Headliner assistance

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Ive got a 1970 dodge dart that has the thick particle board type headliner in it. I want to make it look a little better so i want to upholster it with some vinyl. I do not wanna buy/install one of the vinyl/fabric ones that uses the wire hangers because i know for a fact im not skilled enough to glue it down/trim everything to fit and it will come out looking like Poo. Id much prefer to just upholster some vinyl to the current board one and then put it back in, but Ive noticed almost no glue in the world will stick to the vinyl test strip i bought from the fabric store. Wood glue doesn't work, contact cement doesn't work, epoxy doesn't work, superglue doesn't work, fabric glue doesn't work, absolutely nothing i have tried till stick to it.

Any ideas/tips?

3m headliner adhesive. But are you applying contact cement correctly? Glue on both pieces, let it tack up and then stick together? Did you get the old board clean?

Also 3M vinyl top adhesive works. Like George said spray both surfaces let tack up. Be sure of where you want it cause it sticks like crazy.

Also 3M vinyl top adhesive works. Like George said spray both surfaces let tack up. Be sure of where you want it cause it sticks like crazy.
You could try an upholstery shop, if they a pressurized glue pot.
Apply it to both items, and as someone mentioned, let it tack
for a few minutes.

Also, headliner material usually has a foam backing which seems to work better then plain vinyl. Spray can glue is one of those products where there is a big difference between 3M and "other" brands. IMHO

My upholstery guy lets the spray glue set for 6-8 hours so that it get really good and tacky, just be careful because it will get so sticky that if it touches anywhere it's "stuck" so be careful.

Treblig

thanks guys! Any sources for the foam backed vinyl?

the fabric head liners are not glued in, they have galvanized rods that slide thru cloth like tunnels, and fit in holes on each side then have clips that hold the sides go up under the inside trim, with springs on back at rear window, and mirror and sunvisors help hold up front,then you trim and tuck the excess under the rubber gaskets front and back, they didnt come out with the cardboard head liners until 73 or 74,so yours being a 70 model the holes are already on each side already, i have a 74 duster , got a nem cloth headliner for $65 and pulled the galvenized supports out of a 72 demon for$20, some are 4 rod and some use 6 rods , if you have headliner out look down each side and see if yours was 4 or 6 on original headliner...hope it helps, new cardboard headliner are between 2 and 3 hundred dollars and i dont like the way they look

just looked on forum for interior parts, whitepunkonitro has a set of galvanized bows for 67 thru 71 dart for $59,, i have done business with him b4, he is in middle tennessee, good guy to do business with

-
Back