Head Recommendation

-

STR-14

I put the hoar in hoarder
Reaction score
Can anybody give me some advice on the best available (strip only) head to use on a small block 416 stroker. I'm currently using older (cast iron) W-2's that are pretty efficient, but I'm sure there is better available...........
Currently doing about 126-7 MPH (on a good day) in 10.5-6ish seconds. My short block is rock solid, Victor W-2 intake, 950 Holley HP, 430 spool Dana, 30 x 9 radial slicks & Caltracs with a 904 with a 5500 TC. The combination is in fine shape and works well.
I'd like to get some better breathing, as well as I'm going to lighten up the front end with lighter wheels, a glass bumper and maybe a rack front end this winter.
My goal is to hit about 138-9 MPH in around a 10 second flat run.
Appreciate the advice.........
Daryl

What you got now(the w-2's) are the best steel head you could be running,maybe they need to be re-worked..other then the w-2's ,the Indy 360-1 or 360-2 are another excellent performing head,then again theres guys in the 9's running fully ported Edelbrocks..

If you are interested in a NEW W2 set up here is what I have for $3,000.

NEW In Boxes:
Complete Set Of Mopar W2 Econo Heads
W2 Roller Rockers & Shafts
W2 M1 Intake
W2 TTi Coated & Polished A-Body Headers

I would call Hughes and or Indy if I were in your position. Nothin like asking the professionals.

Talk with ou812 here on the board. He's an Indy dealer and for those type of MPH goals, I'd think a 360- head would be the direction to go.

I wouldn't call Indy direct unless they were the last people on the planet to buy from. Just my 2 cents

I think the W-2s would be pretty hard to beat, especially if you've already got them.......are they fully ported?

I agree 100%..Ryan is the "man" when it comes to small block heads..

Contact Ryan Johnson at Shady Dell. He'll hook you up.
http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/

Man he has you guys FOOLED.....dang.

Duster Dougs DOORSTOPS RHS/INDY Heads are knocking down WAY BETTER TIMES than you EVER HAVE.......he is SMOKIN your times stroked 340.....eddy what??
Not to mention Brian at IMM Engines NON PORTED RHS/INDY Headed 410 he did for CC magazine either, he is KICKING YOUR AZZZZ also.

You don't know WTF you are talking about when it comes to this stuff for DAMN SURE!

Man he has you guys FOOLED.....dang.

Duster Dougs DOORSTOPS RHS/INDY Heads are knocking down WAY BETTER TIMES than you EVER HAVE.......he is SMOKIN your times stroked 340.....eddy what??
Not to mention Brian at IMM Engines NON PORTED RHS/INDY Headed 410 he did for CC magazine either, he is KICKING YOUR AZZZZ also.

You don't know WTF you are talking about when it comes to this stuff for DAMN SURE!

We're not talking about my heads or car..but do tell us what you know about Ryan seeing as you THINK you know so much...if you can get your nose out of Brian's *** long enough that is...

Stroked,

I don't claim to know ANYTHING and I NEVER have, all I need to know is that YOU don't know what YOU are talking about, PERIOD!

Spend your money where you want. I wouldn't send my or recommend stuff to PA, that's for sure.

You best make sure you are getting somebodies best work when paying, cause I've seen and watched stuff that was done that didn't work for crap until it was fixed by another person. There's another member at moparts, to go with the two I know (since fixed), that can't figure out why his ede's aren't up to snuff. Let's just say "the man" did them first. Flow numbers aren't everything.

Trying to get 138-139 out of a 3000+ pound SB car is going to take some work, like 630hp at the wheels. 2700 needs about 560ish. Ain't no way an rhs head or and ede will get there NA. W2 with a ton of work??? Maybe. Seen a 416 Batten w2 engine make 660-670.

God I love the ignore feature, too bad people hit the quotes so I have to read some of it.

Have fun and we return to your regularly scheduled program...

Can anybody give me some advice on the best available (strip only) head to use on a small block 416 stroker. I'm currently using older (cast iron) W-2's that are pretty efficient, but I'm sure there is better available...........
Currently doing about 126-7 MPH (on a good day) in 10.5-6ish seconds. My short block is rock solid, Victor W-2 intake, 950 Holley HP, 430 spool Dana, 30 x 9 radial slicks & Caltracs with a 904 with a 5500 TC. The combination is in fine shape and works well.
I'd like to get some better breathing, as well as I'm going to lighten up the front end with lighter wheels, a glass bumper and maybe a rack front end this winter.
My goal is to hit about 138-9 MPH in around a 10 second flat run.
Appreciate the advice.........
Daryl

If you aren't going to a higher numerical number W....you're making a mistake....

I have a friend with a much smaller motor, not exactly as good as W's doing more then what your goal is...at 3300 lbs

If you can't, i got the right # you need for the person to put that motor together for you and get you to that desired goal...which isn't unobtainable at all.

Find out what they [your W2's] flow now, then have them ported and flowed again on the same bench.jmo

ps...what the other guy said about going to the next w #, like W9's, they flow [ported] in the mid 300's like 345'ish or so cfm.

but see what you have cause those heads [ported] will flow 320'ish cfm.

as for advice....look at the post history of thee 'advisor' and you can tell who 'knows' and who 'blow's'... hot air that is.

Well..... some interesting comments here that I have no idea what they have to do with my original question.
At any rate...... I do not know the flow rate of my heads yet. They have definately been ported, but probably not "full race" as Bob asked. I won't be seeing my builder for a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty sure he'll know what the numbers were, he's very, very competent, and builds a lot of high quality engines. Like I said, I'm just wondering what else is out there for small block heads. Thanks for the info...........
Daryl

Well..... some interesting comments here that I have no idea what they have to do with my original question.

Your absolutely right,same shleps have to come in with negative comments..as for your question the w-2's are a damn good race head have them reworked and i'm sure you'll be happy,or go with the Indy 360-1's may be stepping up to them myself...

The W's are still what everyone aspire's to.... if it's flow #'s the W will flow more then what the aftermarket has per anything cheap bolt on....

So instead of spending money to start below where you are at now, just have those heads massaged correctly...

Any of the other W's as in 7,8,9 are and will flow well into the high 3's touch 4's if you want flow #'s... then you have the RP 9 also...

Like i said my friend is in the 9's, smaller then you, by 100" and not a W

Supershafts - Thanks for the recommendation........
Daryl

Not sure what you have done on your W2's but they should be able to get any sb into the 9's with the right combo and right v/j & porting. Maybe pull them off and get them checked out, or put some new hi flo ferras 2.05 intake valves and see..

i run 9.9@134 in 3550 lbs ,your mph 126/7 should go 10.40 what your 60 ft and the rest of your combo ,comp, cam etc and weight ,pipes ,there are better heads but they can play havic if not right mine are cnc 245-1 indys flow 350 cfm intake.

440, What is the shortblock? Is this a race-only vehicle? You're asking a question that needs much mroe detail to really answer. You are beyond the RPMs in any form with the W2s and WAY beyond the RHS offerings in ANY form.

-
Back