Header install around trans cooler lines

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
Spent most of the day today installing headers on my 318 in my 68 Valiant. They're in place with small clearances but I can deal with that. I've got trans cooler lines that are touching the headers in one spot and completely in the starter's space as well. One is pretty obviously bent. What is the best plan with these, can I just cut them, flare them and replace with long section of hose or is there a good technique to bending them?

I’ve never had any luck bending that old tubing. It’s so old it usually kinks.

As long as you use good transmission cooler hose and double clamps at the joints, you can cut the tubing, flare it and use that rubber hose to make it go where you want.

I’ve never had any luck bending that old tubing. It’s so old it usually kinks.

As long as you use good transmission cooler hose and double clamps at the joints, you can cut the tubing, flare it and use that rubber hose to make it go where you want.

And insulate it where its close ------

Trans lines connected, does anyone have an opinion on using non-exhaust specific bolts for headers? The header bolts that's I bought are 3/8 which I learned is not the 318 thread size. Can I just buy regular old Allen head bolts at the hardware store?

I have one in my garage, I just got excited about the headers and am regretting my decision to install my headers on the small motor. Should've just waited for the drivetrain swap

No, with the (open) headers installed, you can get to the parts store faster, so it was a good call. Stop second guessing yourself.

:thumbsup:

Of course I was kiddin about the four speed....BUT in all seriousness, I've never had trouble with header and transmission lines intersecting AS LONG AS they weren't bent, contorted or otherwise twisted and discombobulated from a previous owner trying to totally screw somethin up. As long as they are run per factory, CLOSE in to the engine and transmission, I've never had an issue.

Spent most of the day today installing headers on my 318 in my 68 Valiant. They're in place with small clearances but I can deal with that. I've got trans cooler lines that are touching the headers in one spot and completely in the starter's space as well. One is pretty obviously bent. What is the best plan with these, can I just cut them, flare them and replace with long section of hose or is there a good technique to bending them?
I slipped DEI insulting tube over my tranny lines and called it good.

Of course I was kiddin about the four speed....BUT in all seriousness, I've never had trouble with header and transmission lines intersecting AS LONG AS they weren't bent, contorted or otherwise twisted and discombobulated from a previous owner trying to totally screw somethin up. As long as they are run per factory, CLOSE in to the engine and transmission, I've never had an issue.

Everything on this car has been discombobulated by either 17 year old me, or a previous owner. Pretty obvious kink in one spot. Ended up just cutting the main section of the lines out. My zip tie work is pretty good, but I might throw some heat shield over it just to be safe

Everything on this car has been discombobulated by either 17 year old me, or a previous owner. Pretty obvious kink in one spot. Ended up just cutting the main section of the lines out. My zip tie work is pretty good, but I might throw some heat shield over it just to be safe

mmmm, heat shield goood !

IMG_0289.JPG

quick update- got the headers installed, they bump into the steering a little bit, so I've gotta clearance that underneath. But overall the 5 day thrash was pretty worth it.

If you used any rubber hose in it, that's acceptable, but ONLY of you use hose that's compatible with transmission fluid and power steering fluid. Regular fuel hose will break down and swell pretty quickly, so make sure you use the right thing there if you go with hose.

If you used any rubber hose in it, that's acceptable, but ONLY of you use hose that's compatible with transmission fluid and power steering fluid. Regular fuel hose will break down and swell pretty quickly, so make sure you use the right thing there if you go with hose.

bought tranmission hose, so I did cover my bases there. if i'm doing the wrong thing, i might as well do it the right way. definitely dont want that fluid to get onto the headers. I got some heat shield around the tubing also, i'm fairly confident in it now

bought tranmission hose, so I did cover my bases there. if i'm doing the wrong thing, i might as well do it the right way. definitely dont want that fluid to get onto the headers. I got some heat shield around the tubing also, i'm fairly confident in it now

I don't know, I wouldn't necessarily call it "wrong". I personally prefer hard lines there, but as long as you use the correct hose, you're good. I don't even like running real braided high pressure hose for fuel. I prefer hard line there too. Lots of people laugh at me, but that's just what I like to run.

-
Back