Heat cost

-

tekslk

Reaction score
Well finally got heat in the garge, put 100 gallons of heating fuel in the tank, and was wondering what price would be a good one to lock in at for fill up? I paid 3.75 a gallon and Im guessing it will come down but any guess on how much it will drop?

I would not "bet" on it coming down, it is going to depend on politics. Could easily go either way, and I certainly would not bet on "down." Also, a certain amount of change is going to occur right in your local area and will be different "out here", driven by transportation and state taxes, etc.

Any opinions?

You are right near coal country....Should have went coal heat...I heated my whole house and hot water on 6 ton/yr @ 160.00 ton.....960.00 a year....not too mention, that I am giving my money to local coal mines and miners.....Not greedy oil companies and Arab sheiks....can't beat that...Just my opinion

I go up route 61 once a week and come back 901 I would love to give to the miners the oil was just ready available, and cleaner for me. Whats going on now with politics,oil usually comes down in the spring?

In todays world it's hard to say which way it will go,as said it's all about politics...and greed....and we pay for it...

I would not "bet" on it coming down, it is going to depend on politics. Could easily go either way, and I certainly would not bet on "down." Also, a certain amount of change is going to occur right in your local area and will be different "out here", driven by transportation and state taxes, etc.

X-2 ..... Heating fuel oil has been high priced in Pa and Ohio for years. You may get a better price in mid summer but only by a few pennies. These high prices caused me to go from oil to propane when it was time for a new furnace. Propane is consistently .75 to $1.00 per gallon less than oil here in western pa.

Well and the whole thing it ALL is driven by politics. Oil is the driving force, and labor fights enter in, as well. There is no "easy pass"

I paid 3.75 a gal the end of Jan. don't know what it is at now but for sure will need another tank before this cold weather is over. Russ the propane prices jumped higher than the fuel oil here. when my last del. the driver told me it had just jumped from 2.96 to 4.00 and I read it in the paper the very next day.They get what the traffic bears and this has been an extremely long and cold winter. No reason it should cost more than gasoline. less work refining it and red dyed oil is for off road use and therefore not paying road use tax. Sorry for the rant, it just seems like you can't get a break on anything anymore.

I believe so. The trick is, you don't want to get caught using home heating / farm oil on the highway. Years ago, even before factory diesel pickups became popular, some of the local loggers here were going around putting various diesels in mostly 1T Ferd 4x pickups. They started putting slip tanks in them to "fuel up" their log skidders and "accidently" plumbed 'em right into the pickup fuel systems. The enforcement guys got wise and laid a trap. It cost a few of em a bit of coin

Hey, it ain't that hard. All you have to do is crawl under there and look at the feed plumbing!!!

I paid 3.75 a gal the end of Jan. don't know what it is at now but for sure will need another tank before this cold weather is over. Russ the propane prices jumped higher than the fuel oil here. when my last del. the driver told me it had just jumped from 2.96 to 4.00 and I read it in the paper the very next day.They get what the traffic bears and this has been an extremely long and cold winter. No reason it should cost more than gasoline. less work refining it and red dyed oil is for off road use and therefore not paying road use tax. Sorry for the rant, it just seems like you can't get a break on anything anymore.

My last fill up was delivered December 21st. The price was $2.85 per gallon. I still have 25% in the tank which should last the rest of this winter. I'm certain that propane is substantially higher right now but it will come down. In contrast, heating oil has been high, well above $3.50 for the last several years. I also notice that heating fuel prices vary considerably from one location to another. Some suppliers more so than others are known to take advantage of their customers. Sad.........

I believe so. The trick is, you don't want to get caught using home heating / farm oil on the highway. Years ago, even before factory diesel pickups became popular, some of the local loggers here were going around putting various diesels in mostly 1T Ferd 4x pickups. They started putting slip tanks in them to "fuel up" their log skidders and "accidently" plumbed 'em right into the pickup fuel systems. The enforcement guys got wise and laid a trap. It cost a few of em a bit of coin

Hey, it ain't that hard. All you have to do is crawl under there and look at the feed plumbing!!!

Before retiring I was employed by CSX as a Railroad Locomotive Engineer for 35 years. Back in the 80's everyone who worked at the engine house/fueling facility drove Volkswagen Rabbits or Gm diesel powered vehicles. Until now, I always wondered why.....LOL

This is still cheaper than electric Im calling a few places tomorrow.

-
Back