Head gasket replacement_318 LA

-

DAndy ART

dreams becoming reality
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have a stock 318LA with what looks like a leaky head gasket. Coolant seems to be seeping out behind the lhs manifold.

I am not sure of the build, so let's imagine it's stock. Can I go thinner than the stock 0.040" to get a little bonus compression, or is the risk of clipping a valve too high?

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Cheers,
Andy from Australia

No chance a stock low lift 318 cam will come close to a piston with a stock head gasket. Order away, try and get the thinnest you can if your going that way.

check the end exaust manifold studs/bolts
Yep, probably not a head gasket. They rarely leak, coolant especially and not externally. The 4 corners of the exhaust hardware screw into coolant passages as well as water pump/ timing cover bolts.

Agreed no possible way you're going to have any clearance issues..
Even if you put a thinner head gasket there's absolutely nothing you're going to feel by the seat of the pants... my opinion is save yourself any extra expense if there is associated with a thinner gasket...

There is also a frost plug in the front and rear of the head. Intake gasket could be leaking and running down the back of the head. Kim

Exhaust studs would be the first place I would look. Also, depending on which casting head you have, I've seen some that crack on the outside between the plugs. I'd pressurize the system and see where it leaks, or, if it's real slow and hard to pin point, run a dye in the coolant system and run the engine a while to get the dye to show up where the leak is. As for which head gasket, it would depend on what the compression ratio is now, and if you want/need more performance. Sometimes you put in a thin head gasket for more power, and find the engine now pings on regular pump gas.

-
Back