Header and exhaust wrap question

-

Matts440

Reaction score
I have .032" stainless steel wire would that be good enough to help secure the wraps in place? Or should I get thicker?

Yeah I just got the wrap by itself, but did order a pk of 4 of the Taylor Ty's, I have two 25ft and one 50ft titanium wrap just just thinking the Ty's for down pipe, and use the safety wire since I have it left over from my rear brake kit to use it on the headers and the mid pipes.

Also, when you wrap it, wear gloves, most of the wrap is fiberglass based.

Yeah I just got the wrap by itself, but did order a pk of 4 of the Taylor Ty's, I have two 25ft and one 50ft titanium wrap just just thinking the Ty's for down pipe, and use the safety wire since I have it left over from my rear brake kit to use it on the headers and the mid pipes.
You may need one more 25 foot LOL ask me how I know. Now mind you I was rapping cheap Summit headers and I ended up buying a third 50-foot to get it all the way from top to bottom. I did have plenty left over, but 2 50-foot was not enough. of course I hung them on a hook in the garage and had a bucket of water that I soaked it all in first. I also used just regular hose clamps at the Midway where I would either have to stop a single wrap to transition into a double or even all four at one point. But that hose clamp would get covered by yet more wrap..

Good to know, well I don't have full length header just ones for the turbos, I might get away with it, if not then I'll order another 50ft. I don't think on the titanium I need to soak them in water if I'm not mistaken or will it help make a tigher wrap?

61519883_2334056479994573_7804688783584002048_o.jpg

IMG_20200525_161632.jpg

I just took them out to replace them with some cheap Summit ceramic coated headers that really look much much better...

I have used wire sucessfully -----------------
And my 505 has burned up every wrap I`ve used , including lava wrap. Now trying some full fiberglass /alum coated stuff, stinks and smokes like its gonna burn at first , but queits down after a while .------------

Think the .032" will be good?

I personally do , Ive got alum wire on mine in one place now, but expect it to burn thru. I used some 1/4'' wide alum straps , made like the s/s ones , and it burned thru too.
I have a tremendous amount of engine bay heat, it even has melted and disfigured a pair of hood vents a little .

Oh wow, yeah I'm putting a 6" six pack scoop on mine to help cool down and to help vent it would plus all the wrap and will get turbo blankets as well.

those are not full length, you may be fine. wet wrap will shrink slightly when dry and will be more pliable. heat is power when it comes to a turbo, them more heat you can keep in the system before the wastegate will be better for power. Intercooler is free HP too.

Sweet, yeah thats through goal, keep all that heat inside, plus try and wrap the turbo/ waste gate part too. Yeah have twin air/waters set up on mine

Oh wow, yeah I'm putting a 6" six pack scoop on mine to help cool down and to help vent it would plus all the wrap and will get turbo blankets as well.
Hope ur going to seal the scoop to the hood ,it has always fought air coming thru the rad on my cars , if I didnt , by trying to pressurize the engine compartment , on the road. .
Yeah I have gloves to wear, don't want my hands itching like crazy.

Its always my forearms that get the fiberglass the worst , wear long sleeves !!

No not sealed due to being fuel injected, just wanted to put one on to help blow cooler air over the top to help keep the charge even cooler. Will drill some hole on the back side to help even suck air out of the engine compartment while normal driving.

You can get metal zip ties by the pack in the electrical section at Lowes....A more cost effective solution to securing them.

Thank you for that, will check there but also found some stainless 304 ties even at harbor 12" for $6 for a pack of 25. Will see what size I'll need.

True maybe for that price I'll grab 2 of the pack, should be okay just need to wrap around 3.5" pipe and a small 4" but then the 1.75" header pipes.

-
Back