head gasket replacement thread?

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hey,
Is there a good thread somewhere for slant 6 head gasket replacement instructions?

I can see that it's probably not that hard to get to, just wondered if there were any tips/suggestions to make it easier for a newb such as myself.

Thanks,
2kids

What year make and model?

Isn't much difference between the years. Later models had more hoses for emissions. It is a heavy head when you have to lean forward to remove, much much heavier if you leave the manifolds attached. I used a engine hoist to lift one out the last time I did it.

Getting the intake and exhaust to seal up later can sometimes be a chore.

Basic steps

Unhook battery, remove carb and exhaust pipe,drain radiator and remove upper hose,remove lower hose between w pump and head, remove intake and exhaust manifold, remove valve cover and rocker shaft and pushrods, remove spark plugs wires, if it will turn remove block coolant drain plug below cylinder 4-5 behind the oil pump, remove head bolts, remove head.

i may have left something out I haven't done it in 10 years. Good luck

Get a copy of a factory service manual would be my suggestion. It's not a real difficult job but there are procedures to follow and skipping a step can cost you time and money. About the only specialty tool you'll need is a good quality torque wrench. Regular hand tools will handle everything else if you have a good assortment. Long 3/8" extensions and a deep 1/2" socket will work well on the intake/exhaust manifolds.

When you reinstall the head, replace the short coolant hose between the head and block, since that is hard to do later. I put silicone hose on mine (check ebay), with euro-style hose clamps that don't cut it.

Insure that you clean both surfaces perfectly, using a razor blade on any suspect spot. Most people get the head resurfaced when doing a valve job. The block surface is usually pretty straight, and only the heads warp (but not as easy as aluminum heads do).

When you reinstall the head, replace the short coolant hose between the head and block, since that is hard to do later. I put silicone hose on mine (check ebay), with euro-style hose clamps that don't cut it.

Insure that you clean both surfaces perfectly, using a razor blade on any suspect spot. Most people get the head resurfaced when doing a valve job. The block surface is usually pretty straight, and only the heads warp (but not as easy as aluminum heads do).

thanks for the tip!

Get a copy of a factory service manual would be my suggestion. It's not a real difficult job but there are procedures to follow and skipping a step can cost you time and money. About the only specialty tool you'll need is a good quality torque wrench. Regular hand tools will handle everything else if you have a good assortment. Long 3/8" extensions and a deep 1/2" socket will work well on the intake/exhaust manifolds.

have one of the swivel adapters for the 3/8" handy as well. makes life so much easier on the intake/exhaust manifolds.

-
Back