Healights

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
Im just wondering how many watts the stock headlights are? Im ordering HIDs and i just want to see if i can use the existing wiring with out frying any wires.

Thanks

I would suggest running your headlights off of relays. This way you get a direct pull off the battery and not thru the fire prone bulkhead connector. I would suggest this for any older car as it's just safer and the headlights tend to just be brighter this way. They get the full voltage/amps.

64dartwagon said:
I would suggest running your headlights off of relays. This way you get a direct pull off the battery and not thru the fire prone bulkhead connector. I would suggest this for any older car as it's just safer and the headlights tend to just be brighter this way. They get the full voltage/amps.

well i already did the wiring upgrade and got rid of the bulkhead problem and i also am using a 1 wire alt. the HIDs are only 35watts. I just want to make sure it will be fine to use the stock wiring?

Sublime69 said:
the HIDs are only 35watts. I just want to make sure it will be fine to use the stock wiring?

At what amp load, I think most newer style of headlights run higher amps. It's easy to run the relays, and you could probably just splice them in line with the factory harness, with just an extra wire.

I think the stock headlights should be 55w low beams and 60w high beams. Are you using a kit for the HIDs? If you are where did you get it?

My headlights are the H4 type. Cut glass reflectors kinda like the tri-bar headlights. I put my system together with two standard 30amp bosch type relays, with pigtail bases. I would wait till you got your kit to see the requirements. I use one relay for low beam for both headlights, and one for high beam. Do you have a link to the kit you are getting?

Dartwagon

I am looking for HIDs my audi has them and they are the best headlights I have ever had! I have been looking for a kit that comes with the ballast and bulbs. The H4s are ok but HIDs are awsome.

That they are but I don't want to spend more for headlights than I paid for my headers. I am quite happy with my H4's as they are actually white, but that is also helped by being fed the proper amount of power. Just going to halogens from incandescents is a big help. I don't miss the glow of my headlights at an idle with the heater on, and wipers.

Just by adding relays to stock lighting will make all the differance in the world, your just getting full voltage to the lights and all the strain off of the harness...!

I am getting a conversion kit off of ebay to convert form the standard H6024 bulbs to an H4 bulb. You can find them on ebay for about $30-$50.. Then you can buy the HID kit to convert from an H4 bulb to HIDs. I am just getting th cheaper ones for about $130 on ebay but that is just from low beams. There are other places that sell a high/low HID but there about $350-$450.The HIDs dont have fillements so there is a moving shield that just directs the light up for th "high" beams.. I figured i rarely ever use the high beams so ill go the cheap route.

So you found some man.. right on.. you need to take a picture for me when you get them.. so i can see whats all in the kit.

Hope it looks sweet.. the difference it will make.. man o man

-
Back