heads

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
Thinking about the mopar aluminum heads(63cc)for a commando crate engine with comp xe268,stock compression maybe 9:2?not 100% sure as motor never apart.Will this be enough comp. for these?installed should be 10:2ish.don't want edelbrocks(long story) any advice,4200lb 77 custom 100,mopar muscle car convertor crappy 3:21 gears.I know,I know gears,gears,eventually.

Thinking about the mopar aluminum heads(63cc)for a commando crate engine with comp xe268,stock compression maybe 9:2?not 100% sure as motor never apart.Will this be enough comp. for these?installed should be 10:2ish.don't want edelbrocks(long story) any advice,4200lb 77 custom 100,mopar muscle car convertor crappy 3:21 gears.I know,I know gears,gears,eventually.

MP heads are just crap! I would stay away from anything MP. They need to realize that if they want us to pay ridiculous prices they should at least provide us with top notch products AND service!
I would only use eddy heads or EQ cast iron or maybe the new RHS heads.

Are the mopar heads really that bad,are the eddy heads really that good?what are the advantages of them,and is this enough comp.with these installed?

MP heads are notorious for casting issues which can be seen. But things like seats being out, guides being out of place (like not positioned properly), chamber sizes being all over... they simply are terribly executed. The guys that say they were fine simply lack the tenacity or tooling to check them. RPMs are better done, although they also have guide sizing and sometimes seat and surface finish issues. So any aftermarket head should be gone thru carefully prior to running.

Are the mopar heads really that bad,are the eddy heads really that good?what are the advantages of them,and is this enough comp.with these installed?

The XE 268 cam is a great cam and will work nice for you. Eddy heads with some "strategic porting" to speed up the air in the port, and 9.5:1 will make gobs and gobs of TQ!

I like Brodix but there pricey, but well worth the money. I agree that the new MP and some of the old stuff had plenty of issues but hey what can you expect when you don't do the castings your self. Now MP uses all Edlebrock heads for there Stage 6 and small block stuff in aluminum. I think that MP only offers 2 cast iron versions, one for the big blocks and one for the small blocks. But then who knows whos casting them.

the cummins foundry was doing some..
i know they are out for bid right now...
and the word was out that a certain un named co....with mopar friendly owners where in the running..
not sure what the outcome will be?
and i dont know the above mention d company
cheapst.

ps ..the W2 and W5 heads make killer heads..
i have no experience rpm eddies..
but i have a set of large commandos
the architecture seems good dont know how well the machine
work is..as i havent blue printed them ..
but should be a good performance head..good ports.high guides
nice exhaust shape..the flow in the 250 range out of the box..
i think bobby flowed them out of the box? he might have numbers.
i know side by side on the same bench they flowed more...(memory?)
cheapst
cheapst

Thanks everyone for the info.really haven't decided on heads yet but that being said would prefer alum.over iron only for the weight,if anyone has a set of reasonably priced good heads iron or alum. I could be interested.These will be for my daily driver so I dont want to make it to hairy as it is driven all year +30/-40 winter and summer,if it is any colder I take the wifes escape(much warmer).Interestingly if you take a cup of water outside in the winter and throw the water in the air it will freeze before it hits the ground,so reliability is priority.

I have a set of edelbrock heads that I ported and the customer changed projects so they are just sitting there.
PM me for pricing.

BJR how would I be able to tell the diff. from edelbrock castings for mopar and another casting.I'm assuming that MP doesn't want edelbrock name on parts they are selling.

The Edlebrock castings look like regular eddies but with the mopar logo on them. I saw a set like this at the Div. 2 race last weekend. The mopar casted heads look like a original production casting but with the old mopar logo on them as part of the casting, not stampped like the eddies.

You can say what you want but I love my w5's and would use a pair of large port commandos in a heartbeat if I couldn't get W5's.

I agree that the W-5's and the larger port aluminum commandos are very good heads, and I would take a set right along with you. But the larger port commandos now are iron, and at last check with mopar the larger port P # cross' over to the 177 cc small port commando heads. And for $1,200.00 the RHS heads would be a better deal. Has anyone had a set of the ProComp heads in there hands? Just sourious about them or are they like the RHS heads.

Well I would like to have the aluminums just for weight,I do have a set of J's,maybe 72's in the basement,with .050" off the face a good 5 angle valve job port matched and light blending wouldn't these flow as good as untouched eddys.I seem to remember reading this in another post.Everyone seems to have a strong opinion on which way to go on this and I can only afford to do this once.

It should also be noted the W5 series was canacelled because of the attrition rate from poor castings and MP lost thier shirts on them. They are a phenominal head but take a lot to get even operational. there was a big thread on them on Moparts a few years ago about trying to get MP to make them again. At that point they still had the core boxes for them.

Moper did you ever do anything with the mancini motor you bought?

It's true the W5's are cancelled but they are still available used. The latest castings are great. No problems with them. The W9's don't look bad but they are more exotic.

If water is freezing before it hits the ground and you only have high 9's maybe 10.1 comp w/aluminum heads and it's a street car/daily driver.....

Just run iron heads.jmo

And for those who think eddy heads are better than mopar heads, you must of not run w2's before.

Eddy's need to be around $950-1000 a pair for the lil they offer untouched.

Love my Edelbrocks,with some mild port work they perform excellent..w2's are a very good IRON head...

One key thing you have to understand about eddies heads...
when they designed them ....they realise that an all out race head will never reach the margins they need to sell..
they made the heads fit into the, "stock upgrade market"..thats where they where gonna move more units and make a profit..
you can't put a race ported head with huge CC's or CSa on a mild stock restofied street car and expect them to perform well in all road situations..
the benifit to the eddies is they allow room to port and make some decent power....a new casting, fresh head with decent power is gonna be more market able..
let the porting companies figure out what YOU need and port to suit your combo...
the small port commando's fit this adjenda as well...
thats why they still have a part number for them..and the large port is discon'd.....not enough of a units moved...(although on that topic ill be the first to admitt if the large port commando heads..helll any mopar heads where priced more competitive ...they would sell better. but i digress)
cheapst

-
Back