heat could be warmer!

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
getting cold and I wish my heat was warmer. Newly purchase 72 dart with /6. no AC; the gauge reads on the low side of the normal range. heat works just not toasty. ideas? flush/change antifreeze? thermostat? thanks

getting cold and I wish my heat was warmer. Newly purchase 72 dart with /6. no AC; the gauge reads on the low side of the normal range. heat works just not toasty. ideas? flush/change antifreeze? thermostat? thanks

Flush the heater core. Often the cure and costs nothing.

check out your coolant-- how nasty is it-- could be the heater core is clogged with bar's leak-- could be a "t" stat that is too cold-- many issues.

how hot does your heater hoses get?

an after market gauge will assist, will give you temp of coolant circulating.

start simple, check coolant cleanliness, T stat temp, radiator cap, is collant circulating-- then go from there.

Lawrence

Search for the thread Rani started on this. Nearly identical

I'd start with a flush of the heater core. Undo both hoses to the core then use your garden hose on one side then the other. You'll probably find all kinds of nasty stuff coming out. Once clean you'll have plenty of heat.

My slant did the same thing when I bought it...clogged heater core.
The thing will just about roast marshmallows now ;)
Do you still have the valve in the heater line? that could also be limiting flow to the core.

Flush everything new coolant , 195 ther, and new rad cap .I remember one time i had an old 73 dodge truck slant 6 could never get heat change averything , believe it or not took the water pump off and if i remember three prop fins gone , was not ciculating .One thing to look for is when it is running with the thermostat open make sure it is circulating in the rad , and slants are buggers to air lock also.

-
Back