Heads for the 318

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
I'm thinking about what to do with my heads. I mean, what type of porting, valve sizes, polish or not... I'm thinking abour 1.88" / 1.60" valves but I'm not shure, it's the most common. Maybe a 3 angle valve job.. I don't know... :angry7:

Engine specs:

-318 bored 0.30 over
-The heads are milled 1mm, so the compression is about 9.8/1
-Mopar 284 solid cam - 241@0.50" and .528 lift - 112 lsa
-Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
-Holley 650cfm double pumper
-Headers and 2.5" exhaust with X-pipe

Thanks

check these guys out: http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id6.html
ready to run, unless you havea really cheap machine sop around you can't get your heads redone for these prices:
318 1968-1987 318 A-Engine Heads, 1.88X1.60 Stainless Valves, 67-70cc Open Chamber Design, .509" Lift Springs $399.00
pair

340-360 1968-1987 340-360 A-Engine Assem., 1.88 or 2.02X1.60 Stainless Valves, 67-70cc Open Chamber Design, .509" Lift Springs, 160cc Intake Port Volume $499.00
pair

Ha ha ha, OPS! He missed the area you live in....it happens.

Looking at your specs, I'd fully port the 318 head with the valves you mention. The valve job "3 angle cut" is a typical cut. The MoPar Engines book makes a very good description with angles that it should be cut at.

IF you can find a 318 4bbl. car, check to see if it has 360 heads. You'll need to know the casting numbers. There often located under the head, inbetween the intake runners close to the intake manifold in the middle.

Ok, we don't have 4bbl 318s here. It sucks...
It's possible to find some 360 heads arround here but it's very dificult and the prices are really high. We have a lot of 318 2bbl and Magnum heads too. But the magnums would require a lot of mods and my motor is already built... So I think my best choice is to port the stock heads.

I think so. The engine seems stout enuff for a 360 head or the 318 ported out to about a 360 heads window area. If you can get on a flow bench, see if you can get about 230+ cfm's without getting nutz on the porting. Granted now, it'll take a bit of work to get there on a 318 head.

Oh, and that band in the Avatar ROCK! Holy Moly! There good!

Either immport some 360 heads (make sure they are good cores) and have them done, or do a simple bowl blending and gasket matching (318 sized port) on what you have. Much beyond that and you might as well get better new heads.

While im sure shipping cost would be high the RHS Heads with 1.92 intake valves look like a good option.

Ha ha ha, OPS! He missed the area you live in....it happens.

Looking at your specs, I'd fully port the 318 head with the valves you mention. The valve job "3 angle cut" is a typical cut. The MoPar Engines book makes a very good description with angles that it should be cut at.

IF you can find a 318 4bbl. car, check to see if it has 360 heads. You'll need to know the casting numbers. There often located under the head, inbetween the intake runners close to the intake manifold in the middle.
Thanks Rumble I missed that my bad...

Rumblefish, if you really like Sepultura you can check out my band too: www.myspace.com/bandaredfront

I was checking some heads on ebay and the shipping is about U$250.00, the cheapest one. So I think it's not impossible to import a pair of heads. I've never bought nothing so heavy on ebay or summit, just cams, carb, that stuff.

The problem is to find a good set and a seller who accept the shipping to Brazil. I've found a pair of J heads for about U$400 but I think the 2.02/1.60 is more than I need and more expensive than the 360 ones.

@Relax360: The RHS seems to be a great choice, but it's too expensive for me... When I import something here I need to pay 60% in taxes over the product+shipping costs.

60% ouch I have a few old pairs of 360 heads I will look up the numbers on them for you.

Thanks Rumble I missed that my bad...
Ha ha ha, no problem, it happens.

60% ouch I have a few old pairs of 360 heads I will look up the numbers on them for you.

Good lookin out Relax. that is a hell of a mark up! Man-o-man!

Marcelo, is that a country tax thing? I had shipped something up to Canada and marked/inssured it for a replacement price of $300. Then the por fella had to pay taxes on a $300 part! I sooo flipped out and felt so so so so bad!
I'll never make that mistake again! Replacement cost/declared value? 2 cents!

Also, Sepultura is a bit heavy for me on a constant bassis, but ya, I like'em alot. I'll listen to most anything except whiney country, crazy horn blasting Jazz/mexican horn blasting tunes (Makes no sense to my ears) rap and in no way shape or form, regae...sp?!?!?! Ray-Gay...LOL!
Oh good lord, that music kills me dead!

always trying to help out

I went over to my storage unit to check out what I had.

