Headers in my early A body...HELP

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for everyones experiences w/ headers in their early A/SB car.

They would be going into a 65 Valiant, manual steering, bolting onto a stroked 360. I've read all the horror stories, problems, and am looking for the easiest "bolt on" solution. I'm trying to decide between Doug's, Layson's, and TTI. Anyone's experiences GOOD or BAD would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

If you do a search for headers early As you will find hours of reading about all the horror stories and maybe some good stories too. There are a couple of stickie threads about installing Spitfires - the ones Layson sells are knockoffs of the original Spitfires (long out of business). Shameless plug - I got 2 sets of Spitfires and open to selling 1 set.

I had Dougs on my 65 Valiant and they were hands DOWN the easiest and best fitting headers I have ever installed.

I have Heddman Hustler fenderwell headers(1 7/8) on my 66 Dart.I had to cut the inner fenders for them,but they are easy install/removal.After I did this(5 yrs ago) TTI started making 1 3/4 under chassis headers:violent1:.I would go with the biggest primary tubes you can get,for that stroker to work.Mine is a Eddy head 410 c.i stroker running mid 10,s.

I have a pair of the original spitfires on my 66, they were the best thing going at the time, but I would follow Rustys suggestion and go with Dougs!! He made the original Ddart headers, he knows how they should be made! Geof

Has anyone made headers to fit a '66 Cuda with power steering & 4 speed manual trans.? I would definitely be interested in a set!

Go Doug's.......

I would recommend that you pull the slip tubes apart once a year, clean them and neversease so they don't rust together, cuz if they do, it is very much a pain to get them apart.

Has anyone made headers to fit a '66 Cuda with power steering & 4 speed manual trans.? I would definitely be interested in a set!

I have a set in my '66 with a stick and power steering, no fitment issues at all.

I have Hooker Super Comps on my 66 Valiant and really like them and fit nice, they are made for the 63-66 early a-body cars :glasses7:

I used to run hooker Super Comps in my 68 Barracuda, but they hung so low, that they eventually crushed the pipe over 70%, so I went back to exhaust manifolds.

Exhaust manifolds flow better than a 70% crushed pipe with headers....

If you decide to get headers, make sure that they don't hang too far below the k-frame...

I have a set in my '66 with a stick and power steering, no fitment issues at all.

gold66cuda what brand headers do you have? Did the header come complete? Any installation tricks/tips or was it a straight forward install?

Go Doug's.......

I would recommend that you pull the slip tubes apart once a year, clean them and neversease so they don't rust together, cuz if they do, it is very much a pain to get them apart.

This ^^^^^^^ Is an excellent suggestion. I used high temp red RTV on mine and it worked great, but you need to put something on the slip fit or it will pretty much become permanent where you have to cut them to ever remove the headers.

I helped a friend install a set of slip fit headers on his car about three years ago. He asked me to help him with it a couple of weeks ago and we had to pull the headers apart and I figured we were going to have to cut them, BUT we had used some ceramic never seize he bought from McMaster Carr when we installed them and they came right apart. The stuff was kind of expensive (about $35.00 for one spray can)but it sure did work in his case. He'll be ordering it again when his car goes back together.

I have a set of TTI's on my 66 Barracuda, power steering and 904. Had to remove the steering column and torsion bars to get them off. But had plenty of clearance when installed.

Old Cyclone fenderwells, cant see them interfering with anything except your inner fenders! Classic Angel wing design like Hedman but long out of production. Got a set on my wall. Supercomps fit and are equal length for what thats worth. All are $$$ if you can weld (even badly) get some 67;s that have the #3 go straight back and down, you can almost use these with a lot of cut and weld 'work'.

I installed a set of Spitfires last year when I freshened up the motor in my '66 Barracuda, manual steering, originally a 4 speed, but has a T5 using a Quicktime bellhousing. They went in slick, had a 3 bolt collector flange, the muffler shop had a time working around the fork and so forth, but that's about it.

I've got a set of Spitfires for sale that are brand new. PM me if interested.

I need to start checking this site more often! It is a floor shift, ground clearance was good. It has TTI 3 inch exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers then turn downs

-
Back