Headliner help

-

moparaddiction

Reaction score
I am switching the headliner in my 72 dart to a earlier bow style. The roof frame is not set up to mount the retainng clips. I know the framing in earlier darts had elongated holes in each bow location... mine has three holes in each location. View attachment 2012-10-23_11-52-05_107.jpg Can someone please take some pics and measurements from a bow style roof frame for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I just pulled my headliner about a week ago and I believe those holes are what mine has. Three the same. I circled the ones that the bows were in as I removed them. Unfortunately I'm away from home and don't have pics right now. This was in a 71 Scamp, should be the same. I'm thinkin' you just use the best fitting holes though, because mine were not consistent all the way along.

Gdrill... are your bows bent at the ends to go into the holes? The set i have are not and need a retainer clip that the bow sits in. 2 for each bow.

Yes my bows do have bends at the end. I am new to this so I wasn't aware there was different styles. If you're not done by then, I will be back home next Tuesday and I will shoot some pics for ya.

One more thing you need to look at before you get too carried away is whether the points are there at the front and rear glass openings to hook the headliner onto. I looked into this very heavily for my '74 and decided against it since there are no points to hold the headliner. There is a retrofit kit out there, but they said to glue the ends. I just didn't see how that would hold tight enough to do anything. I ended up recovering my old hard headliner with new style material. Came out nice enough for me.

I do have the barbs around rear window and at the top of front window. Thanks for looking out cascius.

"I am switching the headliner in my 72 dart to a earlier bow style." I thought all 72 Darts had bow style or was this an early vs late year build thing. Just wondering.

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread because I have all the parts to switch my car over to the bow style, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hi 5th... all i know is that my 72 dart came with a molded headliner. My car was built in march of 72. I was under the impression that 71 was the last year for bow style from information I recieved from a Stephens mopar junkyard.

Thanks 6pk, but I need to know the placement of the slotted holes. I have put in headliners before... just never dealt with switching from a molded headliner to a bow style. The only thing holding me up is the placement of each slotted hole for the retainer cup to sit in.

That's the one measurement I didn't take when I did my headliner this summer. Somebody out there has to have a Dart with the interior gutted. I can measure the seams where the bows are- the distances of the front and rear from the window openings and then the spacings between each but that's about it.

Thanks robj... I dont know if that will help me with the placement within that pocket area. But, like you said somebody has to have one gutted.

I've been known to go to much effort to help members.
My problem is I dont have a similar car here.
I can tell you the mfgts didn't change stamping dies unless absolutely necessary.
If you have afabric headliner, unfold it and count the bow sleeves. Now look at the roof rail member for the same number of square impreesions in the metal. A little comparion measuring betwen bow sleeves hould provide a clue.
keep in mind that the bow doesn't stay in the sleev all the way to the clipped ends anyway. The sleeves get cut open to release the last few inches of the bow.

Mine is of course a 68 sedan and my headliner is out,if you think the hole placement in mine will help,let me know.I don't know if the headliners in a hardtop and sedan are the same,maybe someone here can let us know.Just tell me what you'd like pictures of.

Mine is of course a 68 sedan and my headliner is out,if you think the hole placement in mine will help,let me know.I don't know if the headliners in a hardtop and sedan are the same,maybe someone here can let us know.Just tell me what you'd like pictures of.

Not the same. Even B'cuda fast back and notch back are different in bow spacing.
What I was trying to say before is spacing from seam to seam right down the center of the roof should be a guide. The last bow should be right where the 2 keeper wires place it ( approx 3 inches ? ) Where the bow ends at isn't so critical since the seam doesn't follow the bow when finished anyway.
The end clips are flared so the bow can move within it too.
Upholstery isn't as precise as other fields/aspects of production.

It is a 5 bow and i need the position of the elongated holes which the retainer cups slide into... my 72 dart does not have them because it was a molded headliner car.

here is what i could find, if you need some measurements let me know or some other pics

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 008.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 007.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 006.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 004.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 295
Those pics are very helpful... and yes I would greatly appreciate the mearsurements for each hole placement in every pocket. Probably just the measurements on one side and I will do a mirror of it on the opposite side of car. Once again thank you.

I struggled trying to get you some measurments, holding the camera with one hand and the tape in the other. This is the driver side. I doubt these will help much, but you never know.

Attachments

• 68 valiant 005.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 68 valiant 004.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 68 valiant 003.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 68 valiant 001.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 260
-
Back