Headers, TTI or Doug’s?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying some headers, asking for feedback with actual hands on experience which is better TTI or Doug’s I’m talking fit and finish, ease of install. Will be going on a 408 with a 727.

I use a mini starter, let me say the finish still looks goof after 20 years. Tti or Doug’s both are good quality products and you won’t be disappointed with either

Both are top of the line. I have TTI with manual steering, 4 speed 340 duster with 90 degree oil filter adaptor and mini starter. Also running 73 up drag link. installing is fun but once in no issues with clearance or hanging too low.

What car you putting into?

early A? Does Dougs even make a header for it? Maybe the D450?

Neither are cheap and both tend to be well built.

Both are top of the line. I have TTI with manual steering, 4 speed 340 duster with 90 degree oil filter adaptor and mini starter. Also running 73 up drag link. installing is fun but once in no issues with clearance or hanging too low.

What car you putting into?
65 Valiant 408 manual steering with Gerst tubular suspension.

Thank you, no issues with install? Special starter or just any mini starter?
I have TTI's on my 66 Barracuda. Quality and fit are great. If you're not using the factory torsion bars, your install will probably be a lot easier than mine was :) I had to run a mini starter but I don't recall which one. Wouldn't have been anything exotic or I'd remember. Whichever brand you go with, it's worth spending extra for the ceramic coating imo.

Last edited:
I have TTI's on my 66 Barracuda. Quality and fit are great. If you're not using the factory torsion bars, your install will probably be a lot easier than mine was :) I had to run a mini starter but I don't recall which one. Wouldn't have been anything exotic or I'd remember. Whichever brand you go with, it's worth spending extra for the ceramic coating imo.
Thank you for your input, I’m honing to call TTI tomorrow and talk to them about ordering a set and if they will clear my current oil pan.

With the TTI's you'll defiantly need a Robb Mcmaster starter motor. It needs to be clocked just enough to clear the headers with the 10.5 bell or the 727.
They are a tight fit but great ground clearance with these headers.

I put a set of TTI's in my 65 Barracuda, 340 4-speed, 10.5 inch clutch. I wouldn't say it was easy, but they did fit once I re-routed fuel and brake lines and some wiring, and shortened the steering column jacket. Did have to dink two tubes, one to clear the idler arm, the other to clear the Z bar. No leaks, no rattles.

Can't say how they compare to Doug's, because I've never tried them.

1672650430094.png

65 Valiant 408 manual steering with Gerst tubular suspension.

running a tube front end probably opens up more room so either will work.

the tti are larger tubes and larger collectors then the dougs. not sure if that makes a difference for you or not.

with stock suspension i'd personally go with the dougs. helped a friend install the tti in his 66 cuda. i don't think tti designed them with large (1") torsion bars in mind because they are freaking super tight. the dougs would give you a little more wiggle room..

like stated, both are high quality.

With the TTI's you'll defiantly need a Robb Mcmaster starter motor. It needs to be clocked just enough to clear the headers with the 10.5 bell or the 727.
They are a tight fit but great ground clearance with these headers.

put the tti on a 66 cuda using only a mopar mini starter.

@chrgdrt not sure what you disagree with but thats what we did.. tti on a 66 cuda with a mopar mini starter. the original poster says he has a 727 so it may be different.​

Starters:
904 Trans: Chrysler part no's: R53005984, 56027702AC or Mopar Performance part no's: P5249644AB, P5007860, P4286522
727 Trans: Must use a RobbMc Perf Starter #3005
Standard Trans / 9" Flywheel (122-tooth ring gear): Chrysler part no's: R53005984, 56027702AC or Mopar Performance part no's: P5249644AB, P5007860, P4286522
Standard Trans / 10.5" Flywheel (130-tooth ring gear): Must use a RobbMc Perf Starter #3005

I guess I’ve been a little careless in my scrolling and hit the disagree button by mistake and not noticed. Sorry for any confusion-no disagreement here

I thought the description on either header website recommended using the smaller starter?

I bought the TTI headers with the ceramic coating along with the rest of the exhaust including the slotted tips a few years ago already had a denso mini starter and fit perfectly on my 74 duster with a 360 right angled oil filter. Very high quality the muffler hangers are heavy duty and I used the stainless pipe clamps with a lock nut. When we were starting the install I was throwing the boxes away and my buddy said don't throw them away until we find out if this stuff fits and I crushed them and said I am 100 percent confident they will fit and they did... well worth the money look and sound great.

I have a '68 340 FS FB and love the TTI Headers. My brother has Dougs and they are tight around the torsion bar on the LH side. He had to use thick truck motor mounts to raise the engine enough to clear the torsion bar. Otherwise, both were fine. I used the stock starter for a few years by like the cranking ability of a Denso starter. Just used a junk yard starter from a modern 360. Worked fine. Rock Auto has all the small parts needed to rebuild the electrical connections on the Denso starter which is the only real wear point. They work great.

Installed the tti headers on my 1973 dodge dart sport 340 with ceramic coating outside and also coated inside. Excellent fit. Installed engine and headers from under car with no problems at all. Used a msd mini started also. Yes they are expensive especially in canada. They are well worth the cost!

If you get tti's, make sure you apply a rust preventer in the off season even if garaged. I initially didnt see this in the directions. Rusting away as we speak

20200925_135028.jpg

20200925_135013.jpg

20200925_134954.jpg

-
Back