head parts!!

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I am gathering the parts to have my head rebuilt this winter. My plan is to have it shaved, larger valves, hardened seat and a mild port. I have an extra head so I may play with the porting myself. Just wondering where the best place to get the valves, keepers and seals from. Thanks

Thanks Charrlie_S. As far as the seal, positive seal type better? Just doing a street motor to buzz around town, no track time.

Personally, I don't like the positive seals, on anything but a full boogy race motor. I think the do too good a job, and do not allow enough oil to get to the guide, and wear the guides. For a street motor, just use the stock seals, and make sure the machine shop replaces the guides if they are worn. I do not recommend "Knearling". That is just a bandaid.

unless you know what your doing you should leve them alone.and uless your bilding an all out race motor porting is going to slow it down,a stock hemi head used to out flow any after marct head.but I haven't pladed with them sence the 60s.im sure some of the old hemi boys will chim in and correct me.I mean after all the old super stock raesers used to spell hp.HEMI!!!!!!!!!! have fun and mopar to ya!!!!!!!! Artie

Hel, it's close. It has spark plug tubes. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Damn skippy. I need me a bumper sticker that says "REAL ENGINES HAVE SPARK PLUG TUBES"

LOL

Damn skippy. I need me a bumper sticker that says "REAL ENGINES HAVE SPARK PLUG TUBES"

LOL

2 Mopars come with Spark plug tubes. One is a highly refined, record setting, world class, racing machine. The other is a 426 CI. boat anchor! :smile::smile::smile:

2 Mopars come with Spark plug tubes. One is a highly refined, record setting, world class, racing machine. The other is a 426 CI. boat anchor! :smile::smile::smile:

LOL.... The other says "Hemi"...

Damn straight!

Personally, I don't like the positive seals, on anything but a full boogy race motor. I think the do too good a job, and do not allow enough oil to get to the guide, and wear the guides. For a street motor, just use the stock seals, and make sure the machine shop replaces the guides if they are worn.

I have exactly the opposite opinion, but based on experience with modern engines.

I use positive seals on the intake side, just like all engines designed since the 1970s, with bronze guide liners.

On the exhaust side it doesn't matter so much (no vacuum to suck oil in), so just use the stock umbrella seals.

Thanks guys. I ordered my springs yesterday. Next check will be the valves. I am looking for a kit with with everything to port my head. I have 2 heads so if I mess one up I will just take the other to the shop.
I hope to get it complete this winter to install next spring.

-
Back