HDK Installation and Driving Experiences

-

Old Man Mopar

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
Please post any of your HDK installation and driving experiences here. Thank you.

First up, Robert Gilchrist just reported in on the very first early A style HDK to hit the road.

Robert sent the following to Denny and asked that it be included in the comments:

"Man I've owned this Valiant for longer than I can really put into perspective. I have driven it with stock, Polly urethane stock and Bobs Profab T-Bar Eliminator race stuff - while racing and on the street. My son has a 68 Dart with a Magnum Force front setup (not throwing stones but it took a lot of slotting holes - poking - prodding- prying - stretching - cussing and 2 days in the shop to get her all on !) .

I can't speak to the exact weight savings versus a dead stock early A front suspension and brakes but I can say that my meat hook scale says I saved 33 pounds over the suspension, steering and brakes that I had. The roomy feel created by getting rid of the steering box and linkage is amazing.

My engine was out for a refresh so it eased my test fit time. My son and I pulled the old stuff, did some cleaning , Installed the HDK system, fab'd up our intermediate shaft to the rack (while using a mock up LA in place) set her on the ground and adjusted it to determine ride height and correct shock we would want. Then we proceeded to pull it all back apart for my son to take parts to work to powder coat. ALL done in an over night 11 hour thrash period. Lotta beer and coffee. YEAH I KNOW. STRANGE COMBO ! Had to sober up before work. Hahaha

All that being said, everything bolted right in better than a Hot Rodder should ever expect. After getting the parts back from coating - we reassembled it all and back on the Vali it went. Then the test drive. It rides, drives, turns & stops like it has been in the gym and hitting steroids on a regular basis. Modern. Fresh. In an odd kinda way it feels like I am part of the car while driving it instead of climbing on a pissed of horse and trying to get it to do what you want it to.

At this moment I'm still a little in disbelief. Ease of install A+ !! Transformation to a more enjoyable modern reacting and feeling car A+++! The price ?? Worth every penny and more.

If you can't tell. I'm pretty damn satisfied Sir. Lets go burn some rubber!

I have a HDK headed my way! I do have a question about the steering shaft. Does anyone run a support bearing around the shaft between the column and the steering rack? Does anyone have detailed pictures of how they modded the column to fit? I have a few ideas how to do mine but would like to see what everyone else is doing.

I have a HDK headed my way! I do have a question about the steering shaft. Does anyone run a support bearing around the shaft between the column and the steering rack? Does anyone have detailed pictures of how they modded the column to fit? I have a few ideas how to do mine but would like to see what everyone else is doing.

No support needed I cut my column rod off just above the bottom pin and put it in a mill to make it fit a DD joint I'll be working on the car tonight and will try to take pictures

only problem I had was determining what ride height I wanted (due manily to the rear height) and the spring pound rate I should be able to get the Valiant out this weekend for some testing but the one thing I noticed is how easy it turns with the manual rack and pinion and a big block

Robert Gilchrist just reported in on the very first early A style HDK to hit the road.

"It rides, drives, turns & stops like it has been in the gym and hitting steroids on a regular basis.
Modern. Fresh. In an odd kinda way it feels like I am part of the car while driving it instead of
climbing on a pissed of horse and trying to get it to do what you want it to."

"At this moment I'm still a little in disbelief. Ease of install A+ !! Transformation to a more
enjoyable modern reacting and feeling car A+++! The price ?? Worth every penny and more."
Sounds like the benefits I want. Bob, can you give an idea on your total investment to do this?

Sounds like the benefits I want. Bob, can you give an idea on your total investment to do this?
From Robert Gilchrist:

"The kit cost - PLUS front coil overs - spindles - manual rack - and fab materials for the intermediate shaft cost
$3470. After brakes and all - complete all in - I have $3812.11 in mine. That even includes the brake fluid."

"My son has $5300 and change in his Magnum Force front end."

I've got mine, absolutely no complaints (all compliments actually).install isn't finished yet(shocks and final assembly). The ride height is set. I just installed a tilt column and temporarily connected it , instead of rebuilding and then cutting up the manual unit that came with the car. Denny even did some mods to adapt to the tube rails. I can't see why it wouldn't drive great . I had an Alterktion in my '68 R/T it was good too but Denny was a much better salesman the second time around.

Attachments

• 20150427_180436.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 894
  • 20140509_195423.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 807
  • 20140509_200755.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 853
  • 68 5-11-11 006.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 832
Starting to drive the BB 69 Valiant more and getting adjusted to it and noticed how responsive the steering is with the HDK I would think that with the right rear suspension and a high winding small block combined with the HDK the car would be awesome to drive

Mines getting closer to completion/driving.....:)

Starting to get a severe itch OMM !!

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_2921.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_2866.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 550
Finally getting my big block Valiant tuned in and it has the HDK in it I'm surprised easy how it turns and even being higher than it should be in the front how well to holds in curves it it would a lowered high reving car a blast to drive

ran 10.80's on mine at the nats, with Denny himself stopping up to help me adjust a few things. Great engineered product, leaps and bounds over the factory setup, and A+ customer service and attention. I must have called 10 times with questions and observations, and i can gladly say this is the best money i have put into this car.

Guess I'll be giving the HDK front end some serious consideration ! I liked what I saw at the MOPAR NATIONALS, so maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and get it done !

ran 10.80's on mine at the nats, with Denny himself stopping up to help me adjust a few things. Great engineered product, leaps and bounds over the factory setup, and A+ customer service and attention. I must have called 10 times with questions and observations, and i can gladly say this is the best money i have put into this car.
If you don't mind sharing, what size wheels are you running up front, and what brakes did you go with for the HDK setup?

If you don't mind sharing, what size wheels are you running up front, and what brakes did you go with for the HDK setup?
front wheels are weld racing knockoffs, sold by jegs, summit, and the Actual company called "ultra wheel" i think they are a zero offset 4 inch wheel. I run a 28 inch tall skinny, which i think i would probably go down in size on tire in the future. no real reason other than looks, and i only run a 26 on the rear.

The brakes were basic wilwoods "if there is such a thing" Denny should be able to tell you what all your options are there. Dyna pro? somehting like that. basically the cheapest 4 piston calipers that they had, that fit this kit. I recommend the solid wilwood rotors, not drilled and slotted....i bought drilled and slotted, and they stress cracked with very little use. actually broke on me...and got told to pound sand. (by wilwood, not Denny) Denny was great. I'd buy a 2nd one of these in a minute.

-
Back