HEADER IDEAS

-
318willrun has the adapter also, and it looks like he had a mile of clearance. The TTI's are step headers, that start out with 1 5/8 tube, and then step up to 1 3/4. Dougs are 1 5/8 all the way. The TTI's have one slip tube on the drivers side to go around the torsion bar, but I don't think the Dougs headers have any slip tubes on the D453's.
So guessing the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 would be the best for HP? Forgive me JD I am not good at figuring HP I do body work and got that down pretty good but I sure want to do the engine and running gear right. Not looking to do drag racing so much as killing a few newer cars on the street.

Stepped headers are a bridge between tube sizes and how each straight tube size normally works. Dyno operators and engine builders see this all the time, straight up one size headers perform a certain way and the stepped headers slightly different.

When stepped headers came out, they noticed (build dependent) ether increased low end torque over the larger tube header or more top end HP over the smaller tube header but not really giving anything up on the other end.

The tti header is an excellent street or street strip header. The 1-5/8 - 1-3/4 is an excellent choice.
A move to a straight 1-3/4 header should be a beefy engine I order to be the stepped header.
To effectively use a 1-3/4 header to out power a stepped header would be more strip minded type of build where low end torque is of Absolutely little to no concern.

But, IMO, that would be silly to do. I’ve run 1-3/4 Hooker super comps on a 318 just fine. The power difference is seen only on a dyno or track. Driving in the street, you’ll never know the difference.

Last edited:
Stepped headers are a bridge between tube sizes and how each straight tube size normally works. Dyno operators and engine builders see this all the time, straight up one size headers perform a certain way and the stepped headers slightly different.

When stepped headers came out, they noticed (build dependent) ether increased low end torque over the larger tube header or more top end HP over the smaller tube header but not really giving anything up on the other end.

The tti header is an excellent street or street strip header. The 1-5/8 - 1-3/4 is an excellent choice.
A move to a straight 1-3/4 header should be a beefy engine I order to be the stepped header.
To effectively use a 1-3/4 header to out power a stepped header would be more strip minded type of build where low end torque is of Absolutely little to no concern.

But, IMO, that would be silly to do. I’ve run 1-3/4 Hooker super comps on a 318 just fine. The power difference is seen only on a dyno or track. Driving in the street, you’ll never know the difference.
Thanks rumblefish I'm learning a little late in years but better late than never.

The TTI stepped headers should work great on your 408. Hedman used to make headers they called TorkStep headers. I put a set on a D300 with a warmed over 360 in it, and they worked awesome. They had the same size tubes as the TTI headers that fit your car. The step headers do a good job of balancing torque and horsepower. Your car looks nice, and your experience in body and paint work shows! I wish you were closer.....I'd get you to teach me some tricks about mixing and spraying paint! I'm pretty good at body work....just slow! I've never painted a whole car before, but gaining the confidence to do it this coming spring. I've painted 4 or 5 Club Car golf cart bodies, and they turned out good. Painting one of them things is like trying to paint a basketball and not run it....lol.
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

The TTI stepped headers should work great on your 408. Hedman used to make headers they called TorkStep headers. I put a set on a D300 with a warmed over 360 in it, and they worked awesome. They had the same size tubes as the TTI headers that fit your car. The step headers do a good job of balancing torque and horsepower. Your car looks nice, and your experience in body and paint work shows! I wish you were closer.....I'd get you to teach me some tricks about mixing and spraying paint! I'm pretty good at body work....just slow! I've never painted a whole car before, but gaining the confidence to do it this coming spring. I've painted 4 or 5 Club Car golf cart bodies, and they turned out good. Painting one of them things is like trying to paint a basketball and not run it....lol.
View attachment 1715437488 View attachment 1715437492
You'll do a great job painting I'm sure. Painted mine one peace at a time. With the new paints it's real hard for me to paint a complete car without another painter helping out. And would never think of painting something all together unless a tri coat color.

-
Back