Haven't had a cigarette in a week. By choice even.

-
I "quit" for the last time about 20 years ago. I've maybe smoked 10 cigarettes since then, only when somebody offered me one. None that I can remember in the last ten or more years. I still find myself wanting one once in a while, although I can't imagine why. I've just found that if I don't buy them I don't smoke them. Stay with it & you'll make it.

good for you and good luck just think of the money you will save. not to mention how much better you will feel in the end

Keep it up! You can do it! I have been tobacco free since new years of last year.

Im right there with ya i have been a smoker for the last 18 yrs of my life i quit new years day last saturday and boy going cold turkey is a beiotch!!!!
It's a very hard habit to break.

Keep figthing the urg and make all of us proud of you. Win the battle of wills.

Just remember, the urge to have a cigarette will go away whether you have one or not. Just remember this phrase and it will help. toolmanmike

I quit 1 year and 8 months ago after smoking for 40 or so years. I look back and think of how stupid I was and all the $ I spent. I could have spent it on better things for the family. You have to break the old routines that lead to having a cigarette and think of how with the passing of time you will reduce the chances of GIVING YOURSELF CANCER. Don't become a statistic. Do all you can to stop that dangerous, expensive habit. Go on line for all the help you can get. I'm pulling for you. Believe that, I'm not kidding!

I am an Xsmoker as of July 4, 1991. THINK of all the $$$ you will save.

If you need "help" ...try a fat rubber-band on the wrist.

4 years for me. I save over 350.00 a month and feel 100% better. You just got to really want to quit. Helps if your a bit of a cheap skate lol

I too quit New Years eve, AGAIN. I quit last New Years and was smoke frree till Sept. 15 When I had fight with the wife. Dumb eh? So I had to quit again this year! I know what your going through! Forgot to mention, been smoking for 36 years!

SuperT you are a saint for dealing with me today. This would have been my 20th year as a smoker sadly that's more then half my life and I'll tell you this now I feel like I'm 50 not 34.

Was it the dollar a pack increase in IL that also gave you a little nudge?
Honestly no I didn't even consider the cost of those damn things I paid whatever they cost no questions asked. I know this I'll manage to save myself 2000 bucks this year if I can stay away.

I'm also cutting the energy drinks out so between the smokes and the redbulls I'll put 3832.00 back into my pocket this year.

Congrats John, Im looking at my last cigarette in the ashtray right now. I have quit quite a few times before, sometimes for as long as 1 1/2 years. The kicker is that I enjoy it. Ya I hate the coughing, out of breath, tight chest etc. But I honestly enjoy a cigarette. What helped me in the past, besides champix and other meds was tooth picks, gum and water. Drank a ton of water, I buy gum by the frickin truck load!!LOL Especially as a smoker I chew gum. Try to keep the bad breath down. This may sound a little goofy, but what about a quit smoking thread for everyone?? Lord knows there are lots of members on here that wanna quit. I know that I am just as addicted to FABO as I am nicotine, so some positive reinforcement would help people. Just a thought. Oh and good luck, hang in there!!

Hey 4 speed rag if you search there was a thread on quitting smoking. I am not sure but I think MeMike started it.

Quit 7 months ago. Still get the urge from time to time but know that if I have one then I'll be right back where I started. Kinda like an alcoholic!

Good for you johnparts. Plus you won't smell like an ashtray and you will be able to smell a smoker a mile away. I have been told food taste better also after you stop. I was forunate to get sick as a dog at 13 years old from smoking a pack of Marlboros behind the high school one friday night. I ralphed the whole weekend.
Heres something from the Duke.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd5AFMy3XL4&feature=related"]YouTube - John Wayne commercial foe Cancer 1970s[/ame]

Good for you!! There is gonna be some rough times, Im trying to quit with no success yet.....I hate the fact of getting up in the morning and feeling like $hit, but the 1st thing I grab is nicotine and caffeine!! I have quit before and will again. Just gotta get into the proper mental frame of mind!!

You hit the nail on the head here 4spdragtop :cheers:
You have got to say NO and convince your mind that this is nothing but a worldly habit...
Allot of people sure did and are getting rich off of us and it's time to put it in your mind and be proud that you made this decision to quit this nasty expensive habit. I am going days at a time with out one and fell off the wagon REAL Bad when Treva and I put on our first family reunion for me and my brothers
Hot showers and honey and fruit and fabo will get me back on track.

Let's do it

I've only tried it once and that was enough for me. Not sure how people force themselves past the nastiness of it to get addicted.

I think the best advice is to deal with it psychologically. Maybe think of it in terms like here is this multi billion dollar company who's sole purpose is to get you addicted to these things for your entire life. They don't care whether you die or not as long as you line their fat pockets with your hard earned $$$ for the rest of your life. They don't care if you never grow old enough to see your kids get married or get the chance to play with your grandchildren. They just want your money and whether you die or not doesn't matter to them because they know if you smoke, your kids will have a better chance of smoking and thats just more money for them.

Don't make it easy on them by trying to justify why you can't quit or don't want to quit.

Keep it up johnparts... been there, done that and though it can be difficult it is an attainable goal. Best wishes to you!! You can do it!

-
Back