Head upgrade. Cnc, big mouth, or different heads ?

-

Reaction score
So my engine has some issues do to gas getting in oil. So since I have to tear it down I'm thinking it's a good time to try to grab some extra ponies. I'm in no hurry cause summer is over in about 6 weeks here so my season is done. My combo is 416, 10.7:1, hydraulic roller (240ish duration and 550 lift ),forged pistons, steel crank and ported eddies. I know this isn't a question than can be answered with a straight answer but what could I do to get some more power out of this thing and still stay streetable on pump gas.

So my engine has some issues do to gas getting in oil. So since I have to tear it down I'm thinking it's a good time to try to grab some extra ponies. I'm in no hurry cause summer is over in about 6 weeks here so my season is done. My combo is 416, 10.7:1, hydraulic roller (240ish duration and 550 lift ),forged pistons, steel crank and ported eddies. I know this isn't a question than can be answered with a straight answer but what could I do to get some more power out of this thing and still stay streetable on pump gas.

Solid roller for starts. You can upgrade heads but that runs into$$$$$$$$$.
Better converter. More gear. More RPM.

Too bad you are asking the question after the teardown. My recommendation is to find out how efficient the combination that you already have is. You would really have to do this on a good dyno and a good operator. You always need a baseline when performing any mods so you can tell which direction you are going in and not just guessing and spending $ that you didn't need to . Bad thing.
Remember the basics. All engines are the same. They are just air pumps and all that you are doing with porting, bigger valves, more lift and longer duration cams, more fuel and bigger intake ports, higher efficiency exhaust systems is to move as much air, as efficiently as possible from the intake to out the exhaust pipe. That is all we are doing. Some engines are more efficient at lower rpms and some are more efficient at higher rpms. Some are not efficient at all. When that happens, we need to find out which part of the system needs attention. You need to decide in the beginning which kind of air pimp do you want the high rpm or the lower rpm one. All of the parts need to work together, be compatible with each other. Just putting a bunch of parts on an engine to see what happens is like baking a cake with no recipe. Put it all in the oven and see what comes out. You always need a plan.

Any numbers?
Numbers are important, not for boasting, to see what the port is doing 'in general' and if the work done helped ,hurt, or was just mediocre.
Yep, with flow numbers before and after.
Solid roller for starts. You can upgrade heads but that runs into$$$$$$$$$.
Better converter. More gear. More RPM.
Like that solid roller idea, it was the first thing that came to mind.

The shop that ported the heads didn't flow them so sorry, no numbers. The shop that I'm taking this thing to now is going through everything and flowing heads. The place that originally built it are way to arrogant for me.
I have no problem going with a solid roller.

An arrogant shop that doesn't flow their ported heads, good idea to go someplace else.

My guys will flow 1 or all the ports on any head you bring them. Just gotta ask!

My guys will flow 1 or all the ports on any head you bring them. Just gotta ask!

Dammit. Now I have to apologize to the wife.

She says in business I'm a prick. I say I'm not. This^^^^^proves I am a prick.

If I do your stuff, you don't get the option of flow testing. It's flowed. And the customer pays.

Oh no, I am a prick.

I hope you know I agreed with you too hopefully get a laugh! You wanted to see how many would agree with you anyway didn't ya!

Jeff

Dammit. Now I have to apologize to the wife.

She says in business I'm a prick. I say I'm not. This^^^^^proves I am a prick.

If I do your stuff, you don't get the option of flow testing. It's flowed. And the customer pays.

Oh no, I am a prick.

A - OH- Whoa! Hold on!

I brought in a set of heads ported by someone else. It asked them to flow a port. The same port flowed by the porter. Knowing how my guy does things is more valuable for me than the porters report. Even more so when you know what the flow is before and after porting.

When my guy gets virgin heads from me, I'll ask for flow reports before and after. And of course that takes time, time is money, I pay money for his time.
That is business.

Do you have to act a prick in business? No. You have to get paid!
If the customer wants s something free, give advice he take a business course!
And of course, PAY FOR THE GOODS AND SERVICES YOU PROVIDE!
CASH! Is allways best.

I'd send the to bob at modern cylinder head he has a nice program for the edelbrock head

-
Back