header tethers

-
Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you need these if you collector is welded to your tubes? Maybe I'm wrong but the picture on the website looks like a fully welded header...

If your collector is welded you don't need them. Also, with the latest addition to the NHRA rule book, you don't have to buy these over priced hose clamp/cable ties. You can now buy a 5 dollar exhaust hanger and attach it to the body and you're good to go.

If your collector is welded you don't need them. Also, with the latest addition to the NHRA rule book, you don't have to buy these over priced hose clamp/cable ties. You can now buy a 5 dollar exhaust hanger and attach it to the body and you're good to go.

I hadn't heard of the addition. Thanks much :).

Well, I did some digging and I can't find the document that said "must need tools to remove" for the collector retaining device. I read it a few months ago, and at the time it was clear that as long as you had something you were good...Currently this is all I could find from the rule book,

"Exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened (i.e., metal
connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of
collector/stacks during competition. All removable multipiece
exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either
an NHRA-accepted header tether or a minimum 1/2'' (half-inch)
stitch weld located on each primary tube to prevent loss of
collector/stacks during competition."

So, I guess depending on what you have, you might need the tethers or you might not...idk...now I'm not sure...clear as mud :banghead: :wack:

Edit: Nevermind, found it again

SECTION 20: GENERAL REGULATIONS, ENGINE: 1, 1:3 EXHAUST (Page 3) (2/18/2014) All cars vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of car vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust collectors/stacks system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of collector/stacks system components during competition. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, All removable multi-piece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, or a minimum ½” (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e. exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com.

Well, I did some digging and I can't find the document that said "must need tools to remove" for the collector retaining device. I read it a few months ago, and at the time it was clear that as long as you had something you were good...Currently this is all I could find from the rule book,

"Exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened (i.e., metal
connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of
collector/stacks during competition. All removable multipiece
exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either
an NHRA-accepted header tether or a minimum 1/2'' (half-inch)
stitch weld located on each primary tube to prevent loss of
collector/stacks during competition."

So, I guess depending on what you have, you might need the tethers or you might not...idk...now I'm not sure...clear as mud :banghead: :wack:

Edit: Nevermind, found it again

SECTION 20: GENERAL REGULATIONS, ENGINE: 1, 1:3 EXHAUST (Page 3) (2/18/2014) All cars vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of car vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust collectors/stacks system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of collector/stacks system components during competition. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, All removable multi-piece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, or a minimum ½” (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e. exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com.

Thanks again for the info. I went this weekend and bought MY version of the $149.00 collector tether. 11 bucks and change @ Pep Boys.

I got mine the other day. Looks simple enough. A requirement to purchase these from a vender is absurd. I can weld my roll cage in my car but I have to buy these? If I had caught on to the above mentioned amendment I would not have purchased. I do however see the tethers being a requirement in the future. Any hoot, I got to speak with Jok about my trailer toad while discussing the tethers so it was a good day overall.

-
Back