.

Three weeks after I bought my 73 54,000 original mile Satellite I was offered almost double what I paid.

Had that offer come a year later I might have taken it, but I hadn't really had a chance to enjoy it yet.

I have to tell ya, I sold a lot of mopars in the past. There is only one that I regret selling. Most of them I sold because of financial reasons. Only one I bought intent of reselling & it was an E body. I lost my *** on that one. If you love the car DONT sell it.

Of course, if you refuse it, it wasn't "too good to refuse".

i never get attached and if the right offer is there it's gone!
If you check classic cars for sale just in Ontario there are usually about 8,000
listings....there are thousands and thousands of these cars around now.
..If you base your decisions on emotion it almost al;ways guarantees failure!

Of course, if you refuse it, it wasn't "too good to refuse".

Point taken, but I don't entirely agree because there is more to it than just the value of the sale. I think it just never occurred to me that someone would jump at the opportunity. Of course, this guy is an opportunist that did not have to go through the heartache to build this car, and now can just plop down the money and drive away with it.

i never get attached and if the right offer is there it's gone!
..If you base your decisions on emotion it almost al;ways guarantees failure!

Understand your point, but my emotions say don't sell it. And if I don't, I won't consider that a failure. Maybe a lost opportunity, but at least I will be riding in style.

I wish I could get an offer for at least what I have in mine. If I had an offer that was for what I have in it or above I would be looking at the tail lights and buy another car for less money.

Is it the car you've always wanted and had to have?

I always had loved the 05-07 Magnums when Dodge introduced them and finally got one late 2014. It was one of my dream cars as sad as that is to say. lol The styling is great, they handle pretty darned good, and my R/T 4 door just waxed a 09-newer Challenger R/T this morning on the way home from work!! lol

I absolutely love the car and currently don't foresee ever selling it. Even the front end is still tight after putting 20,000 Colorado crappy road miles on it. Love everything about the car.

I think if you get the feeling of regret just thinking about selling it then it's safe to say you should keep it. Wait until you're ready to sell it. Not when the money is ready. Only then will you be truly satisfied and settled with the outcome if you do decide to let it go.

Wait until you're ready to sell it. Not when the money is ready. Only then will you be truly satisfied and settled with the outcome if you do decide to let it go.

I like your point about not selling it when the money is ready. Took it for its first test drive late last week. Needless to say, that was enough to convince me that I am not ready to sell it now, even though the offer is a great one. I never got into this project to make money. I decided I wanted something that will get people's attention. A dozen people honking the horn on a two mile drive and three different people stopping at the gas station to ask about it convinced me that I want to keep the car, for now.

"an offer too good to refuse" suggests it's way more than the car is worth!
take the money..find a better car at at or below market value and enjoy
your profits.
...business 1.1

"an offer too good to refuse" suggests it's way more than the car is worth!
take the money..find a better car at at or below market value and enjoy
your profits.
...business 1.1

This is very close to the point for me. This is why the decision is tougher because of the offer. But I may let it ride and see if I change my mind.

None of my cars are for sale. I've had one or like it since I was 19. Turn down offers all the time.

-
Back