I have a 440+30 dyno at 432 peak hp @5500 500trq @3200
452 heads 3 angle valve gob gasket matched no other port work
would a port job be a benefit

Hello all
new here
I have a 440+30 dyno at 432 peak hp @5500 500trq @3200
452 heads 3 angle valve gob gasket matched no other port work
would a port job be a benefit
I would think so. Allowing more air and fuel into the engine is almost never a downfall.

Sounds like You've got some cam in there, exactly what, and any future plans to go bigger? And, are You planning to do this Yourself, or have it done?

Porting when done by the right head porters with desired intent always helps !!!

No it wont add a thing. Where'd you hear that nonsense?

if your exhaust system is your cork then porting will add very little all parts must work together

What kind of exhaust are you running?
Hello
i'm running doug Thorley triy headers
custom ground comp cams solid flat tappet
gross lift .507
duration at .050 242
lob lift .3380
lob sep. 106
set at 102 deg centerline

There are much better engine builder on than me but it sure sounds like theres a huge opportunity in the heads. Do you have a good head shop in your area?

452's respond well to home porting. Get ye down to that there Walmart, drop 20 on a dremel, and another 10 on stones and buffers. Grab ye some safety glasses and a vacuum and hop to it

Was that 432 hp at the tires, or at the crankshaft? What other parts are in the heads (like valves, for instance)?

Was that 432 hp at the tires, or at the crankshaft? What other parts are in the heads (like valves, for instance)?
hello
all numbers are at crank
mopar 2.14 and 1.88
duel comp springs
10 deg retainers and lock
cran gold race roller rockers
3/8 pushrods
edelbrock performer intake and 750 carb
kb hypereutectic piston with .170 quench
the engine has been setting for ten years was planning to go into check springs, replace if needed
figured I would either port are replace heads while thay were off
I would like to see more trq
as is I have a flat trq curve 2800 rpm 486trq,(3800 505trq peck),5000 450

Last edited:
No it wont add a thing. Where'd you hear that nonsense?
Once again, Rob is so right. Here, one more time, is the proof that cylinder head porting is useless. Note the differences between post #43 and #44. By installing a very mild set of ported iron heads the horsepower gain, peak to peak, was a measly 62HP. Fuh-ged-ah-bow-dit.

Dyno testing a stock(?) 1972 440

Once again, Rob is so right. Here, one more time, is the proof that cylinder head porting is useless. Note the differences between post #43 and #44. By installing a very mild set of ported iron heads the horsepower gain, peak to peak, was a measly 62HP. Fuh-ged-ah-bow-dit.

Dyno testing a stock(?) 1972 440

Is that all? That boy of yours needs to stick with stuff that hangs on the wall. LOL

Rusty, sometimes it's hard to tell when you're kidding.

Well I mean really.......somebody asks if porting really makes a difference. There are some situations where I simply cannot help myself.

Well I mean really.......somebody asks if porting really makes a difference. There are some situations where I simply cannot help myself.
A Technical Editor with edgy self control and speaks his mind.........all Presidential qualities.

if your exhaust system is your cork then porting will add very little

Im curious as to why would you even say that as if it were relative to this guys combo he posted. It IS easier to get exhaust out than it is to get a/f in. Seems such a random irrelevant thing to say when you could just remember that the heads flow less when the intake goes on... and say its not port matched too, darn....now the once 230 cfm is now...205, maybe.
The reality is...you could take even a stock mill, pull the heads and port them, slap them back on with the same exhaust manifold and it WILL make more power.

Last edited:
Im curious as to why would you even say that as if it were relative to this guys combo he posted. It IS easier to get exhaust out than it is to get a/f in. Seems such a random irrelevant thing to say when you could just remember that the heads flow less when the intake goes on... and say its not port matched too, darn....now the once 230 cfm is now...205, maybe.
The reality is...you could take even a stock mill, pull the heads and port them, slap them back on with the same exhaust manifold and it WILL make more power.
ok so are there any head shops in the north Florida ,south Alabama ,south George areas

Stupid questions are those unasked.
Given the other parts - I'd think there's probably something else that's holding you back too. So I'd do some careful inspection if the heads are coming off anyway. Who spec'd the custom cam and is the valve job quality there? Reason I ask is I've used a Crane hydraulic with a similar intake lobe and made a lot more hp on a stock piston 440 with my ported 516 heads and a 6bbl.
Porting will help. It helped my 100% stock Neon and pretty much anything else it's done one. Assuming that the rest of the engine package is matched well and in good order and the porting is of good quality. The valve job can do a lot of what basic porting does if it's done with the right equipment by someone who wants to do a good job. It will also enhance any port work you pay for. So there may be more to getting more power than just porting. Make sure the rings are sealing (leakdown) and have the heads gone through a the same time. Then work with the head porter to match a new cam choice to what you have.

-
Back