headliner installation early A

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
Can a headliner be successfully installed without removing the rear window?

I was going to chime in but I know breakstuff is working on a 65 Dart, which is a hardtop, so I'm not sure!! Hope the early dart community can come to the aid of a member here!! Geof

If you want to install a headliner properly in an early A, I would
recommend having both front and rear glass out of the car. The
headliner material is glued to the pinch welds front and rear. This
procedure would be the same for almost any 50's, 60's or 70's car
that use rubber gaskets to seal windshield and back glass.

If you want to install a headliner properly in an early A, I would
recommend having both front and rear glass out of the car. The
headliner material is glued to the pinch welds front and rear. This
procedure would be the same for almost any 50's, 60's or 70's car
that use rubber gaskets to seal windshield and back glass.

x2

Note that here are barbs throughout the front & back windows (under the gaskets) which the headliner hooks to. Virtually impossible to do correctly with the glass installed.

I disagree. As it may be more like the factory did it with the windows out, the headliners that I have put in were done with the windshields out, but never the back window. The original headliner wasn't under the back window on either car and I could hook it up easily on the little hooks back there. They have both been in the cars for over 15 years.

Just had a fastback done yesterday with back window in. It certainly is easier to do with it out, but other then a little more work and with the right tools he did it without a groan.

My headliner was 30 at a show, old stock in a bag. Still has crease marks 6 years after i installed it. No heat gun yet. Will never do that again, fingers hurt for a week. Took both windows out as the dragons teeth were under the gasket, butted up to the gasket and you had to hook the headliner over the teeth, not just shove up in there. Start in the middle by the post in a 4 door or similar in a coupe. Tight across and then tighten from there front and back one bow at a time. If a guy will do it for $100 plus headliner, run to the bank. Ill probably end up redoing it again as the rest of the interior is tits.

I disagree. As it may be more like the factory did it with the windows out, the headliners that I have put in were done with the windshields out, but never the back window. The original headliner wasn't under the back window on either car and I could hook it up easily on the little hooks back there. They have both been in the cars for over 15 years.

Same here, I was able to put mine in, was able to push the material beneath the back glass weatherstrip with a plastic knife. Turned out nice, if I do say so myself. Not sure I would want to do another one though!

Note that here are barbs throughout the front & back windows (under the gaskets) which the headliner hooks to. Virtually impossible to do correctly with the glass installed.

The keyword here is correctly. Forcing material under the gasket is not. My philosophy is take the required time & do the job in the highest quality possible. Taking the window out is really not that big of a deal.

Yup, I did a 64 Barracuda and 65 Valiant. Barracuda window out came out perfect. Valiant in, came out ok, it would have been better with the window out. Depends on what your looking for Steele Rubber has the front and rear windshield gasket.

-
Back