I have 6 LA heads I aquired with my 67 cuda from the previous owner.

I have one 70-72 360 head casting number 3418915
I have one 77-86 360 head casting number 4027569

the other four are 318 head ranging from 1968-74 prob not worth the effort to try anf make them flow.

Not sure how different the flow would be between teh 915 and 569 head if anyone know please chime in.

I will work with you to try and get them down to you if interested.

Ha ha ha, no problem, it happens.

Good lookin out Relax. that is a hell of a mark up! Man-o-man!

Marcelo, is that a country tax thing? I had shipped something up to Canada and marked/inssured it for a replacement price of $300. Then the por fella had to pay taxes on a $300 part! I sooo flipped out and felt so so so so bad!
I'll never make that mistake again! Replacement cost/declared value? 2 cents!

Also, Sepultura is a bit heavy for me on a constant bassis, but ya, I like'em alot. I'll listen to most anything except whiney country, crazy horn blasting Jazz/mexican horn blasting tunes (Makes no sense to my ears) rap and in no way shape or form, regae...sp?!?!?! Ray-Gay...LOL!
Oh good lord, that music kills me dead!

Yep, in Brazil if I buy anything above U$50 (including shipping) I have to pay 60% of the total value to the government. So if I buy a U$500 set of heads and pay U$250 for the shipping, I have to pay U$450 in taxes. As most of the serious sellers on ebay won't declare a lower cost when shipping, we have no options...:angry7:

always trying to help out

I went over to my storage unit to check out what I had.

I have 6 LA heads I aquired with my 67 cuda from the previous owner.

I have one 70-72 360 head casting number 3418915
I have one 77-86 360 head casting number 4027569

the other four are 318 head ranging from 1968-74 prob not worth the effort to try anf make them flow.

Not sure how different the flow would be between teh 915 and 569 head if anyone know please chime in.

I will work with you to try and get them down to you if interested.

Shure I'm interested. If it's not a problem to you...

its no problem did you want any machine work done to them before i see about shipping?

you can have them for $100 us I don't need them I like big blocks

Big blocks are nice! lol

The heads still have the valves on them? Are they stock?

I don't know much abou these 360 heads, I think I will need to mill them to match the compression that I have with the 318 ones right?

they have valves and springs on them but they will need to be replaced most likely. I would get a valve job done and increase the size of the intake valves to 1.92 that should wake up your 318 nicely. yes they will have to be milled down some to bring compression up to where your 318 is now.

I will also include the rocker shafts if you want them.

ok, I have almost new springs here, and also the rocker arms, but not the shafts.

A lot of people say that it's better to use the 1.88"/1.60" on the 318s to keep the flow velocity high.

How much is a set of valves there?

if you wanna make something nice
with your combo you already have take
you can use is 915 heads
3 angle valve job with the 1.92 valve and 1.60
clean the bowl and match them to your intake port size
with the compression around 9.8 to 10 will make
a nice wake up little engine

done that before and was happy with that engine

PS. I understand what you meen with taxes
I leave in Quebec Canade where you the hogher taxes in canada
thats why I try to buy the more as I can in Canada

if you wanna make something nice
with your combo you already have take
you can use is 915 heads
3 angle valve job with the 1.92 valve and 1.60
clean the bowl and match them to your intake port size
with the compression around 9.8 to 10 will make
a nice wake up little engine

done that before and was happy with that engine

PS. I understand what you meen with taxes
I leave in Quebec Canade where you the hogher taxes in canada
thats why I try to buy the more as I can in Canada

Do you know how much milling I need? I don't want to **** up with the intake manifold alignment. :toothy10:

yes, taxes sux... In Brazil there's no the cool cars culture like in USA, here most of people like the "fast and furious" stuff... So there's no much parts, and everything is expensive.

Mareclo, If I sell you a set of heads , lets say, brand spankin new Edelbrocks for there going price of lets just say $1400, and spend another $100 in shipping, just couldn't say the total value of the package is $101 and you'd pay for the total sum of $101 reguardless of what is in the box?

I'm guessing, if I shipped you a present for your birthday, it would be free then? Just sayin. Thinking out loud here a second.......

-
Back