Headlight bulb supplier

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Does anyone know who the original supplier of headlight bulbs were in 1966 at the LA plant? I have 3 different cars that year with 4 different headlight bulbs! GE, Tungsol, Sylvania, and Westinghouse. I suspect it's GE, but, would like to know for sure. Thanks.

Probably both. I remember a big discussion in the E body world regarding “correct” bulbs and finally someone who worked on the assembly line said whatever was in the giant box I was pulling them out and they were probably mixed

I have a 32K original car with GE, but, that's not saying they never got changed before I got the car 30 years ago. My Hawaii car built at Hamtramck has two different ones on it. A Tungsol and one that just says "Power Beam".

I have four 1965 Darts. The three Dart Chargers assembled in December and January all had GE bulbs. My 270 wagon assembled in June 65 had GE bulbs as well. However my old 270 wagon that I parted out due to rust issues had GE and Westinghouse. Assembled in April 65.

This is facts. There is nothing mentione in the partsbook. @slantsixdan might have some more details since he is the pro here.

I have a 1968. The correct bulbs are GE or Westinghouse with the nod going to GE. I combed the local wreckers and stocked up on them. They can be found on many cars, old trucks especially.

I have a 32K original car with GE, but, that's not saying they never got changed before I got the car 30 years ago. My Hawaii car built at Hamtramck has two different ones on it. A Tungsol and one that just says "Power Beam".
A fellow that I know has an original 1972 Cuda that he bought new in 1972. 2 different headlights from the factory......and you could tell the difference as you walked up to it.

This dataset covers '62-'74:

Sealbeam usage.jpg

This is as granular as my data gets, but I'd guess maybe not, given the note about CGE headlamps on Canadian-built cars.

-
Back