Head installation question

-

lee g

Reaction score
when installing a set of heads is it better to install it with the rocker assembly off then install push rods and rocker assembly? Have a buddy of mine that just installs the head with rockets all ready installed all at once. Looking for opinions on the best method. I don't want to screw it up. Also what grit sand paper do you use to block the surfaces ?

I installed my heads without the rocker shafts....torqued them down, then push rods, then rocker shafts...

Jeff

You are gonna have to check your rocker arm geometry on this fresh build so I would do it last and I would only install the front pair, until the geometry is finalized. You may have to raise the entire shaft with special shims, to get the tips to roll over the stems properly for long stem/guide life. Then you repeat the procedure at the other end, and on the other side.There is a thread here somewhere explaining all that.
IMO, installing the heads with the rocker assemblies pre-installed on a first fit, is a bad idea. Have you checked your piston to valve clearance?If you drive a valve into the piston, how would you know? And now you have a bent valve, and if you turn the engine over with the starter, now you have 8 bent valves;possibly 16.
Once the engine has been mocked up and everybody is playing nice together, then I guess it would be ok, although I still would not do it; and the reason is almost obvious. How can you ensure that the heads will drop onto the dowel pins when at least two camlobes are poking valves open, which are preventing the head from sitting down flat,And aligning all the pushrods into their cups, while tightening the headbolts, would be totally frustrating for me.Chances are very good that something would go wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have the rockers off and will proceed with checking fitment.
Thanks again.

I use 180 grit wet dry sandpaper wrapped around a 3/4 x 6" metal bar. Just keep your finger tips off the edge or you won't have any left. Good Luck

The one thing I never liked about installing everything already assembled is the possibility of a lifter not bleeding down fast enough and bending a pushrod or pushing the valve retainer into the stem seal.
It just seems so much safer for it to go on head first, then rockers and pushrods, and even then it's a good idea to tighten them down slowly and evenly just in case there is some problem (like a rod not being seated correctly)

I don't know how on earth you can juggle "all that" and a heavy cast head at the same time. No way will I or would I have attempted that. How would you get 8 pushrods all corralled long enough to get the head on?

I don't know how on earth you can juggle "all that" and a heavy cast head at the same time. No way will I or would I have attempted that. How would you get 8 pushrods all corralled long enough to get the head on?
You set the head on and get a bolt started in each end and ease it on down while lining everything up as it goes. :D
Sounds like fun don't it?

You set the head on and get a bolt started in each end and ease it on down while lining everything up as it goes. :D
Sounds like fun don't it?

EuYgOQT.jpg

-
Back